Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Intermittent sound output problem with TX-NR1007

4 posters

Go down

Intermittent sound output problem with TX-NR1007 Empty Intermittent sound output problem with TX-NR1007

Post  drapeaur Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:48 am

I have a TX-NR1007 receiver. Every once in a while I'll turn the receiver on and the is no sound output. A/V signal is being sent from HDMI2 (from my DirectTV receiver), and the video appears on the TV screen but no output. If I change to a different source (like my dvd player, or Xbox) there is still video but no sound. So the problem is persistent upon all input sources.

What I've come to find as a solution is to manually unplug the power cable from the back, wait a few seconds, then plug it back in. Upon doing so I hear clicking sounds (this must be the relays in the unit resetting) and when I turn on the receiver I get sound.

Well, this all worked fine until lately the problem has become more frequent, and merely unplugging the power and plugging it back in does not appear to work. So, yesterday I performed a firmware update, thinking perhaps this is a known issue, per the notes on the 06/16/2010 update. At the end of the update it indicated "OK: xxxxxxxxxx" (I cannot remember the number that appeared). But from the 7-6 Firmware Update screen the Version appears as: 1291-2403-0510-9116. As of this time, I know the firmware is up to date because if I tried again this morning to do a firmware update it indicates "No Update".

The receiver was off overnight and again this morning there was no sound. Unplugging the power, and plugging it back in is no longer a solution because I can do this for approx. 30 minutes and all of a sudden the sound will reappear.

Any assistance you can provide is appreciated.

Reg

drapeaur

Back to top Go down

Intermittent sound output problem with TX-NR1007 Empty Re: Intermittent sound output problem with TX-NR1007

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:43 am

Hi drapeaur,
Have you tried using new or other HDMI cables to make sure the issue is not with the current cables you have? Also, if you can please try using a different audio source such as analog or digital to make sure the issue is not with the HDMI board in the receiver. Thank you!
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Intermittent sound output problem with TX-NR1007 Empty Re: Intermittent sound output problem with TX-NR1007

Post  drapeaur Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:07 pm

I can try that later today, but I did call support yesterday and they had me do a reset on the receiver and that worked. Once I did that I had sound again.

However, when we turned on the receiver this morning after it was off overnight, there is still no sound and doing a reset several times ( press the VCR/DVR button at the same time as the On/Standby button) did not fix the problem. So right now there I can't get any sound. They told me yesterday if the problem persisted to call them back to get the unit to a service center. I purchased the system back on 1/22/2010 so I am close to being out of warranty.

I doubt that it is an HDMI cable issue, because if it were a bad cable I would have sound produce by one of the other input sources. For example, the HDMI cable from the DirectTV may be bad and cause the sound issue, but the HDMI cable from the XBOX to the receiver should produce sound. As a matter of fact, if I go to the net and access Pandora there is no sound produced. Also when I do a speaker test (where the speakers fire one at a time) there is no sound produced. So it clearly is an issue with all input sources and the unit itself.

What are you're suggestions at this point? Do you want me to go through further diagnosis or schedule to get the system serviced?

Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited by drapeaur on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

drapeaur

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi drapeaur ,
Since a member of our team asked you to perform a reset and that did not work the unit needs to go in for repair. You can either call product support back and have them find a service center for you or you can find one yourself using our blog post: http://onkyousacustomersupportblog.wordpress.com/2011/09/13/locating-an-authorized-service-center-or-dealer/
If you send it in now it is still under warranty. Thank you!
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  drapeaur Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:19 pm

Thank you. Do you know how long it typically takes for one of these receivers to get serviced?

drapeaur

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Hi drapeaur,
You're welcome! It really depends on the nature of the issue as well as where the service center is located.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  drapeaur Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:44 pm

Well, I just called the local Best Buy and the Bose Factory store, which are listed as Dealers/Service Centers and since I didn't purchase it from either of them they indicated their policy is to only service equipment purchased from them.

Your recommendations please?

Thank you.

drapeaur

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:00 pm

Hi drapeaur,
If you send me a private message with your zip code I can locate the proper service center for you. Thank you!
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  drapeaur Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:07 pm

That's ok. Area code is 34286

drapeaur

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:11 pm

The service Center information:
United Radio
5703 Enterprise Parkway
East Syracuse, NY 13057
1-800-634-8606 (Tel)
Distance: 1167.6 miles
Thank you!
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  drapeaur Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:17 pm

Thanks again.

drapeaur

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:18 pm

You're very welcome!
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  drapeaur Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:01 pm

I just contacted United Radio. They indicated that they don't issue any RMA #'s. They basically told me to just ship the unit to them with my contact information and sales receipt.

I need a good box to ship this in since the TX-NR1007 receiver is quite heavy. United Radio would not help me with this. Is there anything you can do?

Thanks.

drapeaur

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi drapeaur,
Please call Product Support and if your unit is still in warranty we should be able to help you out: 1-800-229-1687
Thanks!
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveW Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:25 pm

It was interesting to find this here. I have had a problem with my 1007 for about a year since I bought it just about two years ago.

As I skip through a show on my media center PC, you hear relay clicking every time the sound comes back. After awhile, could be days in between, could be hours, the clicking stops when you skip through a show, and the receiver produces no more sound, on any input. I learned to clear the problem by pulling the power in the receiver... It happened infrequently enough that I opted to put up with it, as Onkyo phone support told me the nearest repair center to Halifax is in Montreal - 1000km away.

Last week I developed a new problem where I get no sound, and none of the speaker icons are are lit on the LCD display. I managed to clear that one by leaving it unplugged for a couple of minutes. When I plugged it back in, all of the icons lit up and I had sound again.

Now it's happened again, and I can't clear it by unplugging it. I also noticed that in the OSD, Network Settings and Firmware update are greyed out... I can no longer go in and assign an IP address or attempt a network firmware upgrade.

I guess my receiver is slowly falling apart... Regrettably, my first Onkyo ownership experience has not been what I had been hoping...

If someone could tell me what the nearest repair center to Halifax is as of today, I would appreciate it.

SteveW

Back to top Go down

Intermittent sound output problem with TX-NR1007 Empty Update on the problem with my receiver

Post  drapeaur Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:32 pm

Steve,

I ended shipping my receiver to the repair center in N.Y. (about 1500 miles away). After posting to this forum, I did some further research on the internet. There appears to be a known issue with this model - the HDMI boards go out after a while, and you get the exact I had.

Luckily my receiver had 1 month left to the warrantee, and they did fix it. It took about 3-4 weeks between the time I shipped it and when I got it back. It is working very well now though, so I am pleased.

I'd highly recommend if it is still under warrantee to get it fixed ASAP.

Reg

drapeaur

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveW Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:08 am

drapeaur wrote:Steve,

I ended shipping my receiver to the repair center in N.Y. (about 1500 miles away). After posting to this forum, I did some further research on the internet. There appears to be a known issue with this model - the HDMI boards go out after a while, and you get the exact I had.

Luckily my receiver had 1 month left to the warrantee, and they did fix it. It took about 3-4 weeks between the time I shipped it and when I got it back. It is working very well now though, so I am pleased.

I'd highly recommend if it is still under warrantee to get it fixed ASAP.

Reg

Thanks for that Reg. Was over at the AVS Forums and see much talk of it over there about this issue by many people, as well as the audio dropout problem I have as well is mentioned there when dealing with lossless HD audio tracks. They have a copy there of the Onkyo notice that talks about the issue and discusses replacing two resistors on the HDMI board I believe it is by authorized service centers.

Unfortunately, I have one of the first 1007s to come out, so I believe my warranty is long since gone if it`s one year. Will have to check my receipt....

SteveW

Back to top Go down

Intermittent sound output problem with TX-NR1007 Empty Warrantee on the 1007's

Post  drapeaur Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:56 pm

Steve,

The warrantee on my 1007 was for two years. I just made it by a month. Your's should be the same.

Reg

drapeaur

Back to top Go down

Intermittent sound output problem with TX-NR1007 Empty Same problem with my TX-NR5007

Post  Wilson6 Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:24 pm

Steve,
did you find out anything about replacing the resistors on the board? I have the exact same problem with my TX-NR5007 receiver and now I am out of warranty. I would be interested in anything that you find out about repairing it.

thx

Wilson6

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:26 pm

Hi Onkyo Forum Users,
We are sorry that you are experiencing this issue with your unit, please contact our parts and service department about obtaining a repair on your unit: (201) 785-2600, option 4. They are here until 5:00pm today.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down