Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Still haven't unboxed my TX-NR616, Should I return it?

4 posters

Go down

Still haven't unboxed my TX-NR616, Should I return it? Empty Still haven't unboxed my TX-NR616, Should I return it?

Post  megabyzus Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:11 pm

I bought my NR616 a month ago and it still remains unboxed (waiting for other things). A few questions:

- Are the problems with HDMI pass-through universal to all 616s? (ugly work around plug/unplug cord)
- Is the inability to switch OFF via remote universal to all 616's? (seems to be a work around by enabling Network Standby which in turn might create collateral issues with viewing picture on monitor )
- Have the latest firmware updates affected any of the above for ANYONE in ANY WAY?

Reading the forum I gather there are some exceptions to the above so not sure what I should expect from my own NR616.

Considered thoughts greatly appreciated in advance.

Thanks!

Last edited by mamdali on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:31 pm; edited 3 times in total

megabyzus

Back to top Go down

Still haven't unboxed my TX-NR616, Should I return it? Empty Re: Still haven't unboxed my TX-NR616, Should I return it?

Post  jaypugh Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:13 pm

I haven't returned mine yet as I'm hoping in a few days they will have a fix. I mean come on... we are talking about something as basic and important as getting a signal out over the HDMI connector. Surely they will fix something this fatal, right? Suspect

jaypugh

Back to top Go down

Still haven't unboxed my TX-NR616, Should I return it? Empty Re: Still haven't unboxed my TX-NR616, Should I return it?

Post  megabyzus Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:16 pm

jaypugh wrote:I haven't returned mine yet as I'm hoping in a few days they will have a fix. I mean come on... we are talking about something as basic and important as getting a signal out over the HDMI connector. Surely they will fix something this fatal, right? Suspect

Perhaps, but it doesn't address my three explicit questions. Plus, both issues have been ongoing for at least a few months.

Thanks!

megabyzus

Back to top Go down

Post  jaypugh Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:43 pm

mamdali wrote:I bought my NR616 a month ago and it still remains unboxed (waiting for other things). A few questions:

- Are the problems with HDMI pass-through universal to all 616s? (ugly work around plug/unplug cord)
- Is the inability to switch OFF via remote universal to all 616's? (seems to be a work around by enabling Network Standby which in turn might create collateral issues with viewing picture on monitor )
- Have the latest firmware updates affected any of the above for ANYONE in ANY WAY?

Reading the forum I gather there are some exceptions to the above so not sure what I should expect from my own NR616.

Considered thoughts greatly appreciated in advance.

Thanks!

1. HDMI pass-through -- From what I've seen, it is most. I'm wondering if those not seeing the issue don't have the network standby on since maybe they don't use an android or iPod app to control their unit. Mine worked fine as far as the HDMI until I turned on this feature.
2. I have not had a problem switching the unit off on my 616 with the remote a single time since I've had the unit (roughly 1 week).
3. I immediately updated my firmware. Maybe I would have had the remote problem if I had not?? Not sure on this one. The only problem I have at this point is the HDMI pass-through. If I felt 100% that they would fix it, even if it was 2 months from now, I would consider keeping it. Like others, I simply don't want to get stuck with a unit that Onkyo either won't fix or make me go out of my way to have it fixed.

I'm looking around and considering the Denon receivers. I saw an article on the Sony STR-DN1030 that will come out in July which looks promising. I'm not a huge fan of Sony but the receiver looks even more packed with features than the Onkyo considering it will have built in WiFi and Bluetooth. Decisions decisions. I would be happiest if the 616 just worked right...

jaypugh

Back to top Go down

Post  likeahoss Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:13 pm

I can't speak for NR616 because I own a NR515. However, they are basically the same units, mine is just lacking some extra "[probably broken] feature".

If you're okay with spending a bunch of your money on a half-ass product, open it up and use it.

If you're like me and want to use a product as intended and advertised without issues. Ship it back. These Onkyo Network receivers are pure junk.

likeahoss

Back to top Go down

Post  Guindalf Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:53 pm

There has never been a problem switching OFF the unit with the remote. The issue is switching it back on again! It is relieved by using Network Standby, but that increases the HDMI out error.

If I were you, I'd return it. I had mine for three weeks before deciding that enough is enough. I replaced it with the new Yamaha RX-V673, which cost me over $200 more and, to be honest, it doesn't have some of the features that drew me to the 616, but it turns on EVERY time and it give a picture EVERY time!

The choice is yours, but I'd hurry as you probably only have 30 days from date of purchase, regardless of whether it's unboxed or not.

Guindalf

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down