Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR3009 popping sound

2 posters

Go down

TX-NR3009 popping sound Empty TX-NR3009 popping sound

Post  stablecable Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:45 am

Hi
I recently purchased the TX-NR3009. I've owned Onkyo receivers for years and have never had any issues with any of them. Since purchasing this receiver I've noticed that there is a popping sound coming from the speakers when switching between television channels. I guess it happens when going from a Dolbly Digital source to a non DD source on DirecTV. This also happens during commercials. There is also a mechanical switching sound from the receiver which is annoying but I can live with that. The thing that concerns me is the popping sound from the speakers. I can only describe it as a poof sound. The sound is very loud and as I type this from my hallway I can hear the sound from my living room as commercials come on the tv. I did some research on the internet and I think this has been discussed before as an issue on some earlier model receivers. As I spent $2200 on this thing I'm wondering if this is something that I should try to get used to or should I try to send it back to Amazon for an exchange. Their website says I only have until March 5th to send it back so I'm hoping that I can get a quick response to this. It seems to me that this switching between DD and non DD should be a quiet, non-noticable event but it isn't. My last receiver was the TX-SR805 and I never had any popping issues with that receiver.
Thanks!

stablecable

Back to top Go down

TX-NR3009 popping sound Empty Re: TX-NR3009 popping sound

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:12 pm

Hi stablecable,

I have three questions. One is have you run the Audyssey speaker update yet? And two do you have the latest firmware on the unit? And finally does this happen only on your cable input or are you getting this on all sources connected?
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  stablecable Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:15 pm

I did install the latest firmware when I bought the unit on February 1st.
I'm not sure what you mean by the Audessey update.
I did run the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 setup.
The popping sound seems to happen most when I'm watching the Satellite.
When I play a DVD through my PS3 I do hear the sound when the PS3 powers down. Almost like a loud poof, poof, poof, then off.
The unit seems to work fine when I'm watching a DVD or satellite as long as it doesn't switch modes or go from a DD signal to a non DD signal.
When I'm watching a channel in HD with a DD signal and a commercial comes on that isn't in DD I hear a mechanical clicking sound as if the unit
is trying to change modes and then I hear the popping sound from the speakers.
I went into the setup and changed the output to always be on PLIIx Movie so that it wouldn't try to switch modes, but it didn't help.
The unit still drops the signal when commercials come on or when I change channels and I hear the loud popping sound from the speakers.

stablecable

Back to top Go down

Post  stablecable Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:02 am

I added in some front wide speakers tonight.
I reran the Audyssey MultEQ setup and reconfigured the speaker configuration.
I changed the listening mode presets for my satellite from Dolby PLIIx movie to Audyssey DSX Movie for DD and the analog to All Channel Stereo.
Now it seems that the unit is no longer switching and popping when commercials come on.
When I switch to a non DD channel it switches to All Channel Stereo and there is a slight noise when it changes but it's much better than before.
I guess I'm happy with it now.
Hopefully when more people purchase this unit I can get some feedback as to how they have theirs setup to see if I'm doing this right.
Thanks for your help.

stablecable

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:25 pm

Hi stablecable,

Glad to hear that you got it resolved. Thank you for choosing Onkyo.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down