Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Onkyo TX-NR709 & Sony BDP-BX 18 BluRay Player No video

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Onkyo TX-NR709 & Sony BDP-BX 18 BluRay Player No video Empty Onkyo TX-NR709 & Sony BDP-BX 18 BluRay Player No video

Post  laudou Mon May 07, 2012 12:30 pm

I am trying to use a Sony BDP-BX 18 BluRay Player with my brand new Onkyo TX-NR709 receiver but I am getting only audio and no video from the player when connected to any HDMI input of the AV Receiver. Of course, I first tried using the BD/DVD input of my receiver but when I realized that I was getting no video I tried several different inputs with the same result. However when I connect the player directly to the HDMI input of my Samsung TV I get perfect audio and video. Am I missing a special setup or is my Sony player incompatible with my Onkyo receiver?

Thanks for your suggestions

laudou

Back to top Go down

Onkyo TX-NR709 & Sony BDP-BX 18 BluRay Player No video Empty Re: Onkyo TX-NR709 & Sony BDP-BX 18 BluRay Player No video

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon May 07, 2012 4:05 pm

Hi laudou,

Do you know what the highest resolution your TV can take? Do you have all the firmware updates on the TV, AVR and the blue ray up to date? How long is the HDMI cable from the back of the unit to the TV? Are you going through any sort of Balun or 3rd party device?
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Onkyo TX-NR709 & Sony BDP-BX 18 BluRay Player No video Empty Re: Onkyo TX-NR709 & Sony BDP-BX 18 BluRay Player No video

Post  laudou Mon May 07, 2012 4:43 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:Hi laudou,

Do you know what the highest resolution your TV can take? Do you have all the firmware updates on the TV, AVR and the blue ray up to date? How long is the HDMI cable from the back of the unit to the TV? Are you going through any sort of Balun or 3rd party device?

Hi
The maximum resolution of my TV is 1980x1080.There is no firmware update available on the manufacturer's web site. I updated the software of the AVR and the Blu Ray player. The HMI cable is 6 Feet long. I am using no 3rd party device. In case this info might help, I am using this system to watch fiber optics tv at 108o DPI.

Thanks

laudou

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon May 07, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi laudou,

Thank you for this information. Have you tried a reset of the receiver yet? To do the reset you need to turn the receiver on, then on the front panel of the receiver press and hold the "VCR/DVR" button while doing that press the "STANDBY/ON" button. You will see the word "Clear" in the display screen and the receiver will go into standby mode. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR AUDIO & VIDEO ASSIGNMENTS ON THE RECEIVER PLUS YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR SPEAKER CONFIGURATIONS, SPEAKER DISTANCE AND ALL LEVEL CALIBRATION SETTINGS. YOU WILL ALSO LOSE ANY PROGRAMMED RADIO STATIONS IN MEMORY. Once the receiver goes into standby mode turn it back on and go thru the setup menu for all custom settings.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  laudou Mon May 07, 2012 5:37 pm

Thank you for this information. Have you tried a reset of the receiver yet? To do the reset you need to turn the receiver on, then on the front panel of the receiver press and hold the "VCR/DVR" button while doing that press the "STANDBY/ON" button. You will see the word "Clear" in the display screen and the receiver will go into standby mode. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR AUDIO & VIDEO ASSIGNMENTS ON THE RECEIVER PLUS YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR SPEAKER CONFIGURATIONS, SPEAKER DISTANCE AND ALL LEVEL CALIBRATION SETTINGS. YOU WILL ALSO LOSE ANY PROGRAMMED RADIO STATIONS IN MEMORY. Once the receiver goes into standby mode turn it back on and go thru the setup menu for all custom settings.

Hi

No, I have not tried resetting the receiver. Do you recommend doing it?

Thanks

laudou

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon May 07, 2012 5:40 pm

Hi laudou,

That is the last thing to do as there are no more settings that I can direct you to. Let me know if this works.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  laudou Mon May 07, 2012 5:58 pm

That is the last thing to do as there are no more settings that I can direct you to. Let me know if this works.

Hi
I did the reset and I did see the 'Clear" on the display of the receiver. I turned it back on and I did not lose the speaker settings as I still have sound. But still no video from the Blu Ray Player. In fact, when I turn on the player I do see a kind of Sony Logo "Blu Ray Disc" for a few seconds and then it disappears, just like before the reset.

What is your suggestion? Is it possible that my AVR will not be able to accept connections from any Blu-Ray player or just Sony ones?

Thanks
Laurier

laudou

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue May 08, 2012 3:03 pm

Hi Laurier,

Do other devices display through the receiver via HDMI? Are you able to see the OSD from the receiver on the TV?
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  laudou Tue May 08, 2012 4:30 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:Hi Laurier,

Do other devices display through the receiver via HDMI? Are you able to see the OSD from the receiver on the TV?

Yes, other devices display correctly via HDMI: one Apple TV, 2 FTA satellite receivers and one optic fiber TV receiver. Yes, I can see the OSD from the receiver on my TV.

laudou

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue May 08, 2012 4:37 pm

Hi laudou,

If everything else is working going through the receiver then it could be some sort of EDID or HDCP issues. Have you contacted Sony to find out on their end if anything could be done?
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  laudou Tue May 08, 2012 4:43 pm

If everything else is working going through the receiver then it could be some sort of EDID or HDCP issues. Have you contacted Sony to find out on their end if anything could be done?

I did contact Sony first and they told me that the BluRay player OSD is fine since it works when connected directly to the TV.

laudou

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue May 08, 2012 5:20 pm

OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  laudou Tue May 08, 2012 5:29 pm

What part of that page do you think is of interest to me?

laudou

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue May 08, 2012 5:37 pm

Hi laudou,

On the right side of the page where it says "download". I ask because you mentioned in an earlier post that there was no firmware on the website for Sony.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  laudou Tue May 08, 2012 5:43 pm

I mentioned that there was no firmware upgrade for my Samsung TV. As for the Sony player, I updated the firmare via the network connection. Of course, it was then connected directly to the tv sine no OSD from that player goes through the HDMI ports of my Onkyo AVR.

laudou

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu May 10, 2012 6:17 pm

Hi laudou,

Since you are the first one with this issue I will have to send this to our Engineering department to see if they've heard of this before. Thank you for your patience.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  laudou Thu May 10, 2012 6:21 pm

Thanks for your support. I have returned the Sony player to the store. I have ordered a LG player that also has component outputs that I might use if ever HDMI does not work. But I can assure you that I will keep you informed.

Thanks again.

laudou

Back to top Go down

Post  laudou Thu May 10, 2012 6:50 pm

laudou wrote:Thanks for your support. I have returned the Sony player to the store. I have ordered a LG player that also has component outputs that I might use if ever HDMI does not work. But I can assure you that I will keep you informed.

Thanks again.

I forgot to mention a detail that might not have any importance. When I select BD/DVD and I press on "setup" there is no OSD. Is it normal?
The OSD is present on all the other devices.

laudou

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon May 14, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi laudou,

I apologize for the delay, but no this has no barring on what you are experiencing.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  laudou Sat May 19, 2012 7:07 pm

I apologize for the delay, but no this has no barring on what you are experiencing.

Here is a copy and paste of an email exchange I had with LG. I bought another Blu-Ray player and I encountered the same problem as with the Sony. There certainly is something I don't understand about the settings.

Hello Laurier Doucet.

Based on the information provided, the issue is with your AV receiver and not the Blu-Ray player. I would recommend contacting Onkyo customer service for assistance.

Regards
Dave H.
LG Customer Service
LG Canada

This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or non-public material. Any review, re-transmission, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender, delete the email from your system, and destroy any printouts or copies.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Received Date : 05/18/2012 21:48 56
The type of inquiry : Product Operation
Product/Model No. : Telematics/Navigation/other

I just bought a LG-BD620C Blu-Ray player which I tested with my regular DVD discs (not Blu-Ray). I realized that I can get audio and video when I connect my player directly on my TV using HDMI connection. However I get no video when I connect it to my Onkyo AV receiver with the same HDMI cable. Is it normal?
I tried connecting it to my AVR using the component outputs of the player and the coaxial digital output and I can get audio and video.
Is my BD-620C limited to component connection when used with an AVR or is there a setting that I missed? Will it work only with Blu-Ray discs?
Thanks

laudou

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon May 21, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi laudou,

Have you tried a reset of the receiver yet? To do the reset you need to turn the receiver on, then on the front panel of the receiver press and hold the "VCR/DVR" button while doing that press the "STANDBY/ON" button. You will see the word "Clear" in the display screen and the receiver will go into standby mode. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR AUDIO & VIDEO ASSIGNMENTS ON THE RECEIVER PLUS YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR SPEAKER CONFIGURATIONS, SPEAKER DISTANCE AND ALL LEVEL CALIBRATION SETTINGS. YOU WILL ALSO LOSE ANY PROGRAMMED RADIO STATIONS IN MEMORY. Once the receiver goes into standby mode turn it back on and go thru the setup menu for all custom settings. If this does not resolve the issue then I would suggest letting a service center evaluate the receiver for you. Authorized service centers can be found on our main page under support.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  laudou Mon May 21, 2012 5:36 pm

Have you tried a reset of the receiver yet? To do the reset you need to turn the receiver on, then on the front panel of the receiver press and hold the "VCR/DVR" button while doing that press the "STANDBY/ON" button. You will see the word "Clear" in the display screen and the receiver will go into standby mode. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR AUDIO & VIDEO ASSIGNMENTS ON THE RECEIVER PLUS YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR SPEAKER CONFIGURATIONS, SPEAKER DISTANCE AND ALL LEVEL CALIBRATION SETTINGS. YOU WILL ALSO LOSE ANY PROGRAMMED RADIO STATIONS IN MEMORY. Once the receiver goes into standby mode turn it back on and go thru the setup menu for all custom settings. If this does not resolve the issue then I would suggest letting a service center evaluate the receiver for you. Authorized service centers can be found on our main page under support.

Yes, I have tried resetting the receiver but nothing changed. I will try it again. I must say that I am not too happy with your suggestion to take my new receiver to a service center. As I said it is brand new. I bought it to replace a 708 that is already at a service center. I did not want to be left without a receiver. I am beginning to wonder why I made the decision to stick with Onkyo products.

I'll keep you informed after performing a second receiver reset.

laudou

laudou

Back to top Go down

Onkyo TX-NR709 & Sony BDP-BX 18 BluRay Player No video Empty Soluce

Post  mohican787 Mon May 21, 2012 6:22 pm

laudou wrote:

Yes, I have tried resetting the receiver but nothing changed. I will try it again. I must say that I am not too happy with your suggestion to take my new receiver to a service center. As I said it is brand new. I bought it to replace a 708 that is already at a service center. I did not want to be left without a receiver. I am beginning to wonder why I made the decision to stick with Onkyo products.

I'll keep you informed after performing a second receiver reset.

laudou

Hi Laudou
i from france and i had the same problme like you .since i changed my tv last week . my blu-ray didn't work , just only sound but no video .
so my soluce is ....
Download new firmware and a reset the receiver ...
i did it today , and all is Ok .( PS3, BoxTv, Blu Ray in HDMI Receiver and Xbox360 Yuv "YCrCb" ).

mohican787

mohican787

Back to top Go down

Post  laudou Mon May 21, 2012 7:24 pm

mohican787 wrote:Hi Laudou
i from france and i had the same problme like you .since i changed my tv last week . my blu-ray didn't work , just only sound but no video .
so my soluce is ....
Download new firmware and a reset the receiver ...
i did it today , and all is Ok .( PS3, BoxTv, Blu Ray in HDMI Receiver and Xbox360 Yuv "YCrCb" ).

Merci de m'apporter votre support moral! I have already downloaded the latest firmware and done a receiver reset. I'll try a second reset and hope for the best.

Thanks

laudou

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue May 22, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi laudou,

If you've already done a reset of the receiver then there is no need to do another one. At this point I would let a service center take a look at it.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next