Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roku issue with my 809

+6
david0406
flint350
OnkyoUSA
Semp1
tasdisr
d6500k
10 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Roku issue with my 809 - Page 2 Empty Re: Roku issue with my 809

Post  d6500k Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:35 pm

It has now been over one month since my initial request for a fix in regards with the connection issue between my Roku and TX-NR809.

Pardon my impatience, but if I hear nothing I can only assume I have been orphaned. Not Good for me or for Onkyo. I will pursue all options open to me as a consumer starting with a chat with the AG in Oregon http://www.doj.state.or.us/consumer/index.shtml.

And all because the Roku turns my display pink with any video mode selected save for "Direct". This setting defeats the Onkyo's ability to compensate for video errors inherent with the Roku. (Please do not think that all other sources are perfect. They are not, but I can calibrate them with the controls in the ISF section and for that matter the "custom" preset available to all, in the setup option. It is just that the Roku causes the "pink Screen" when embedded DD+ or 5.1DD are present. It (the Roku) is the only device that presents the anomaly.)

The ability to implement the video processor and scaler in the Onkyo and thereby calibrate all source components to output through the 809 to one HDMI input on my display, was/is one of the deciding factors in my choice of AVR's. The Onkyo TX-NR809 supposedly, and in its advertising states and I quote directly from the Onkyo USA website,
Video—whether standard or high definition—gets the royal treatment from a high-quality HQV® Vida™ processor and independent ISF calibration for each source.
leads me to believe that I've a good case and reason to be perturbed.

I will follow up on this in one week from today with the State unless I hear from Onkyo directly. A full transcript of my efforts to communicate civilly and courteously with Onkyo will be attached.

Come on Onkyo! All you've got to do is what you said you were going to do! You said you duplicated the issue in your lab. Does it happen with all your gear? Does it happen with your Integra line or other higher end Onkyo's?

Respectfully Submitted:

Doug Kinne

d6500k

http://www.6500kcalibrations.com

Back to top Go down

Roku issue with my 809 - Page 2 Empty and from the roku site.....

Post  d6500k Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:31 pm

Re: Neflix 5.1DD Problem with color shift.
by flint350 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:56 pm

Interesting thread and I have been struggling with this same pink screen issue. I have an up to date Onkyo 3009 and see this pink screen only with the Roku 2 XS in my chain. So I gather that it remains a handshake issue btwn the Roku and Onkyo, but no one knows which one is at "fault". Given that the Onkyo runs just fine with absolutely everything else I have (Oppo BD, front projector, media server, Darblet, etc), I think it's more a Roku problem. Reading the posts by d6500k, I have to agree with him. I have calibrated my display to isf standards and only the Roku causes this issue. I have tried the plugging/unplugging and am using high quality hdmi 1.4 cables and have switched among them. Even if I get the pink to temporarily go away, it always returns, especially after any switching of the signal. I have tried "through", "direct" and custom. The black crush was made better by using custom adjustments, but the pink screen returned. I have tried various inputs on the Onkyo 3009 and it makes no difference. I'm hopeful that Onkyo can find a fix via firmware as, given what I've read here about Roku's efforts, I don't expect Roku to solve this. Once the screen turns pink, it matters not what channel I try, though I always start with Amazon. I don't do Netflix, but I really don't think it has anything to do with the specific channel or 5.1 vs 2.0 sound. At least not in my case, as I've tried them all. Frustrating to say the least.
flint350

d6500k

Back to top Go down

Post  flint350 Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:03 pm

Well, I tried the audio setting switch and have the exact same result reported by d6500k. When using Through on my Onkyo 3009 and 2.0 sound, I can get a decent image on Amazon (using Iron Man 2 for testing). When I paused the movie and went back to the Roku audio settings and changed to 5.1, returning to the paused image results in the dreaded PINK screen. I switched the Onkyo 3009 to Direct and the pink went away and it maintained the 5.1 sound. So my experience mirrors that of d6500k, as does my opinion of the "support" provided so far on this issue. The image still appears to be a bit contrasty even with expanded HDMI selected, but much better than with "normal" which suffers from the black crush. I'll copy this to the Onkyo forum so you don't have to do all the work Doug. And thanks for the tip on the audio! Doug support is better than the others.

edit: when I speak of expanded HDMI, it's a setting in my front projector for colorspace that expands the gamut to improve the black crush - not an Onkyo setting.

Ray

flint350

Back to top Go down

Post  david0406 Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:29 pm

Ok I am going to add the link to MY Roku2 issue with my Onkyo TX-NR609. Onkyo Support are you going to read this link??????? Doug I am copying this link to add to your issue. One of these devices has an issue. The Onkyo or the Roku2. It seems the engineers from both manufacturers need to start talking to each other to resolve this issue.

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=49088

david0406

Back to top Go down

Post  d6500k Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:38 pm

Thanks Dave!

As I have said many times now, I really do not care about "who's at fault". The fault is that both of the players (Roku and Onkyo) seem to not be communicating with each other! So instead of folks just being displeased with one or the other product, we are peeved with both manufacturers! It is just getting silly that with the capability of engineering and technical teams Roku and Onkyo must have at their disposal, both are choosing to ignore a growing group of buyers that can, and probably will, remove themselves from future purchases from either or both companies.

and dang it all.... I like both products except when they are connected together!

Doug k

d6500k

Back to top Go down

Post  david0406 Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:20 pm

Onkyo Support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug,
I also addressed this issue in the avs forum. I started it on page 98 post # 2924 of the onkyo tx-nr609 , 509, 309 owners thread. I think it's in the amps, processors and receivers forum.I tried many different solutions many times thinking I had it corrected only to have each solution fail. If you follow thread to around page 102 or 103 I think you will find most of my posts regarding this.

Dave

david0406

Back to top Go down

Roku issue with my 809 - Page 2 Empty My post over on AVS

Post  d6500k Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:07 pm

I've been a member of AVS since '02. For me it is just too big and things tend to get lost, at least for me. I have taken this issue there as by sheer numbers, AVS dwarfs this and the Roku site combined. Perhaps some data that will help us here may be dredged from there!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1341271/official-onkyo-tx-nr809-thread/4530#post_22387365

Doug k

d6500k

Back to top Go down

Post  david0406 Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:58 pm

Hey Onkyo!
Is your team still on this??????

david0406

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:36 pm

We apologize that you are experiencing issues with the ROKU 2. We are currently working to resolve the issue. In the mean time, the following will temporarily resolve the issue until we find a more permanent resolution. When using your ROKU 2 on Dolby Digital 5.1, please disable the video processor on the receiver. You can disable the video processor by holding down the VCR/DVR button and the RETURN button directly on front panel of the receiver while still holding VCR/DVR, hit RETURN again. Your receiver will then say Video Processor: Skip.

We will continue to keep you updated as we research this issue further.

We appreciate your patience.

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  d6500k Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:15 pm

I've seen this answer before. Please define the difference between following your protocol versus using "Direct" as a video option while viewing the input where I've the Roku connected.

My main question is this... Will "Skipping" the processor only affect the Roku input or will it disable the processor altogether?

Thanks for a quick response!

Doug k

d6500k

Back to top Go down

Post  david0406 Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:00 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:We apologize that you are experiencing issues with the ROKU 2. We are currently working to resolve the issue. In the mean time, the following will temporarily resolve the issue until we find a more permanent resolution. When using your ROKU 2 on Dolby Digital 5.1, please disable the video processor on the receiver. You can disable the video processor by holding down the VCR/DVR button and the RETURN button directly on front panel of the receiver while still holding VCR/DVR, hit RETURN again. Your receiver will then say Video Processor: Skip.

Forum Moderator

Sounds like A PITA with consequences to the other inputs. How about a fix that's not temporary. I guess patience is not a virtue of mine since this has been a issue for me since April and longer for other Onkyo owners Rolling Eyes

david0406

Back to top Go down

Post  d6500k Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:08 pm

I'm on the PM side of this now with the Mod to discern whether it would be better just to use "direct" on the Roku input rather than a more radical and global solution of virtually defeating what is otherwise a very good processing engine. I've no reason to believe that the issue is close to being solved, but I do know there must be the tech knowhow in the room, just time will tell.

We'll see...

Doug k

d6500k

Back to top Go down

Post  david0406 Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:17 pm

Keep us in the loop cheers

david0406

Back to top Go down

Post  flint350 Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:21 pm

I concur about the use of "direct" just for the Roku vs the global solution of bypassing the video processor. In fact, in my case, while I have left the Roku connected, I have dragged out my old PS3 and am using it for Amazon Online video instead of the Roku. Doing that, I can still use "through" and have my video (and audio) how I want it.

flint350

Back to top Go down

Post  d6500k Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:20 pm

How is it going fellas?

Doug k

d6500k

Back to top Go down

Post  flint350 Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:15 pm

As luck would have it, just today I decided to drag out my 2 yr old Pioneer vsx-1122 AVR and see if the Roku worked with that. It did! Both Amazon and Vudu were good quality images while they both remain very dark, pink or substandard based on settings in the Onkyo 3009. It's apparently a problem between these 2 specific brands (Roku and Onkyo) as both work fine independently of each other. I can stream my Oppo BP-93 thru the Onkyo and I can stream the Roku thru the Pioneer, so it's a compatibility issues but unknown which device is causing the problem. Very frustrating as I don't want to have to have a 2nd AVR in the mix just to use the Roku and I don't want to give up the features of the Onkyo and not use the Roku. They should be able to play together, but I am not very hopeful that either Roku or Onkyo will ever really address this. I'm personally leaning toward the Onkyo being more the problem given that the Roku works with the Pioneer just fine.

flint350

Back to top Go down

Post  d6500k Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:30 pm

I too think the video processor in the Onkyo, if i remember correctly the Marvel qvdo or some such, is the culprit as I have stated earlier.

The real issue flint is your point that Onkyo is being very sluggish with any definitative response.

I'm still in the return window and I even have the box neatly packed away. If it is not fixed soon, I'm back in the market for a nice avr with good juice and less issues.

Doug k

d6500k

Back to top Go down

Post  flint350 Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:32 pm

Unfortunately for me, I'm not in a return situation, but if I were, I would likely do the same as you. I may still explore selling it honestly (w/o hiding the Roku issue) and going for Denon or other 11 channel capable AVR. This has been a disappointing experience.

Ray

flint350

Back to top Go down

Post  david0406 Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:28 pm

Just can't trash my 609 because of a 79 dollar box. It is the only issue I have with mine and outside of that I love my 609. Will sooner or later buy a new avr that has multi eq but until then I will keep this and hope onkyo addresses this issue but I'm not gonna hold my breath. Guess I would just try a different streamer as I did before I generally say trash the Onkyo.

david0406

Back to top Go down

Roku issue with my 809 - Page 2 Empty Roku 2 Black Level Issues

Post  vandregraff Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:47 am

OnkyoUSA wrote:We apologize that you are experiencing issues with the ROKU 2. We are currently working to resolve the issue. In the mean time, the following will temporarily resolve the issue until we find a more permanent resolution. When using your ROKU 2 on Dolby Digital 5.1, please disable the video processor on the receiver. You can disable the video processor by holding down the VCR/DVR button and the RETURN button directly on front panel of the receiver while still holding VCR/DVR, hit RETURN again. Your receiver will then say Video Processor: Skip.

Forum Moderator

I am seeing similar issues

As I recently posted on the Roku forums

So here is a little more detail.

Per my first post 'I have my ROKU 2 XS connected to an Onkyo RC-360 and then Panasonic 55VT30. The Onkyo RC-360 is set on Direct.

It seems that engaging 5.1 audio in Netflix does indeed change the black levels reaching my VT30.

I am using AVS 709 to loaded on a flash drive and played through the Roku to check black levels.

If I cause the Roku and Onkyo to initiate a fresh handshake on HDMI by toggling through the picture modes on the Onkyo and then going back to Direct it seems the VT30 is receiving 15 -235 levels from the Roku. I can play stereo content and everything is good. Then I play 5.1 audio Netflix content and now the VT30 is getting 0 - 255 levels. It doesn't matter what I play after this point it is always 0 - 255 levels.

This only happens with the Roku as the source - my guess is that it is some combination of the RGB levels and 5.1 HDMI handshake between the Roku and the Onkyo. Have you tried it in the lab yet - try playing netflix 5.1 titles with the Onkyo on Direct.

vandregraff

Back to top Go down

Post  vandregraff Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:11 am

Forum Moderator

I tried this but no difference. As I am using Direct mode I didn't expect any difference (the video processor better not be doing anything in Direct mode).

Something else is going on here.

I would post to my comments in the Roku forums - but I don't have enough privileges to post links yet....

vandregraff

Back to top Go down

Post  d6500k Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:41 pm

So Onkyo, are we orphaned here with the latest state of the art reciever?

PM's ..... No answer
Phone calls...... No response
Emails...... Nada

Crap.

You are making it very hard for me to recommend your products except to those that really should be looking at HTIB units.

Too bad as you used to have products I was proud to sell.

Doug k

www.6500kcalibrations.com

d6500k

Back to top Go down

Post  d6500k Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:22 pm

BTW, I will not go quietly into the night, disappearing as you might wish.

Once back home from an extended business excursion, I will be contacting the AG in Oregon with a complete transcript.

You have until OCT 25 2012. If there is no response, and I must admit I expect none, in democratic terms, I will use all available consumer protection devices available to have this situation mitigated.

Doug k

d6500k

Back to top Go down

Roku issue with my 809 - Page 2 Empty Roku 2 Black Level Issues

Post  vandregraff Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:19 am

I would really appreciate an update on this.

An earlier post from OnkyoUSA the forum moderator says 'We apologize that you are experiencing issues with the ROKU 2. We are currently working to resolve the issue.'

I tried the suggested fix.

OnkyoUSA - any update on your work to resolve the issue?

vandregraff

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:49 pm

We apologize for the tardiness of our response reagrding this issue; but after extensive researching- we have discovered this is an issue with Roku and not soley our receivers. If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next