Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

no sound from optical output from tv

3 posters

Go down

no sound from optical output from tv Empty no sound from optical output from tv

Post  boysie Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:22 pm

Hello, problem with my nr509, I connected an optical toslink from tv to receiver. No audio from receiver. Maybe you can advise me how to get the audio.Thanks. Smile

boysie

Back to top Go down

no sound from optical output from tv Empty Re: no sound from optical output from tv

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi boysie,
Have you set the input to an input selector in the setup menu? For example if you connected the tv to the optical1 input you mus then go into the receiver and assign the tv/cd to optical1. Thank you!
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

no sound from optical output from tv Empty Optical audio now works

Post  boysie Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:40 pm

Thanks, was able to get audio by using the other optical input at the back. Very Happy

boysie

Back to top Go down

no sound from optical output from tv Empty Re: no sound from optical output from tv

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:56 am

You're welcome boysie, have a good weekend! Thanks for choosing Onkyo Smile
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

no sound from optical output from tv Empty SPDIF from TV to receiver not working?

Post  donbga Tue May 08, 2012 10:48 pm

I've tried the same thing with no luck. I seem to have difficulty inserting the optical connector on both the TV (Visio VO320E) to Onkyo HT-R590. I'm not sure if the cable is properly connected though I can see that the receiver end before connecting is transmitting light (a ruby red glow).

I've visited the OSD for Setup for Audio mapping the TV/CD audio input to Optical2. Still no sound. According to the Visio manual connection of the SPDIF cable insures sound output regardless of the input source (specifically in this case COAX to an OTA).

Quoting the manual:
If your sound system has a SPDIF (optical) digital audio input you can connect it to the OPTICAL
digital audio out (white area) at the rear of the HDTV. This is active when receiving audio with the
programs being viewed no matter what input is being used.

My HDMI sources such as BR/DVD and Cab/Sat (actually a ROKU 2) work find. I did get 2 channel audio to work.

Thanks,

donbga

donbga

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed May 09, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi donbga,

Our units take the standard Optical cables so I'm not sure why they are not going in smoothly for you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  donbga Fri May 18, 2012 10:53 pm

donbga wrote:I've tried the same thing with no luck. I seem to have difficulty inserting the optical connector on both the TV (Visio VO320E) to Onkyo HT-R590. I'm not sure if the cable is properly connected though I can see that the receiver end before connecting is transmitting light (a ruby red glow).

I've visited the OSD for Setup for Audio mapping the TV/CD audio input to Optical2. Still no sound. According to the Visio manual connection of the SPDIF cable insures sound output regardless of the input source (specifically in this case COAX to an OTA).

Quoting the manual:
If your sound system has a SPDIF (optical) digital audio input you can connect it to the OPTICAL
digital audio out (white area) at the rear of the HDTV. This is active when receiving audio with the
programs being viewed no matter what input is being used.

My HDMI sources such as BR/DVD and Cab/Sat (actually a ROKU 2) work find. I did get 2 channel audio to work.

Thanks,

donbga

Problem solved! I had to remove the translucent rubber caps from each end of the TOSLINK optical cable! Duh!

donbga

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon May 21, 2012 2:37 pm

Hi donbga,

It happens. Thank you for choosing Onkyo.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down