Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roku issue with my 809

+6
david0406
flint350
OnkyoUSA
Semp1
tasdisr
d6500k
10 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Roku issue with my 809 - Page 3 Empty Re: Roku issue with my 809

Post  d_ball_busta Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:05 pm

Hmmmm.... I did see this after googling ROKU PINK VIDEO and the 1st thing to pop off was the ROKU forum.. http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?p=335239&sid=44ae140ac211b3a583829b1256588ad1.

I believe they also have a solution there as well.. but I haven't tried it yet.. It was good to see that not only my model receiver is affected, as a Pioneer receiver and a TV without a receiver is also showing the same issue. So my problem now lies with Roku now; but after reading- this seems to affect only AV receivers and not TVs. Makes sense because TVs do not output in 5.1 Dolby.

Extremely pissed that it took forever to get an answer; but atleast its something.

d_ball_busta

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:13 pm

Glad to read this has been resolved and has been identified being an issue with other manufacturers; we would advise those affected by this issue to contact Roku Customer Service regarding this issue. There will provide assistance for their devices and resolution towards this issue.

If you have any more questions or concerns regarding any Onkyo products, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (Monday - Sunday 24 hours a day: (800) 229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT).

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  vandregraff Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:56 am

OnkyoUSA wrote:We apologize for the tardiness of our response reagrding this issue; but after extensive researching- we have discovered this is an issue with Roku and not soley our receivers. If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator

Did you contact ROKU and explain the issue.

Many people are trying to use ROKU's and Onkyo receivers - ROKU is saying it is an Onkyo problem and you are saying it is a ROKU problem - I hope you are talking to each other.

vandregraff

Back to top Go down

Roku issue with my 809 - Page 3 Empty Attn OnkyoUSA

Post  vandregraff Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:23 am

OnkyoUSA,

Really no update? As before...

Many people are trying to use ROKU's and Onkyo receivers - ROKU is saying it is an Onkyo problem and you are saying it is a ROKU problem - I hope you are talking to each other.

vandregraff

Back to top Go down

Post  d_ball_busta Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:49 pm

vandregraff wrote:OnkyoUSA,

Really no update? As before...

Imma hafta bust ya bubble- i dont work for them (thank god lol).. but I also tried it out with a 5.1 soundbar (Vizio) and Altec 5.1 computer speakers- same result.. tried waiting on Roku and they don't have an answer themselves.. I'm screwed until someone fixes it.. I wanted to see if my soundbar will work with no issues..

d_ball_busta

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:41 pm

Thank you for feedback regarding this issue with Roku. If we have any more information regarding their resolution to this issue; we will promptly provide them for our customers.

Thank you again;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  vandregraff Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:03 am

OnkyoUSA wrote:Thank you for feedback regarding this issue with Roku. If we have any more information regarding their resolution to this issue; we will promptly provide them for our customers.

Thank you again;

Forum Moderator

So have you contacted ROKU?

As before - Many people are trying to use ROKU's and Onkyo receivers - ROKU is saying it is an Onkyo problem and you are saying it is a ROKU problem - I hope you are talking to each other.

vandregraff

Back to top Go down

Post  d_ball_busta Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:57 pm

Try this: (I used a Monster M650 cable and it is working so far) ROKU FORUM POST URL: http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=49088&start=45.

From the Roku forum:
I just read some of this thread this morning and had never experienced the pink screen. Then this afternoon, I started watching a movie on HBO GO and got a pinkish/purple screen as soon as it started playing. Everything was fine up to that point.

I have a Roku2 XS and it's hooked up via HDMI directly to the 6 yr. old Phillips TV. My AVR doesn't have an HDMI input so I run the sound out from the TV to the receiver.

I had sound at first, just had the purplish screen. I turned off each pc. of equipment and then restarted them and nothing fixed it. I went to Netflix and tried playing a TV show there and it looked and sounded okay but HBO GO still gave me the problem.

I had just recently changed the HDMI cable to one I thought was "better". Apparently it wasn't because when I replace the cable with the original one, the purple screen went away and the picture is fine. Seems, at least for me, that the issue is the cable and not the Roku.

Having this problem connecting directly to either AV receiver or directly to TV.. same pink screen.. as a test- connected directly to SAMSUNG 46 " LED TV and streaming DRIVE from NETFLIX.. I have a pink screen.. even tried as suggested and use a MONSTER HDMI HI-SPEED ETHERNET cable (M650 cable) and same pink screen.. and try calling ROKU- you will get the run-around and not get a clear answer.. Its as if the RGB video signal is distorted when using DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1 ( becuase I forgot to switch it when I moved the connection from my two receivers at work onto the TV. I been asking to speak with a senior rep or engineer and have been getting the run around.. MARK MY WORDS- Im selling this crap on craigslists and getting a APPLE TV ASAP..

lol! - Step it up guys!!

d_ball_busta

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:01 pm

We have repeatedly contacted their Customer Service department and awaited contact from Roku's Engineering department; but have currently received NO correspondence. We have requested to converse with their Engineering and R & D departments and have not received any response. We are still awaiting a response from Roku regarding this issue.

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  david0406 Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:47 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:We have repeatedly contacted their Customer Service department and awaited contact from Roku's Engineering department; but have currently received NO correspondence. We have requested to converse with their Engineering and R & D departments and have not received any response. We are still awaiting a response from Roku regarding this issue.

Forum Moderator

I just pasted this response on two different threads in the Roku support forums. Maybe it wil get you a response from Roku. Or not.

david0406

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:11 pm

david0406 wrote:
OnkyoUSA wrote:We have repeatedly contacted their Customer Service department and awaited contact from Roku's Engineering department; but have currently received NO correspondence. We have requested to converse with their Engineering and R & D departments and have not received any response. We are still awaiting a response from Roku regarding this issue.

Forum Moderator

I just pasted this response on two different threads in the Roku support forums. Maybe it wil get you a response from Roku. Or not.

Thank you for your assistance with this issue.

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:34 pm

UPDATE: This was submitted to our engineer's email:

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
We will forward this case to our concern department and get back to you with an update as soon as possible.
We appreciate your continued patience and understanding in this concern.
Regards,
Bruce
Roku Customer Service

We will await any further response from Roku's Engineering department and advise you promptly.

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  david0406 Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:05 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:UPDATE: This was submitted to our engineer's email:

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
We will forward this case to our concern department and get back to you with an update as soon as possible.
We appreciate your continued patience and understanding in this concern.
Regards,
Bruce
Roku Customer Service

We will await any further response from Roku's Engineering department and advise you promptly.

Forum Moderator

Our concern department? Ugh.... Rolling Eyes Sounds a little like a blowoff response. Hope not though.

david0406

Back to top Go down

Post  d6500k Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:59 pm

I want to thank Onkyo for their efforts to date. While I do feel that the time factor was way too long (I started this thread Aug 1st), Onkyo at least I feel, has responded.

I'll also apologize for my lack of patience. I've said some things here that I probably should have kept between Onkyo and myself only.

I know there will always be glitches especially in todays times as new tech is brought to market. The Mod for this forum has a job that I'd last at for about 2 weeks.

If there was one issue that I could present as an opportunity for Onkyo in general, it would be to respond evenly to older and the new issues as they arise just to assure we consumers that Onkyo is "on it".

My other outlets and forums will be notified that from at least the Onkyo perspective, the Roku Issue is indeed a ROKU ISSUE.

With respect and regards

Doug Kinne

d6500k

http://www.6500kcalibrations.com

Back to top Go down

Post  d6500k Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:12 pm

Still nothing from Roku? They (roku) reported on their site that they had contacted Onkyo. True?

Thanks,

Doug k

d6500k

Back to top Go down

Roku issue with my 809 - Page 3 Empty Perhaps the Engineers cab use this, Empirical Black level data

Post  d6500k Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:51 am

I also posted this on the Roku site

Black Level empirical data
by d6500k » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:14 pm

Black level empirical data: 11-13-12

This morning I measured with my spectroradiometer (GretagMacbeth eye-one monitor) and Chroma Pure calibration software, the raw data in the xl files below.

The important data on the files in this test are the Y, or brightness if you will, confirming the disparity of black level imagery with DD+ or 5.1 DD engaged on the Roku device between standard and expanded color space.

While using Netflix, you must engage DD+ as you select the film. Amazon’s 5.1DD must be engaged in the setup menu for the Roku itself.

Included in the Amazon data are figures for relatively low black levels and then for much brighter whites. I did not test for white level clipping as while that can be an issue, it generally is less concerning and less prevalent with today’s display tech. The Netfix data are just for low black levels.

In both cases, you will find that on a properly calibrated display, nearly a 50% difference in deep black levels occurs between using 16-235 and 0-255 color spaces. The result is a severe “black crush” when any Dolby Digital format is used with the Roku and any display set to 16-235.

Again, to be clear, this only occurs with DD engaged. If the roku is connected to a display directly and/or the AVR/PREPRO cannot decode DD, the issue will not occur. The Roku must “feed to” a device that will decode DD (+ and 5.1). Most display (TV) black level controls alone will not be able to compensate for this anomaly. The user must implement the expanded 0-255 color space, hopefully in their control package of their display.

This anomaly appears now to be more widespread than originally thought. It seems that reports from consumers owning a variety of AVR’s are reporting the issue.

In case the forum will not allow the actual files to be downloaded, the raw data are as follows. In foot lamberts btw.
DD+ and NetFlix
16-235 color space = Y 0.945975
0-255 color space = Y 1.774469
5.1 and Amazon
16=235 color space = Y 0.824255
0-255 color space = Y 1.450165
And at brighter levels….
16-235 color space = Y 25.34415
0-255 color space = Y 23.84475

The files are available from me by email.

Conclusion: If you seem to see a very dark, or darker than what you would consider to be normal from your other sources, image from the roku while any DD is engaged, it is due to the roku sending a 0-255 color space signal with the embedded DD. A temporary patch is to switch your display to the expanded color space, if possible, when enjoying DD and roku streams.

Doug k

AMAZON
CreationDate Color x y Y
11/13/2012 9:15 White 0.288529515 0.320388327 0.824255009 16-235
11/13/2012 9:15 White 0.304438144 0.324526529 1.450165192 0-255
11/13/2012 9:16 White 0.314194431 0.327105522 25.34415372 16-235
11/13/2012 9:16 White 0.314567109 0.326452434 23.84474818 0-255

NETFLIX
CreationDate Color x y Y
11/13/2012 9:01 White 0.302467624 0.320607781 0.945975324 16-235
11/13/2012 9:02 White 0.314697504 0.326658656 1.774469296 0-255
d6500k

d6500k

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:30 pm

d6500k wrote:Still nothing from Roku? They (roku) reported on their site that they had contacted Onkyo. True?

Thanks,

Doug k

We are still awaiting correspondence from Roku's Engineering dept- as we have already re-posted a response to their forum as other communication avenues are not working with Roku.

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  d6500k Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Thanks a ton!

I'll post your reply to me over there as well.

If my experiment above sheds any light, please pass it on to your techs.

In addition over at Roku, one of the folks asked me a series of questions which I answered. I'm posting that transcript below.

Thanks again!

Doug k

by d6500k » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:15 pm

I have some Qs. (Roku5)

I’ll answer in caps for ease of all hopefully. Not shouting

When you preformed the test,

- What was the TV make/model? (the exact model#) PANASONIC XXG25
- What was the title from Netflix in 5.1? ACT OF VALOR
- What was the title from Netflix in stereo? SAME*
- What was the title from Amazon in 5.1? THE MAGIC OF BELLE ISLE
- What was the title from Amazon in stereo? Same*

=====================================

• The AVR (Onkyo TX-NR809) is in use. CORRECT

(Roku > AVR > TV)

1. When,

- Onkyo “video processor” is disabled (set to “Direct”),
- TV “RGB-range” set to “standard” (16-235)
- Netflix title in 5.1
- Amazon title in 5.1
- Did the test results show > “black crush” or “Good colors”? BLACK CRUSH
2. When,

- Netflix title in stereo
- Amazon title in stereo
- Did the test results show > “black crush” or “Good colors”? CALIBRATED OR “GOOD COLORS”

-------------------

3. When,

- TV “RGB-range” set to “non-Standard” (0-255)
- Netflix title in 5.1
- Amazon title in 5.1
- Did the test results show > “black crush” or “Good colors”? CALIBRATED

4. When,

- Amazon title in stereo
- Did the test results show > “black crush” or “Good colors”? TOO BRIGHT

----------------

5. When,

- TV “RGB-range” set to “Auto” (0-255)
- Netflix title in 5.1
- Amazon title in 5.1
- Did the test results show > “black crush” or “Good colors”? BLACK CRUSH (AUTO ACTS AS STANDARD)
6. When,

- Amazon title in stereo
- Did the test results show > “black crush” or “Good colors”? CALIBRATED (ACTS AS STANDARD)
==============

7. When,

- Onkyo “video processor” is enabled (set to “Custom”),
- Netflix title in 5.1
- Amazon title in 5.1
- Did the test results show > “black crush” or “Good colors”? PINK SCREEN
8. When,

- Amazon title in stereo

-------------------

9. When,

- Netflix title in 5.1
- Amazon title in 5.1
- Did the test results show > “black crush” or “Good colors”? NA PINK SCREEN

10. When,

- Amazon title in stereo
- Did the test results show > “black crush” or “Good colors”? TOO BRIGHT

===============

11. When,

- Netflix title in 5.1
- Amazon title in 5.1
- Did the test results show > “black crush” or “Good colors”? PINK SCREEN

12. When,

- Amazon title in stereo
- Did the test results show > “black crush” or “Good colors”? CALIBRATED (AUTO ACTS AS STANDARD)

=====================================

• The AVR (Onkyo TX-NR809) is NOT in use.

Roku is connected directly to your TV (bypass the AVR)
(Roku > TV) MY DISPLAY DOES NOT DECODE DD, THEREFORE THE USE OF EXPANDED COLOR SPACE PRODUCES TOO HIGH OF A BLACK LEVEL.

13. When,

- Netflix title in 5.1
- Amazon title in 5.1
14. When,

- Amazon title in stereo

-------------------

15. When,

- Netflix title in 5.1
- Amazon title in 5.1
- Did the test results show > “black crush” or “Good colors”? TOO BRIGHT**

16. When,

- Amazon title in stereo
- Did the test results show > “black crush” or “Good colors”? TOO BRIGHT**

----------------

17. When,

- TV “RGB-range” set to “Auto”
- Netflix title in 5.1
- Amazon title in 5.1
- Did the test results show > “black crush” or “Good colors”? CALIBRATED (AUTO ACTS AS STANDARD)

18. When,

- TV “RGB-range” set to “Auto”
- Amazon title in stereo

Btw, ‘d you say the “black crush” on your TV is noticeable by the naked eye? or do you need a spectroradiometer to conclude that? NAKED EYE. THE SPEC JUST VARIFIED/MEASURED THE RESULTS.

* Using a “stereo” pcm 2.0 film produces the exact results of defeating the DD in either the Netflix film menu or in the case of Amazon, the Roku set-up menu.
** “TOO BRIGHT”. Use of the expanded color space of 0-255 exposes the difference between roku’s transmission and that of all my other devices with DD or PCM programming.
In other words, with the expanded color space used while DD is engaged and the program is carrying the DD signal, the picture is perfect (while in the Onkyo direct mode only).
With pcm films and 16-235 colorspace engaged (whether the Onkyo is in “Direct Mode” or not), the picture is calibrated. With pcm films and 0-255 colorspace engaged, the picture will deliver too high of a black level.
A note:
Changing the colorspace from any of my other components, a cable box, a Sony BD player and even an HF900 Sony Betamax, DOES NOT AFFECT the black levels through the Onkyo to the display, no matter what the Onkyo processor is set to.
Wow, whatatest!
Doug k
d6500k

d6500k

Back to top Go down

Post  david0406 Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:11 pm

This was posted on the Roku forum. True??

Re: Black Level empirical data
by RokuShawnS » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:51 pm

We did, but I haven't received an update yet from the guys who were handling it. From what I recall, we didn't have these specific units in-house, but were discussing with Onkyo on getting them in so we can test it (because we've yet to reproduce it on anything else).

C. Shawn Smith
Forum Community Liaison

david0406

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:05 pm

I am forwarding this to the appropriate department for update- will advise promptly.

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  d6500k Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:57 pm

Thanks for staying with this Onkyo Mod.

I've detached myself completely from the Roku Forum as they are, to put it politely since it is a Holiday, no help at all.

I've blamed my 809 at times in this thread in error. I apologize.

The Roku, besides the Pink screen issue, outputs 0-255 colorspace when also outputting DD+ or 5.1DD. At all other times the Roku outputs 16-235.

Doug k

d6500k

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:05 pm

d6500k wrote:Thanks for staying with this Onkyo Mod.

I've detached myself completely from the Roku Forum as they are, to put it politely since it is a Holiday, no help at all.

I've blamed my 809 at times in this thread in error. I apologize.

The Roku, besides the Pink screen issue, outputs 0-255 colorspace when also outputting DD+ or 5.1DD. At all other times the Roku outputs 16-235.

Doug k

Thank you very much for your updated response; as we have repreatedly tried contacting Roku and still haven't spoken to anyone in their Engineering department. I really appreciate this message because you were the ABSOLUTE 1st person to bring this issue to our attention and thru all this time; we have conversed repeatedly and wanted to work on a resolution. We are still awaiting a response from Roku as well and will update the forum accordingly for others afflicted with this issue.

Enjoy the Holiday weekend;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Roku issue with my 809 - Page 3 Empty Roku and NR717?

Post  AZMedia Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:52 pm

Thanks d6500k and others for visibility on this issue. It's been 18 months since the NR809 was released. Thanks to you, Onkyo just started to address this issue. I can suspect the 2012 NR models will have the same issue.

I just ordered online the Roku2 XS and NR717 about 4 hours ago, then stumbled into this thread. Past research reading the Marvell QDEO Processor web page explains it's purpose for imrpoving online/streaming content, "...designed using a suite of "quiet video" technologies to produce video at up to full high-definition 1080p. Delivers consistently high-quality video despite the source". Doesn't it seem odd, maybe even embarrassing that it doesn't work with the #1 selling streaming device (Roku)?

I purchased the 717 to avoid the 515/616 HDMI issues and their firmware updates. I'm burned out on technology that doesn't work. I will cancel the order, start the AV receiver search all over again. I can remember a time when forums and reviews didn't exist, and stuff worked as intended.

ONKYO TEAM: If you are not getting response from Roku with your "phone calls" and emails to executives , send this note:
On behalf of the global team at Onkyo, we apologize if we have offended or angered anyone at Roku, Inc. Our recent communication attempts were to simply discuss our recurring product compatibility issue. to the receiver of this message, please insure this apology reaches your executive management team. Again, we are truly sorry for any inconvenience we might have caused.

This approach works, 100%.

AZMedia

Back to top Go down

Post  d6500k Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:28 pm

Just so you are aware, the roku is the only streaming device that causes the problem. I've heard of reports that Yamaha and Pioneer AVRS have also been affected with the roku in the loop.

Streaming HD is still a relatively new option. With the addition of DD+ and 5.1DD embeds and how, for example, Netflix "ramps up" the datastream flow... The Beta Tester theory is alive and well in 2012.

On the other hand, the SOUND from my 809 even with a semi modest speaker suite, is superb!

Doug k

d6500k

Back to top Go down

Post  david0406 Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:50 am

Doug,
Thought I had my handshake issue fixed with the Roku2 and switching inputs between my STB and Roku2 after DD+51.1 or DD 5.1 on the Roku2 by changing the colorspace output to RGB on the STB. While that does indeed fix the handshake issue when switching between the STB and Roku2 after a dd+ or 5.1 stream it makes the picture on the TV picture look like crap. So I changed the STB back to ouput YCC 4:4:4 to get the better picture on my TV and of course the handshake issue occurs again when switching inputs after said streams. I just have one question. If I were to put some sort of HDMI switch ( 1 input 2 output) from the monitor out on the AVR then have the Roku2 connected to a different input on the TV so the macro on the Harmony One changes the Roku2 to a different input on the TV when " watching Roku" , would that possibly eliminate the handshake issue? Would that even work? I would not want to have to mechanically switch the HDMI switch to that the TV recognizes that same one signal source but on a different input on the TV. Does that make any sense?

Dave

david0406

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next