Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my Tx-3007 is acting up, is this the dreaded HDMI board issue?

2 posters

Go down

my Tx-3007 is acting up, is this the dreaded HDMI board issue? Empty my Tx-3007 is acting up, is this the dreaded HDMI board issue?

Post  rprice54 Fri May 25, 2012 11:05 am

Last night, I noticed the audio and video being way out of sync first, then I noticed the controls display(volume, etc) were no longer being displayed on the screen. When I clicked the setup button to check everything the screen went blank and wouldn't go back. Thinking it was a minor glitch I turned off the projector and AVR and switched over to my plasma. No problems with audio directly from the sat box connected to the TVR via component. Tuned the AVR back on and it worked fine for about a minute then the screen froze up. Sound kept on playing, but the screen was just sitting there, jerking like it was having seizure. That's when I noticed my external cooling fans weren't on.

I've read about the heat issues for these units cooking the internals, so I use a cooling setup from cooler guys, two 120mm fans directly on the AVR and one at the top of the cabinet to exhaust- preventative measures to keep the unit cool. I guess one of the power leads on the thermostat came loose. I fixed that problem, but I'm afraid it cooked my 3007.

If I let it cool off (overnight) and turn it back on it works perfectly for about a minute but then freezes up again. Once it freezes up I can't do anything with the display, the screen goes blank if I change inputs or resolution, or anything else. A quick power cycle doesn't help, it has to cool off to work. Tried a factory reset, no dice. If I let it sit for an hour, it will work perfectly again for about 1-2 min and then freeze up, then I get sparkly colored artifacts everywhere. Firmware is up to date.

Funny, the HDMI passthrough still works when it's in standby. I'm waiting for a call back from Onkyo but realized it's a holiday weekend, so I may be SOL until next week. It doesn't take much of a google search online to see the HDMI boards in these units have a bad rap for getting cooked, so I'm assuming that may be the issue for me, but maybe not.

rprice54

Back to top Go down

my Tx-3007 is acting up, is this the dreaded HDMI board issue? Empty Re: my Tx-3007 is acting up, is this the dreaded HDMI board issue?

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri May 25, 2012 2:13 pm

Hi rprice54,

From what I know your issue does not sound like a HDMI board issue with the no audio. You don't by any chance have zone-2 on when it is overheating do you?
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

my Tx-3007 is acting up, is this the dreaded HDMI board issue? Empty Re: my Tx-3007 is acting up, is this the dreaded HDMI board issue?

Post  rprice54 Fri May 25, 2012 2:22 pm

No. Nothing else on. It only takes a minute (literally) to freeze up now, so I don't think it has a chance to overheat now- I'm just worried it overheated last night when it didn't have the extra cooling. Maybe that was just coincidence. I don't know.

rprice54

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri May 25, 2012 2:26 pm

Hi rprice54,

You may want to have that checked out by a service center just to be sure it's nothing is wrong internally with your unit. I can not think of anything other than having zone-2 on being the cause of it heating up.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  rprice54 Fri May 25, 2012 3:25 pm

I figured I was headed that way. The nearest service center is an electronics store about 90 miles away. I was just hoping there might be another solution- or least someone who could say- "I had the same problem and the fix was XYZ." I had my call back this morning from customer service and sounds like they want me to send it in to a service center.

I do have to admit I'm a little bummed this thing has only lasted 2.5 years, it was one step down from the 'flagship' and was the most expensive single component of my theater setup.

Here's to hoping I get it back by football season...

rprice54

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri May 25, 2012 3:42 pm

Hi rprice54,

Unfortunately due to it being electronic equipment these things do happen.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  rprice54 Sat May 26, 2012 1:00 pm

do I need to wait to hear back from the parts dept before I send it in or should I go ahead and ship the unit to you guys?

rprice54

Back to top Go down

Post  rprice54 Tue May 29, 2012 9:42 am

In the 'for whatever it's worth' column I did some more testing this weekend. Using component video things work just fine, so I do think it's an HDMI issue. Any hdmi source on any input causes the screen to freeze and flicker. Component sources have no problem...

rprice54

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue May 29, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi rprice54,

Yes you can either wait to here from our parts & service department or you may contact them at 201-785-2600 opt #4 and explain your issue.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  rprice54 Thu May 31, 2012 10:28 pm

I called last week, they said to send an email. The first guy I talked to said if it was the HDMI board they would consider a one time repair. The second guy I talked to had me send the email. I sent that last week. I called yesterday and I was told they couldn't tell me anything else about my case. I guess I'm effectively in limbo.

If I'm gonna be able to drop this off at the local service center, it has to be tomorrow. It's a 90 minute drive and my work schedule means I can't get over there during their operating hours- except I have some time off tomorrow. Can I go ahead and drop it off? Would it be better to ship it to the regional repair facility in NJ?

rprice54

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:21 pm

Hi rprice54,

Unfortunately our parts and service department is handling this issue and if you have already spoken with them on this matter then it would be best to let them contact you and let you know which service center to take your unit too. It is our policy.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down