Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NR-509 Audio Return

3 posters

Go down

NR-509 Audio Return Empty NR-509 Audio Return

Post  simontan Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:16 pm

Audio Return is in Auto. Sharp AQUUOS connected to HDMI out, have tried 2 (new) HDMI cables. Blu-ray connected to HDMI IN #1

I connected the TV to the 509, and the 509 to the speakers. Turned on the TV, sound out of the speakers through the 509. Beautiful. Then I connected the Blu-ray, and put it into its cabinet, and it stopped working. Here are the symptoms:

When playing Blu-ray (BR/DVD), sound comes through the stereo as expected. When I go to TV, if the 509 is turned off, sound comes from the TV as expected. When I turn the 509 on, I get the message on the TV that the speakers have been disabled (as expected), but no sound comes from the stereo. 509's volume responds to TV remote, etc - just no sound out.

I did a factory reset on the TV just to make sure there was no funny setting I'd put in there, but no change. The TV obviously knows it's supposed to be using the 509 (since it disables the internal speakers), but I can't get any noise out. Not sure if the TV's not sending, or the 509's not doing its thing, but I suspect the latter (as it used to work, and I did the factory reset on the TV).

Any ideas?

simontan

Back to top Go down

NR-509 Audio Return Empty Re: NR-509 Audio Return

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi simontan,

Have you tried to do a factory reset on the receiver instead of the TV? To do the reset you need to turn the receiver on, then on the front panel of the receiver press and hold the "VCR/DVR" button while doing that press the "STANDBY/ON" button. You will see the word "Clear" in the display screen and the receiver will go into standby mode. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR AUDIO & VIDEO ASSIGNMENTS ON THE RECEIVER PLUS YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR SPEAKER CONFIGURATIONS, SPEAKER DISTANCE AND ALL LEVEL CALIBRATION SETTINGS. YOU WILL ALSO LOSE ANY PROGRAMMED RADIO STATIONS IN MEMORY. Once the receiver goes into standby mode turn it back on and go thru the setup menu for all custom settings.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

NR-509 Audio Return Empty OK, tried that... no dice...

Post  simontan Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:16 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'd done nothing to configure it, so no harm. I did the reset, and saw the "CLEAR" in the display. Then I went back and set the "HDMI Setup" -> "HDMI Ctrl" to On, and "HDMI Setup" -> "Audio Return" to Auto.

Same thing:
- TV works fine if 509 is off.

- A CD in the Blu-ray plays just fine through the speakers when BR/TV is selected. When I do that, the TV auto-switches to the Onkyo's HDMI line, and I can see the Onkyo's screen on the TV

- If I then switch the TV's input back to TV,
1) The TV's speaker stops (with a message about it being disabled)
2) the Onkyo responds by saying:
TV/CD
All Ch Stereo :<volume level>

The volume on the Onkyo responds to either the Onkyo or the TV's remote, at that point.

(I've also seen it say)
Audio Return Ch: <volume level>
after awhile, but it's not doing that now.

So, still no sound from the Audio Return.

I've already returned one of these units because it wouldn't pass video from the Blu-Ray on HDMI IN #1 to the TV on HDMI OUT. That works just fine on this one, but now this problem. Is it really a(nother) bad unit? I've tried changing (all-new) cables, and resetting both TV and 509, now, but can't get the TV through the stereo.

Any other ideas?

simontan

Back to top Go down

Post  td854 Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:04 pm

Are you sure your television supports Audio Return Channel? If it doesn't the receiver will turn off the TV speakers but of course it won't pass audio back to the receiver cause it can't. I know that my TV does not have the audio return feature but the receiver still tells the TV to turn off its speaker.

td854

Back to top Go down

Post  simontan Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:24 pm

The Sharp Aquos TV does support ARC. From the manual:

Audio Return Channel
This function allows you to listen to the TV audio via audio equipment without using an optical fiber cable, which conventionally is required.
Requirements for using an ARC-compatible AV amplifier: • ARC-compatible AV amplifier connected to the ARC-
compatible HDMI terminal (HDMI 1). (Refer to the operation manual of the ARC-compatible equipment for details.)
• Use of an ARC-compatible cable. Auto: You can listen to the TV audio with ARC-
compatible audio equipment. Off: This function does not work.
NOTE
• If the TV audio cannot be output from the AV amplifier even after making the necessary settings, connect the TV to the AV amplifier with an optical fiber cable and select “Off”.

I've set the TV's controls as the manual indicates are required for ARC. It worked for awhile.
I did find one review that says this:
I couldn’t get the HDMI Audio Return Channel feature to work with the Onkyo HT-S5300 HTIB. It could be due to the receiver and not the TV, though the TV manual says this feature only works with other Sharp Aquoslink equipment.

But my manual doesn't say that - it says the above, which is just that the receiver needs to be ARC-compatible, which the 509 says it is. That being said, I'm confused by the NOTE in the TV manual - "If the TV audio cannot be output from the AV amplifier even after making the necessary settings..." What's THAT supposed to mean?

Could I need a special cable, other than just a new HDMI cable? Here's the product description for the cable I'm using:

Product Description
HDMI is a data superhighway for digital video and audio. For the best high definition experience, use an HDMI cable that delivers all the picture and sound data your HD components require. . This cable is optimized for the next generation performance of HDTVs and game consoles that will require 1080p resolution with Deep Color technology. . Advanced High Speed HDMI cable with a bandwidth at a maximum of 10.2 Gbps. Specially designed for home theater enthusiasts who also want the best in HD viewing and/or gaming. . Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HDTM Lossles surround sound provices Greater cable bandwidth for support of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD lossless surround sound, available on Blu-ray DiscTM and HD DVDTM movies.

It doesn't actually say ARC compatible, but...

simontan

Back to top Go down

NR-509 Audio Return Empty SOLVED

Post  simontan Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:27 am

Figured it out.

• ARC-compatible AV amplifier connected to the ARC-compatible HDMI terminal (HDMI 1)

The Onkyo was actually connected to the TV's HDMI #2, not #1. From above, only HDMI 1 supports ARC. Swapped plugs, and works again.

Case closed. Thanks for the help.

simontan

Back to top Go down

Post  td854 Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:36 am

Glad I could kinda sorta help indirectly Razz

td854

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down