Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR609 loses picture but still has sound

3 posters

Go down

TX-NR609 loses picture but still has sound Empty TX-NR609 loses picture but still has sound

Post  bobgski Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:04 am

I doubt if this is new, but there are just too many posts to find the proper thread. I have had my Onkyo TX-NR609 for about 13 months now and for the most part, it works great. I have had on occasion a problem where the video would blank out intermittently (screen says no signal) but the audio plays as if nothing was wrong. The cure in the past was to turn everything off and then turn everything back on. This always worked so I never was greatly concerned. Yesterday, we returned home from our volunteer job and the video simply wouldn't go on. Audio again was fine. The unit worked fine before we left. Tried playing a DVD with HDMI input - same result. Tried a old DVD player that is hooked in via analog, and the same result. Sound but no picture. Screen says no signal. I tried unplugging the HDMI out cable and re-plugging it in - still the same result. To make sure it wasn't my TV, I ran a computer into the HDMI4 input. Everything works fine. I am at a loss, but I have read about HDMI board problems. Could this be my problem? Or could a HDMI cable go bad after more than a year's use? If the cable is shot, why am I getting audio? I have already taken the receiver to a repair shop, but they haven't called me with a diagnosis yet. I should mention that we had a very brief power outage while we were away from home, but I should also say that I have not one but two surge protectors protecting my equipment. The repair shop said that a surge could have traveled through the Time Warner cable, but I talked to TW and they said that their cables can't carry a surge because they are grounded. Who to believe? I hope Onkyo support has a suggestion. This is my first post. Will I know via email that a reply has been posted to this request?

bobgski

Back to top Go down

TX-NR609 loses picture but still has sound Empty Re: TX-NR609 loses picture but still has sound

Post  jpecca Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:36 pm

I have a similar problem even after the HDMI board was replaced. It can be a problem with the board but I think it is the firmware. The unit is not recognizing the HDMI handshake.

jpecca

Back to top Go down

TX-NR609 loses picture but still has sound Empty Re: TX-NR609 loses picture but still has sound

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:00 pm

In regards to your issue- it would possibly be more effective to contact our Product Support Dept., (800-229-1687) for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation below. We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue, with you having access to your unit, as prompt as possible. Please view our website for hours of operation for the Product Support department to further assist you and work to resolve this issue.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bobgski Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:05 am

Thank you for your offer to help, but we are away from home until tuesday and I will have to retrieve the receiver from the repair shop and set it back up again. I will not be able to call support until Wednesday. I am assuming you must think it is a firmware problem because otherwise I don't see the value of trying to repair over the phone. But I'm game so I will do as you suggest.

bobgski

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down