Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how to use HDMI input just for audio

2 posters

Go down

how to use HDMI input just for audio Empty how to use HDMI input just for audio

Post  danieru Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:58 pm

Greetings,

I've connected HDMI from my HTPC to my Onkyo HT-r380 in hopes of just passing sound via HDMI to the receiver. It's important to note that the receiver's 'HDMI out' port is not connected to anything, as my projector only has analog VGA, which I'm running directly from the HTPC.

Unfortunately, I've had no luck with this. The receiver's 'hdmi' indicator lights up, showing that it is talking with the HTPC, but I'm not getting any sound.

Is this possible, or do I have to have an HDMI device on and connected to the HDMI out port on the receiver, in order to get sound via the HDMI input?

I did find a Note on page 14 of the manual:

When listening to an HDMI component through the AV receiver, set the HDMI component so that its video can be seen on the TV
screen (on the TV, select the input of the HDMI component connected to the AV receiver). If the TV power is off or the TV is set to
another input source, this may result in no sound from the AV receiver or the sound may be cut off.

The wording is a little ambiguous, as it says 'may result in no sound from the AV receiver...'.

Is there any configuration on the receiver that I'm missing? Is it flat out not possible?

Any insight or help is appreciated:-)

danieru

Back to top Go down

how to use HDMI input just for audio Empty Re: how to use HDMI input just for audio

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:10 pm

In regards to your issue- it would possibly be more effective to contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation below. We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue, with you having access to your unit, as prompt as possible. We would like to speak with you and provide a thorough answer to your inquiry and assist you with any further questions you may have. Please contact during business hours of Monday- Friday 9am- 8pm EST and Saturdays/ Sundays from 10am- 4pm EST at (800) 229-1687.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down