Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR509 hiss at higher volumes.

3 posters

Go down

TX-NR509 hiss at higher volumes. Empty TX-NR509 hiss at higher volumes.

Post  berka Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:10 pm

I'm experiencing audible hiss coming from all speakers starting at about master volume 40. The hiss only comes with analog inputs and to a lesser degree iPod/USB. Digital inputs seem fine.
I don't use any analog inputs, but the receiver reverts to them whenever HDMI audio stops. (Like BluRay player when stopped and my HTPC when there is no video playing.) The hiss is pretty annoying even at my listening location. I've tried shorting analog inputs with a pair of shorted RCA connectors I made, but that didn't have any effect.

Is there a way to prevent this receiver from ever switching to analog inputs so I don't have to hear the hiss?

If there is no way, I would request this as a firmware enhancement. The requested enhancement would basically be an option to search for HDMI (or S/PDIF) input continuously instead of ever reverting to analog. Per-input configuration would be preferred.

Thanks.
Berk

berka

Back to top Go down

TX-NR509 hiss at higher volumes. Empty Re: TX-NR509 hiss at higher volumes.

Post  02Lightning Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:21 pm

berka wrote:I don't use any analog inputs, but the receiver reverts to them whenever HDMI audio stops. (Like BluRay player when stopped and my HTPC when there is no video playing.) The hiss is pretty annoying even at my listening location. I've tried shorting analog inputs with a pair of shorted RCA connectors I made, but that didn't have any effect.
I’m not sure I understand, if you are not using analog inputs how can you shorten them? And how do you know the receiver is reverting back to analog when your media stops?

02Lightning

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:42 pm

Hi berka,

We apologize that your receiver isn’t working correctly. The symptoms you have described resemble a posting on our website. Please follow this link for more information.

http://www.onkyousa.com/press_releases.cfm?id=253

If your serial number qualifies, you will be sent a box and prepaid label to send your receiver in for service. If your serial number does not qualify for service, please contact our Product Support Department at 1-800-229-1687 option #3 for further assistance.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  berka Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:17 pm

02Lightning wrote:
I’m not sure I understand, if you are not using analog inputs how can you shorten them? And how do you know the receiver is reverting back to analog when your media stops?
I didn't "shorten;" I "shorted" the analog inputs. I made RCA connectors where signal and ground contacts were soldered together.
I can tell which input the receiver is using by looking at the text near the master volume indicator. It says "HDMI" when there is HDMI audio. It blinks for a while; then it says "Analog" after the media stops.

berka

Back to top Go down

Post  berka Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:22 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:The symptoms you have described resemble a posting on our website. Please follow this link for more information.
http://www.onkyousa.com/press_releases.cfm?id=253

I had already found that press release. It doesn't cover my receiver's model number. Also, the hiss is not at low volume; it is at higher volume. It is audible easily at master volume 40, and increases as the master volume is increased.

In comparison, my old TX-NR501 had some hiss, but nearly not as much. Some hiss is unavoidable in analog inputs; that's why I'm proposing you have an option to disable the analog inputs by firmware option.

Thanks.

berka

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Hi berka,

I apologize but we can not make the signal stronger.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi berka,

I will bring to our engineering department for further review.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down