Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has firmware solved the HDMI drop-out issues in the 2012 models?

4 posters

Go down

Has firmware solved the HDMI drop-out issues in the 2012 models? Empty Has firmware solved the HDMI drop-out issues in the 2012 models?

Post  chrisinvan Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:34 am

Just bought a 515. Have since read a LOT of negative feedback that's got me worried. It sounds like it's a great value (good sound and features at a good price) when it works, and a total nightmare when it doesn't.

Has firmware dramatically improved things? I'll seriously consider an exchange if not, but if so I'll make it the centerpiece of my setup.

thanks,

Chris

p.s. sorry if this is a duplicate question - the search function above didn't yield anything for '515'.

chrisinvan

Back to top Go down

Has firmware solved the HDMI drop-out issues in the 2012 models? Empty TX NR 809 HDMI boards failing and electroci assembly is crap

Post  cgconlin Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:29 pm

I have an Onkyo TX NR809 which is 1 year old this month (Nov 2012). The unit has been repaired 2 times now - once by the original seller, JR Music, and once by a local authorized shop, Normans Electronics, in Atlanta GA. In both cases the HDMI board was bad and needed replacement. In both cases I attempted to reach Onkyo "Customer service" and was thoroughly frustrated with your companies lack of support and response.

The same thing has happened again. Three of the 7 HDMI ports are no longer useable. I hesitate to take the unit in for repair as the last time it took 4 weeks to get a replacement HDMI board from Onkyo.

The Onkyo is matched to a 65" Samsung plasma TV (also 1 year old). I have a similar setup in another room with a Yamaha RXA 820 and have never had a problem.

I am seriously considering trashing the Onkyo unit and replacing with Yamaha. Based on what I have read on the numerous Onkyo forums, the quality of your products is seriously compromised.

BTW....I am an executive in North America with Murata Electronics. I understand what quality electronic components and assemly looks like,. This is not the case with Onkyo products today.

What will Onkyo do to make this right?
cgconlin

cgconlin

Back to top Go down

Has firmware solved the HDMI drop-out issues in the 2012 models? Empty Re: Has firmware solved the HDMI drop-out issues in the 2012 models?

Post  Deuce2119 Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:26 pm

chrisinvan wrote:Just bought a 515. Have since read a LOT of negative feedback that's got me worried. It sounds like it's a great value (good sound and features at a good price) when it works, and a total nightmare when it doesn't.

Has firmware dramatically improved things? I'll seriously consider an exchange if not, but if so I'll make it the centerpiece of my setup.

thanks,

Chris

p.s. sorry if this is a duplicate question - the search function above didn't yield anything for '515'.

Chris,

I bought a 515 about 6 weeks ago, AFTER reading every post in the 32 pages of the HDMI issue thread, and researching everything I could find online about the problems. I decided that it seemed that Onkyo had solved the problems for almost everyone, and I wanted this model so I took a chance banking on Amazon's 30 day return policy if things didn't work out.

When I first got it, I updated the firmware via ethernet like it said on the insert page in the box. Then after a few days, I had the HDMI-out problem. Going back to the "updates" page on the product website, I found that the firmware update I did was not the latest version and that the latest version must be installed via USB. I tried going through the instructions provided online and using the YouTube instructional video, but it didn't work. Then I simply called the toll-free number and got a very helpful person on the phone who walked me through the proper update process which turned out to be very simple, although it did take about an hour to get the 400 firmware update. (P.S. I have called the toll-free support number several times and always get friendly, helpful advice from what appears to be Americans so, in my case at least, the customer support has been excellent.)

After that (about 6 weeks now) I have not had one single issue with this receiver. I'm extremely pleased with it and would highly recommend. Obviously, some people are going to have isolated failures, just like any product but you can tell by the lack of activity in the "515 video out" thread that this newest firmware has solved the widespread problems for the vast majority of the thousands of people buying this item.

The ONLY issue I have had (which I believe may be related to the firmware correction) is that every once in a great while (maybe three times total) I've had to wait a minute for the video signal to come through (handshake?)... but it always does. Normally this doesn't happen and it doesn't bother me or make me hesitate to recommend the receiver.

But having said all that, I have no clue how it will perform down the road. We'll see........

Deuce2119

Back to top Go down

Has firmware solved the HDMI drop-out issues in the 2012 models? Empty Re: Has firmware solved the HDMI drop-out issues in the 2012 models?

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:28 pm

The latest firmware update (to be done via USB only) has improved the HDMI NO VIDEO and previous REMOTE CONTROLLER issues; as indicated by the recent positive feedback and reviews from current owners. If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down