Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ARC failing to detect HDMI connection when TV is turned on.

Go down

ARC failing to detect HDMI connection when TV is turned on. Empty ARC failing to detect HDMI connection when TV is turned on.

Post  ImpalerCore Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:01 am

I have a Samsung UN55D6500 TV connected to a HT-RC370 with the TV's audio directed over the RIHD connection to the receiver. I recently updated my firmware to version 1121-1177-0211-3107, and afterward the receiver would no longer detect the TV audio when the Samsung TV was turned on.

When I turn the TV on, the 'HDMI' text displays on the Onkyo receiver for 3-4 seconds while the TV speakers are putting out audio. Then instead of switching the output to the receiver, the 'HDMI' text on the display changes to 'Analog' and I get no sound through the HT-RC370. I attempted a full reset of the HT-RC370, and after setting the 'HDMI Control(RIHD)' setting to 'On' and exiting the menu, I was able to connect with the Samsung Anynet+ service and get audio through the surround sound system. However, powering the TV off and on again brought me to the same problem of showing 'HDMI' for a few seconds and then showing 'Analog' with no sound.

I unfortunately did the update without the step of turning the RIHD option off before running the network update. I tried a full reset of the HT-RC370, but it did not alter the firmware, so if the installation was done incorrectly, I am at a loss at how to try to reinstall it. I don't know if this could be a cause of the issue I am seeing. I would also like to try if possible to revert to an older firmware to see if I can duplicate the issue.

After some experimentation, I was able to get the ARC connection to work by manually changing the input source on the Samsung TV from 'TV' to 'HDMI1', which is where my PS3 is connected, and then back to 'TV'. When I switched the Samsung input source back to 'TV', the HT-RC370 detected the HDMI connection and retained the 'HDMI' tag on the display without any further issues. Unfortunately, turning the Samsung TV off causes me to do this step every time I want to redirect audio back to the surround sound.

I can live with the slight inconvenience, but would prefer to attempt to solve the problem if there are any avenues to try to troubleshoot and fix this issue. Unfortunately I do not remember my previous firmware version, but I bought and setup my entertainment center in the December 2011/January 2012 timeframe.

If there are any tips that I could try, that would be great.

Thanks,
John D.

ImpalerCore

Back to top Go down