Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR609 & DNS Connection Error?

3 posters

Go down

TX-NR609 & DNS Connection Error? Empty TX-NR609 & DNS Connection Error?

Post  Dvdbones Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:33 am

I've had the TX-NR609 for the last 3 months now and I attempted to update the firmware last week and couldn't due to a DNS connection error that just popped up out of the blue. I never had this problem until now. Everything is default out of the box and I haven't changed any setting in DHCP at all. It says ENABLED, not Manual. When I initially hooked the NR609 up to my network after booting it up for the first time when I got it and was able to immediately download a firmware upgrade that it needed at the time. Everything was seen on the network just fine and it did its thing without a hitch.

In looking at the DHCP settings now, it does list my IP Address and Subnet Mask like normal but the Default Gateway and DNS server have nothing but zeros. I'm sure it was like this when I got it initially too, but I don't remember since I just went for the update when I first booted it up and it just worked. I have my receiver connected hard line, not wireless, along with 3 other devices to a small Linksys switch under my entertainment center. All the lights are active for the devices that are on so I know the receiver is being seen. That switch is connected, hard line as well, through my wall into my office to my Linksys wireless router (Model#WRT54GS). All my other devices work perfectly fine, except my TX-NR609. I decided to try the UWF-1 Wireless LAN Adapter to see if I could get it to go that way. The good thing is I was able to connect to my router wirelessly, the bad thing is the signal quality is low and my internet radio buffers every 20 seconds or so. I really want to run my receiver hard line and I should be able to. I'm not too thrilled with the UWF-1's performance though I am glad I was able to connect. I did check to see if my firmware was current and it was since I performed the USB procedure a couple of days ago.

I called my cable company (Charter Communications) to see if I could possibly get the Default Gateway and the DNS Server info thinking I could input those settings and be good to go but, alas, that was a no-go. Crying or Very sad With everything enabled to default I shouldn't be having this much trouble all of a sudden. Any ideas? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Dvdbones
Dvdbones

Back to top Go down

TX-NR609 & DNS Connection Error? Empty Re: TX-NR609 & DNS Connection Error?

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:34 pm

Hi Dvdbones,

The switch you are running this too is it managed or unmanaged? Also have you tried a reset on the receiver? To do the reset you need to turn the receiver on, then on the front panel of the receiver press and hold the "VCR/DVR" button while doing that press the "STANDBY/ON" button. You will see the word "Clear" in the display screen and the receiver will go into standby mode. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR AUDIO & VIDEO ASSIGNMENTS ON THE RECEIVER PLUS YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR SPEAKER CONFIGURATIONS, SPEAKER DISTANCE AND ALL LEVEL CALIBRATION SETTINGS. YOU WILL ALSO LOSE ANY PROGRAMMED RADIO STATIONS IN MEMORY. Once the receiver goes into standby mode turn it back on and go thru the setup menu for all custom settings.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dvdbones Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:58 pm

Yes, I've tried doing the reset that you described thinking it would refresh the network stuff, but it's still the same. I then redid all my settings back to how I had them afterwards one the firmware update was done. The Linksys switch my XBOX360 and PS3 is plugged into along with the receiver is unmanaged, as far as I know. I just plugged all my stuff in and it just worked. I didn't do anything special. I could try power cycling it, I suppose. It's just strange that everything else works fine except the network connection to the receiver.
Dvdbones
Dvdbones

Back to top Go down

Post  coxie2 Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:44 am

hey bones I had the same problem about a month ago. Here is what I was told to try from the guys at Crutchfield. In the network setup, ENABLE network control, select save at bottom of screen. This keeps the port on back active at all times. After this, exit out of everything. You might want to go back into the network and check that the Net control is enable, but it should be. Turn the 609 off. There should be a small "NET" lit up on the display of the 609. This indicates that the net port is active. Next unplug both your 609 and your router. connect your cat 5 cable from the 609 to your router. Reconnect power to both 609 and router. Allow your router to completely reboot and come up. You might want to check one of your other devices to ensure connection to net through router. Once your router is up and running, turn on power to the 609. Next you might want to use your computer to look at the connected devices. The 609 will hopefully be there. You might also get a message that Windows Media Player has detected new device. Next you might want to check the network settings on the 609. The values you mentioned that were all 0's should now have value. Now try and connect to your net services through the 609. Hopefully this works. I have since went with a less expensive wireless adapter that has not presented any problems. Something you will notice is the "NET" light on the display will always stay on.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

coxie2

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:02 pm

Hi coxie2,

Just curious of what type of alternative adapter have you used to resolve your issue? You may PM me with the details. Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dvdbones Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:56 am

Coxie2 - So sorry for the late reply! Finally getting some time to myself after a crazy work schedule the last couple of weeks. Your suggestion worked for me (thank you!) Since the advice you suggested, I had everything finally working but ultimately decided to update the older networking hardware that I initially had my 609 hooked up to. I picked up a Linksys EA4500 Dual-Band N900 Router with Gigabit and USB along with a companion SE2800 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch. I set my receiver back to default and hooked everything up without changing a thing and guess what happened? It worked instantly! Everything is rocking along beautifully now. Cool I wouldn't have been able to get anything going had it not been for your initially suggestion. Thank you so much for getting me past that point of frustration! Can't believe I waited this long to move my data down a fatter pipe! Rolling Eyes
Dvdbones
Dvdbones

Back to top Go down

Post  coxie2 Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:07 pm

Hey Bones That is good to hear. Sounds like your new network equipment is working well for you ! I know how ticked off one gets when you get a new piece of equipment, with all the bells and whistles, and disappointment arises when THINGS just do not work. If you are like me, probably a few choice words are heard while working the problems out. Luckily, their are pros and novices out here to assist. Glad I could help. Now go and enjoy your new toy.

coxie2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down