Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR509 - Major distortion on front left channel/speaker failure.

3 posters

Go down

TX-NR509 - Major distortion on front left channel/speaker failure. Empty TX-NR509 - Major distortion on front left channel/speaker failure.

Post  Akalies Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi,

I purchased a refurbished TX-NR509 directly from Onkyo back in December. It's been a fantastic unit until last week when I started to hear distorted audio from the front left channel, after further investigation it seems as the speaker is completely blown. The rest are fine (5.1 setup). Upon switching out the speaker I started to hear distortion with any speaker I connected to the NR509 in that position, and decided to replace the cables only to find the same issue present. I've reset the receiver (vcr + standby), tried a few different sources (htpc, ps3, wii), and still have the issue. The only conclusion I can come up with is that the left channel is failing on some level, and sending damaging signals to the speaker.

A run down on my trouble shooting:

Tried different speakers
Reset unit to factory defaults
Examined/replaced speaker cables (16 gauge running less than ten feet, everything was/is neatly wired)
Gently Cleaned unit with vaccuum
Examined unit through vents to see if anything obvious was causing a short.

At this point I'm concerned with blowing another speaker, and have stopped troubleshooting. I feel like my best bet is repair under warranty at this point, but I figured I'd ask just in case I missed something.

Akalies

Back to top Go down

TX-NR509 - Major distortion on front left channel/speaker failure. Empty Re: TX-NR509 - Major distortion on front left channel/speaker failure.

Post  transmaster Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:22 am

This apparently happened to me I was running in stereo mode I suddenly experienced severe distortion from the right channel before the receiver shut down it destroyed voice coil of the woofer on that side. Restarting it told me to check the speaker cables, did so nothing wrong called Crutchfield and they agreed the NR709 need to be replaced the replacement is on it way from Crutchfield. I am going to add fuses to my other speakers it is going to cost $100 dollars to repair the damage.

transmaster

Back to top Go down

TX-NR509 - Major distortion on front left channel/speaker failure. Empty Re: TX-NR509 - Major distortion on front left channel/speaker failure.

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:42 pm

Hi Akalies,

If the reset has not resolved the issue and you've done the necessary trouble shooting then the next step would be to take it to one of our authorized service centers that can be found on our main page "www.onkyousa.com" under support.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down