Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

analog audio signal and RI

2 posters

Go down

analog audio signal and RI Empty analog audio signal and RI

Post  clark2012 Tue May 22, 2012 10:31 pm

My DX-C390 compact disc player is connected to a HT-R390 AV receiver with an optical digital audio cable as well as the RI (Remote Interactive.) The RI also requires the use of an analog audio cable between the units.

My question: when playing a CD, the receiver input Info shows Analog. Shouldn't I be getting a Digital signal from the CD player with the optical digital audio cable?

thank you

clark2012

Back to top Go down

analog audio signal and RI Empty Re: analog audio signal and RI

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed May 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Hi clark2012,

As long as the HT-R390 is set to optical you should be getting a digital signal coming through.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

analog audio signal and RI Empty analog and digital cables

Post  clark2012 Thu May 24, 2012 3:13 pm

It appears that the analog cable, required for the RI, is functional and takes precedence over the digital optical cable. How should I be making the connections between CD player and amp? I also have a TV connected to the home theater.

thank you

clark2012

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu May 24, 2012 3:16 pm

Hi clark2012,

If using the RI cable there is no other way to configure the unit.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

analog audio signal and RI Empty analog blues

Post  clark2012 Thu May 24, 2012 4:17 pm

Just to confirm: if the RI is used with analog cables, there is no way to utilize the digital audio cable? If I disconnect the RI and analog cables, what do I need to do to make the digital cable functional?

The DX-C390 manual, p. 13, states "To use RI you must make an analog audio connection (RCA/phono) between the DX-C390 and your other Onkyo equipment even if they are connected digitally." It does not say that the RI will not allow the digital cable to function.

thank you

clark2012

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu May 24, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi clark2012,

The only way to test it is to try it without the RI cable. Give that a try and let me know if this works.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

analog audio signal and RI Empty connections

Post  clark2012 Tue May 29, 2012 8:21 am

The amplifier and my TV (Sony, not RI compatible) are connected by HDMI: TV-HDMI out; amp-HDMI in. The TV digital optical audio-out is connected to the amp digital optical audio-in, position #2 marked TV/CD. At the same time the CD player digital optical audio output is connected to the amp's digital audio input, position #1 marked Game. The signal from the CD player is analog, indicating it is coming from the RI RCA cables.

Since there is only one TV/CD digital audio input on the amp, how do I get the amp to accept the CD player's digital output?

thank you

clark2012

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue May 29, 2012 3:01 pm

Hi clark2012,

TV/CD is an either or connection, in other words it's either going to be "TV" or "CD" but not both.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

analog audio signal and RI Empty Game Option

Post  clark2012 Tue May 29, 2012 3:40 pm

If the TV is off, and the CD player is connected to the Game input, will the digital signal be picked up if the amp input selector is set to Game?

Why is an optical digital audio connection required from the TV to the amp if both are already connected via HDMI? I believe the HDMI allows the TV audio to be outputed through the amp into the home theater system speakers-this works fine.

What happens if the TV HDMI-out is connected to one of the unused HDMI inputs on the amp? I am only using one for the DVD player and this works fine.

thank you

clark2012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down