Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

options to hookup powered subwoofer to nr616

2 posters

Go down

options to hookup powered subwoofer to nr616 Empty options to hookup powered subwoofer to nr616

Post  megabyzus Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:53 pm

Can someone help me with this? My subwoofer comes with a wireless transmitter with L,R, and LFE inputsin the back. What are my options to connect the transmitter to NR616?

Do I connect ONE of the sub pre-outs on the avr to the transmitter's LFE input (as the diagram on page 14 seems to show)?

And/or:

Do I connect BOTH of the AVRs pre out jacks to the transmitter's L,R inputs (the manual on page 14 seems to imply this is an option)?

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

megabyzus

Back to top Go down

options to hookup powered subwoofer to nr616 Empty Re: options to hookup powered subwoofer to nr616

Post  d6500k Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:17 am

If you decide to go the wireless route, use the sub out initially.

Your avr will ask you to set the sub at 75db during the audessey setup and a spl meter really helps there.

The other option is much like using speaker level inputs ( like ruining l/r main wires to the sub and then from the sub to the mains which may actually work but I'd try the sub out option first. If you don't like the result, try option two.

By the way, while I have had some success with wireless subs, placement is still the main concern. Since you will be working with wireless, place the sub in the best seating position. Play some good bass heavy music or a film and move around the room. When you hear the best bass, place the sub there and go to the primary seating position. You might find that you get far better bass response that way than simply setting the sub in a corner or wherever and hoping for the best.

Doug k

d6500k

http://www.6500kcalibrations.com

Back to top Go down

options to hookup powered subwoofer to nr616 Empty Re: options to hookup powered subwoofer to nr616

Post  megabyzus Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:14 am

@d6500k, thanks for your reply. Can you please be more explicit with the actual connections about the two options your specified? It would be helpful if you indicate the exact connections from the back of the nr616 to the transmitter. (I'm not familiar with the terminology you've used).

Greatly appreciated!

megabyzus

Back to top Go down

Post  d6500k Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:27 pm

First try the RCA jack marked sub out and connect that to the wireless transmittervia whatever connection type it requires. Power up the system and you should be good to go!

Doug k

d6500k

Back to top Go down

Post  megabyzus Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:58 pm

@d6500k, thanks. OK, tried that. What the other option I mentioned? Can I connect the two pre-outs to my L,R on the transmitter?

megabyzus

Back to top Go down

Post  megabyzus Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Bump. Onkyo can you respond to this as well?

megabyzus

Back to top Go down

Post  d6500k Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Normally the "Left/Right" connection would to connect to the sub system without a avr that has a subwoofer pre out. You would connect your front L/R speaker wires to the sub from the avr and then from the sub (in your case the rf repeater) to the speakers. Generally this type of connection will incorporate a filter that will shunt all low frequencies (say 80 hz ) and lower to the subwoofer. Since the receiver is capable of bass management and will send the right amount of bass to those speakers in your suite, using the Sub pre out will be your best option. Your RF system, which you do not mention as to type, may indeed have the capacity to run a two sub system ie. left and right subs. I suggest you read your installation nomenclature thoroughly to ascertain which system you own.

By all means although, it is your stuff. Try both. And especially try the sub placement strategy I mentioned above.

Doug k

d6500k

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down