Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tx nr609 HDMI Problem

5 posters

Go down

tx nr609 HDMI Problem Empty tx nr609 HDMI Problem

Post  Craig McKnight Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:27 pm

I have been using the tx nr609 for 5 months with no problems. The HDMI connection to the TV will no longer work. I have used the HDMI cable to directly connect to the cable box and it works fine. None of the input sources will pass thru, including Blu Ray, internet, or cable TV. I get sound thru to the speaker system, but no video thru to the TV. I think the HDMI board is fried. Is there a way to check it? The unit is under factory warrantee with an extended warrantee backup, but would like to avoid the mailing process if possible. The service center is 400 miles away.

Craig McKnight

Back to top Go down

tx nr609 HDMI Problem Empty HDMI Input problem

Post  iufan35 Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:54 pm

I have a TX-SR606 with the same problem with the HDMI inputs not working. However, my warranty is out of date.
There are numerous web posts on this subject.
They claim that if one has the procurement documentation; a one time fix is available to Onkyo owners due to the issues reported on this unit with
overheating of the HDMI board.
Please respond.

Respectfully,
Robert Danner

iufan35

Back to top Go down

tx nr609 HDMI Problem Empty HDMI issues

Post  esimmons215 Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:29 pm

I have a SR604 with the identical problem. HDMI from cable box to TV works fine. Is there a fix?

esimmons215

Back to top Go down

tx nr609 HDMI Problem Empty HDMI issues

Post  esimmons215 Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:05 pm

Looking at the posts above mine, this looks like a long term unresolved design issue with Onkyo AV receivers. I bought my TX-SR604 in March 2007 and I am now seeing complaints about the same problem with new models purchased as recently as 5 months ago.

My prior Onkyo AV receiver was an analog unit purchased in early 1998 and it is still producing exceptional sound for my son. My satisfaction with that receiver kept me with Onkyo when I upgraded to a digital unit for home theater surround sound capabilities. I would hate to say that I need to go to another brand but this will be a show stopper for me and other potential buyers. Have you solved the problem?
Eric

esimmons215

Back to top Go down

tx nr609 HDMI Problem Empty Re: tx nr609 HDMI Problem

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:36 am

Hi Forum Guests,
Please begin troubleshooting this issue by running through our HDMI Checklist. If you have tried any of these steps already skip it and move on to the next one. Here is the list: http://onkyousacustomersupportblog.wordpress.com/2011/09/13/the-hdmi-checklist/ Please keep us posted on this so we can continue to assist you. Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RunnerInPeoria Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:36 pm

Craig McKnight wrote:I have been using the tx nr609 for 5 months with no problems. The HDMI connection to the TV will no longer work. I have used the HDMI cable to directly connect to the cable box and it works fine. None of the input sources will pass thru, including Blu Ray, internet, or cable TV. I get sound thru to the speaker system, but no video thru to the TV. I think the HDMI board is fried. Is there a way to check it? The unit is under factory warrantee with an extended warrantee backup, but would like to avoid the mailing process if possible. The service center is 400 miles away.

I think i have the same problem. There are at times when I want to watch TV i have audio, but no video which is strange. My work around to this, and I know this sounds wacky, but I:

manually power off all devices - in my case, TV, HTR, Directv box
plug in the Onkyo mic as if to reconfigure the HTR. I know I now have video when the Onkyo Logo is splashed on my TV.
Again, manually power off all devices.
Using my Harmony remote, press the Watch TV function and everything works.

If an Onkyo Technical Support person is monitoring the forum, I should not have to go through these steps. For the record, I have update the firmware and replaced the HDMI cable (12').

RunnerInPeoria

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:29 pm

Hi RunnerInPeoria,

I apologize for the inconvenience. You should not have to go through all those steps for our product to work as it should be seamless. The one thing that bothers me is that you have to use the Audyssey (Onkyo mic) to get this setup to work; this alone tells me that there is something deeper going on here. I suggest it go to a service center for further evaluation. For your nearest service center please go to our main page and under support you may locate one there.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RunnerInPeoria Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:31 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:Hi RunnerInPeoria,

I apologize for the inconvenience. You should not have to go through all those steps for our product to work as it should be seamless. The one thing that bothers me is that you have to use the Audyssey (Onkyo mic) to get this setup to work; this alone tells me that there is something deeper going on here. I suggest it go to a service center for further evaluation. For your nearest service center please go to our main page and under support you may locate one there.

FYI - this is the second unit I have replaced over the last 5 months. Since I bought this from Amazon, they allowed for an exchange to another unit. However, the same problem is occuring with a new unit.

RunnerInPeoria

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi RunnerInPeoria,

Since we had no other issues with this setup I'm going to ask you to contact our product support department at 1-800-229-1687 option #3 for further trouble shooting on this matter.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RunnerInPeoria Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:12 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:Hi RunnerInPeoria,

Since we had no other issues with this setup I'm going to ask you to contact our product support department at 1-800-229-1687 option #3 for further trouble shooting on this matter.

I am located in Phoenix, AZ which is on PST this time of year. What are the hours of the product support department?

Thank you for your help!

RunnerInPeoria

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:12 pm

Hi RunnerInPeoria,
Product Support is here Monday-Friday 9am-8pm and Saturdays-Sundays 10am-4pm. We are located on the East Coast so that would be eastern time. Thank you for choosing Onkyo.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down