Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX NR616 HDMI Audio Pass Through Not Working

+10
svghio
bmentor
lastyear4gt
tgoodie
tkx1138
megabyzus
Guindalf
Cebs
OnkyoUSA
sranger3
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

TX NR616 HDMI Audio Pass Through Not Working Empty TX NR616 HDMI Audio Pass Through Not Working

Post  sranger3 Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:49 am

Hi guys I have two units, both with the same problem, both ordered from Amazon. Neither one would pass the audio from my Samsung Cable box or Xbox 360 to my TV when the units were in standby. Tried using other outputs and selecting them in the Hardware section but nothing worked. It does work however when the receiver is on. I can here sound from the TV speakers. Anybody else experiencing this?

Steve

sranger3

Back to top Go down

TX NR616 HDMI Audio Pass Through Not Working Empty Re: TX NR616 HDMI Audio Pass Through Not Working

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:57 am

Hi sranger3,

How are you connecting these devices?
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

TX NR616 HDMI Audio Pass Through Not Working Empty Re: TX NR616 HDMI Audio Pass Through Not Working

Post  sranger3 Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:08 pm

Through HDMI.

sranger3

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:36 pm

Hi sranger3,

Are you following what's on page 65 and 66 in the manual?
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sranger3 Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:09 pm

Yes HDMI Control is Off.
HDMI Through is on.
Cable Sat is selected
Audio TV is off.
ARC is off. TV not capable.
And lastly powered off and on. Still no sound in standby mode.

sranger3

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi sranger3,

Audio TV out must be set to on.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sranger3 Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:00 pm

When you set audio tv out to on, sound comes out of the tv speakers when the receiver is on. When you put the receiver into standby, there is no sound to the tv speakers.

Per the manual

■ Audio TV Out
`Off
`On
This preference determines whether the incoming audio
signal is output from the HDMI output. You may want to
turn this preference on if your TV is connected to the
HDMI output and you want to listen to the audio from a
connected component through your TV’s speakers.
Normally, this should be set to “Off”

Note
• If “On” is selected and the audio can be output from the TV, the
AV receiver will output no sound through its speakers. In this
case, “TV Speaker” appears on the AV receiver’s display by
pressing DISPLAY.
• When “HDMI Control(RIHD)” is set to “On”, this setting is
fixed to “Auto”.
• With some TVs and input signals, no sound may be output even
when this setting is set to “On”.
• When “Audio TV Out” or “HDMI Control(RIHD)” is set to
“On” and you’re listening through your TV’s speakers
(➔ page 16), turning up the AV receiver’s volume control will
make the sound be output from the AV receiver’s front left and
right speakers. To stop the AV receiver’s speakers producing
sound, change the settings, change your TV’s settings, or turn
down the AV receiver’s volume.
• Listening mode cannot be changed when this setting is set to
“On” and the input source is not HDMI.

sranger3

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:16 pm

Hi forum users,

We have discovered that the following receivers may have a firmware problem causing intermittent operational issues.
TX-NR414, HT-R758(HT-S6500)
TX-NR515, HT-RC460, HT-R791(HT-S7500), TX-NR616, HT-RC470
TX-NR717
TX-NR818
To resolve these potential issues please update your firmware to the latest version. This firmware version corrects the unexpected instances where a portion of the internal memory may stop working.
If your receiver is connected to your home network you will see the firmware update information on your TV monitor today (6/5/2012).
You may also download the firmware update from the Onkyo website via USB and update your receiver. The update via USB will be available on our website by the end of the week.
Caution
With this firmware update your receiver will be reset to factory settings. Please make a note of your settings and passwords before proceeding with this update process.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sranger3 Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:25 am

The update gave me a "Complete" message after about 10 minutes. I switched it off manually and was able to switch it on with the remote. However, I got the upgrade message again and this time, it took close to an hour to download and complete.

The update did not resolve my issue. When you set audio tv out to on, sound comes out of the tv speakers when the receiver is on. When you put the receiver into standby, there is no sound to the tv speakers on either setting with hdmi pass thru on. .

sranger3

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:24 am

Hi forum users,

We have pulled the recent 2012 firmware update to make further revisions to it based on customer feedback. We expect to re-release it very soon. We apologize for the inconvenience.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

TX NR616 HDMI Audio Pass Through Not Working Empty Same issue with my TX-NR616 after the firmware update

Post  Cebs Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:26 pm

Dear Onkyo,
I was silently following this post, since the problem on my receiver TX-NR616 is very similar. I was waiting for the firmware update to say here if working or not.
Unfortunately after firmware upgrade it is still not working.
I have a Satellite receiver (SAT) connected to my TX-NR616 throw HDMI 2, this is the HDMI pass thru I wonder use.
SAT is connected to Onkyo throw an HDMI Monster U3 V600 4ft high speed cable.
Onkyo is connected to TV by a HDMI Monster U3 V1000 8ft high speed cable. My TV has no ARC and those cables are HDMI 1.3 compliant
When I turn on the SAT receiver and the TV, with the receiver in stand by mode, it works for a moment, then sometimes the TV shows “poor signal”on green ( I don’t know who is sending this msg to TV, if Onkyo or the SAT receiver, but it never happened when the SAT was directly connected to TV), sometimes it stays working (pass thru) other times it loses the signal showing on TV a typical grey screen when there is no TV signal detection. If I change the SAT channel it looses the signal and the grey screen appears again, if I don´t change the channel sometimes It keeps working. If the grey screens appear it never get back working again, so I have to turn on the receiver to reestablish working condition and I can turn off to use pass thru function. That’s pretty annoying.
It seems that when the receiver detects loss of signal from HDMI input it turns it off. But since it has signal, probably onkyo should recalibrate the input detection to not detect it wrongly.
I´ve read all the HDMI concerns Onkyo published, and I´m sure those cables are all compliant with that.
Hope you guys release another firmware to solve this issue.
Best Regards,

Cebs

Back to top Go down

Post  sranger3 Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:15 am

I have firmware version 1080 6106 0200 and its not taking an up date from the net. I still have the same problem.

sranger3

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:40 pm

Hi sranger3,

Have you tried the update via the USB yet to see if that works?
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sranger3 Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:12 pm

I will try via usb tonite.

sranger3

Back to top Go down

Post  Guindalf Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:20 pm

sranger3 wrote:I will try via usb tonite.

Good luck with that!

I'll save you the wait - it won't work.

Guindalf

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi Guindalf,

Have you tried this and it did not resolve and or work for you?
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guindalf Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:40 pm

Do you not read this board?

No, it didn't work. I tried the network as well as with a flash drive (both with the zip file and even with it unzipped. The unit does not even recognize that there is an update, let alone perform the upgrade.

I have spent way more time than I should trying to resolve this issue. I tried to stay with you because I like the receiver, but enough is enough. You don't even bother to respond to problems with useful solutions!

The unit is being returned as soon as I can get there and I will buy a different brand. I will also make sure that no-one I know takes the risk of the kind of service/experience I have had.

Guindalf

Back to top Go down

Post  sranger3 Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:40 pm

Same thing for me.

The unit does not even recognize that there is an update, let alone perform the upgrade. This via the net and with usb stick zip file and unzipped. Nothing else is on the stick.

sranger3

Back to top Go down

Post  sranger3 Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:43 pm

Tried another usb stick. Still no update.

sranger3

Back to top Go down

Post  sranger3 Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:46 pm

Guess we should just wait another day for a response?

sranger3

Back to top Go down

Post  sranger3 Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:18 pm

The latest firmware did not resolve the issue.

sranger3

Back to top Go down

Post  sranger3 Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:58 pm

Firmware Version 1110-8106-0300 did not resolve this issue. Still no sound to the TV with the receiver in standby. Are we getting any closer to a resolution?

sranger3

Back to top Go down

Post  megabyzus Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:37 pm

sranger, can you try (en/dis)abling CEC on your HDTV? Also, when you switch on the avr can you confirm the source is what it should be and not switched to TV/CD because of some errant (or intentional--I simply don't know) CEC interaction (please forgive me if this is obvious). Your HDTV should have an HDMI-CEC setting somewhere. I've found when I fool around with mine audio comes and goes but I haven't established a pattern. Currently I have my 616 with RIHD off and HDMI-passthrough on (correct port), Audio TV on, and CEC on HDTV enabled, and Network Standby OFF. I am getting video and audio pass through with avr on stand by.

megabyzus

Back to top Go down

Post  tkx1138 Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Hey guys,

I wanted to chime in real quick as I too have been dealing with the same of no video output to TV from any of my devices, blu-ray player, xbox and directv hd dvr box. Purchased the tx-nr616 on June 29th, experienced no video after off/standby for extended period of time and then on July 1st learned of the 6-24-2012 firmware update that supposedly resolved. Turned off RIHD, I downloaded and applied the update via USB, not network and after about 45 minutes got the completed message and firmware is now 1110-8106-0300. After the update, still got no video until I turned Network Standby to Off and appeared to work for a couple of days and then about three days after the firmware update, I turn everything on after no usage overnight and again no video output via HDMI from any device until I unplug/replug the receiver power. Also, I would like to mention that after the firmware update, whether from the Onkyo remote or my Logitech Harmony 700 remote, the receiver powers back up on it's own immediately after shutdown and I have to power off the receiver a second time to finally turn off. This now happens every time I turn off the receiver. This did not happen prior to the 6-24-2012 firmware update.

I LOVE the audio that this receiver puts out, but these issues have got to get resolved.

tkx1138

Back to top Go down

Post  tgoodie Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:49 pm

This is my first post after just purchasing an Onkyo unit.

I am absolutely stunned that there has been no response by Onkyo support staff since June 12th!!! That is almost a full month of nothing.

It seems as if I will be returning my unit as soon as I attempt to set it up. I will not stand for lack of customer support. The sales people are all over us to buy, and then after we buy, we get little or no support as this thread has aptly demonstrated...

I wish it were not so.

Onkyo support, you need to step up to the plate. Hope I do not have to explain what that meant...

tgoodie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next