Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX NR616 HDMI Audio Pass Through Not Working

+10
svghio
bmentor
lastyear4gt
tgoodie
tkx1138
megabyzus
Guindalf
Cebs
OnkyoUSA
sranger3
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

TX NR616 HDMI Audio Pass Through Not Working - Page 2 Empty Re: TX NR616 HDMI Audio Pass Through Not Working

Post  sranger3 Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:02 pm

I have a Vizio SV47XVT. It does not have any HDMI CEC settings at all.

Currently I have my 616 with RIHD off and HDMI-passthrough on (Cable/SAT), Audio TV off, and Network Standby ON. I am getting video only and no audio pass through with avr on stand by. It has been 2 weeks since I had to pull the plug to at least get the video to work.

sranger3

Back to top Go down

TX NR616 HDMI Audio Pass Through Not Working - Page 2 Empty Re: TX NR616 HDMI Audio Pass Through Not Working

Post  megabyzus Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:08 pm

sranger3 wrote:I have a Vizio SV47XVT. It does not have any HDMI CEC settings at all.

Currently I have my 616 with RIHD off and HDMI-passthrough on (Cable/SAT), Audio TV off, and Network Standby ON. I am getting video only and no audio pass through with avr on stand by. It has been 2 weeks since I had to pull the plug to at least get the video to work.

sranger, have you tried Audio TV=ON?

megabyzus

Back to top Go down

Post  sranger3 Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:51 pm

With Audio TV "ON" I get Audio out of both the TV speakers and the Receiver's speakers. When the receiver is in standby, I get no audio out of the TV speakers. That's where the problem lies. That is also how I know it is not my HDMI cable. It is a software issue which hopefully they can resolve. Everything else works great.

sranger3

Back to top Go down

Post  megabyzus Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:06 pm

I'm not sure if you've been following my series of posts but I have the 616 unit working (for now). Assuming you have the same settings as mine and the same software and all things being equal, chances are this is not a software problem but a hardware problem.

Although my unit is working (for now) I find it very curious that Onkyo is obviously very intentionally skirting responding to threads about this issue.

megabyzus

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Hi sranger3,

This may be a hardware limitation on your TV as it works in our lab with several other TV's.

Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sranger3 Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:55 pm

I spoke too soon. When I got home last night and turned the TV on there was no signal coming from the receiver. Power cycled the receiver and was able to watch and listen to the TV through the receivers speakers.

Maybe I have not been clear about this. I have no sound coming from the TV's speakers when the receiver is in standby mode. I can get sound from the TV's speakers when the receiver is on by enabling Audio TV ON. As soon as I turn the receiver off, I lose the sound and not the picture. So I do get sound from my TV's speakers but only when the receiver is on and Audio TV OUT is ON.

So how is this a hardware limitation of my TV?

sranger3

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi sranger3,

Do you have another TV that you can test with, if so does it work on that TV?

Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

TX NR616 HDMI Audio Pass Through Not Working - Page 2 Empty New Firmware Successful Update, still have the no audio problem when the receiver is off

Post  sranger3 Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:06 am

Tonite I figured I would give it a shot. I updated via a wired ethernet connection to the Latest Firmware Version: 1130-9107-0300. It did not fix the problem. I do have another TV to test with. I will try it this weekend with a Vizio 3D TV.

Steve

sranger3

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:37 pm

Hi Forum users,

If you are having issue doing the latest firmware update over the Ethernet/LAN please try using the USB method. Please see the following how to video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LIsjKtjkDk&list=PLCD4593F66DC5D23C&index=17&feature=plpp_video

Thank you,

Forum Moderator.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sranger3 Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:03 pm

Well I don't know if it was the TV or the firmware. I swapped the tv for another one. At first i got no picture or sound. Went to the menu and enabled HDMI thru to Cabl/Sat. How it got disabled is another question. Maybe the firmware? Then I turned the receiver off and I was getting picture and sound through the receiver to the TV. Problem solved. Thank you Onkyo.

sranger3

Back to top Go down

Post  lastyear4gt Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:46 am

Hold on, when this was fixed did you go back to using the TV you originally had the problem with? What was the firmware update #?

lastyear4gt

Back to top Go down

Post  sranger3 Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:59 pm

I did not go back to the original TV that I had the problem with. My firmware version is 1130-9107-0300.

Steve

sranger3

Back to top Go down

Post  lastyear4gt Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:20 pm

Good to know. Thanks for the update.

lastyear4gt

Back to top Go down

Post  bmentor Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:51 pm

I have similar problems with my NR616 and have updated to the latest firmware update and that did not fix the problem. When I first installed the the NR616 (actually, a professional Home Theater guy installed) I DID SEE what was mentioned below as the "grey screen" and I also had to power off and then back on to clear it, very frustrating. The installer unplugged the NR616 and the problem has not come back yet. Here are the problems that I am seeing as of now, after latest firmware update: (1) very long startup time that includes "no signal" error messages, sometimes takes 1/2 minute to load and get a picture and sound finally. (2) when changing channels using my Time Warner HD box, too much delay before I do get the picture and sound, many seconds, maybe 7-10 seconds sometimes, depending on the resolution difference between the channels that I am coming from and changing to. Does work, does eventually get there, but, frustrating to wait so much time. I find myself avoiding changing channels and using the guide so I don't have to wait so long on each . . . after all, I am a channel surfer, I should be able to surf!!!!! My home theater installer guy sold me what he said were the best cables and that they were complient, etc. I trust him and did not mind spending a few extra bucks for the best for my system, especially since I just needed a few. I have an OPPO BD-93 that works perfect with the NR616 and also my new Samsung 64" plasma 3D TV works just fine as well, would be nice to be able to change channels and move from one channel to the next quick enough to avoid frustration. (3) Would be nice to be able to show the audio format in the display on the NR616 so you can actually see it without having to pick up the remote to the Onkyo and hit the display button and toggle though to see which format audio we are listening to and verify its correctness. (4) When doing a fast forward on my DVR the picture blacks out. I assume that my receiver has encountered a different resolution during a commercial, but, should NOT black out when doing a fast forward to get through a commercial. Kind of weird. Does NOT happen all the time and I assume again that is because the resolution does NOT change on EVERY commercial while watching a TV show. Problem (1) and (2) are very important to me to get that fixed, cannot live with it and will return it if nothing is done and get a Yamaha, did not have problems with my old Yamaha and had great sound. Technology has changed and I understand that there will be bugs and they really need to be addressed/fixed. Thanks!

Cebs wrote:Dear Onkyo,
I was silently following this post, since the problem on my receiver TX-NR616 is very similar. I was waiting for the firmware update to say here if working or not.
Unfortunately after firmware upgrade it is still not working.
I have a Satellite receiver (SAT) connected to my TX-NR616 throw HDMI 2, this is the HDMI pass thru I wonder use.
SAT is connected to Onkyo throw an HDMI Monster U3 V600 4ft high speed cable.
Onkyo is connected to TV by a HDMI Monster U3 V1000 8ft high speed cable. My TV has no ARC and those cables are HDMI 1.3 compliant
When I turn on the SAT receiver and the TV, with the receiver in stand by mode, it works for a moment, then sometimes the TV shows “poor signal”on green ( I don’t know who is sending this msg to TV, if Onkyo or the SAT receiver, but it never happened when the SAT was directly connected to TV), sometimes it stays working (pass thru) other times it loses the signal showing on TV a typical grey screen when there is no TV signal detection. If I change the SAT channel it looses the signal and the grey screen appears again, if I don´t change the channel sometimes It keeps working. If the grey screens appear it never get back working again, so I have to turn on the receiver to reestablish working condition and I can turn off to use pass thru function. That’s pretty annoying.
It seems that when the receiver detects loss of signal from HDMI input it turns it off. But since it has signal, probably onkyo should recalibrate the input detection to not detect it wrongly.
I´ve read all the HDMI concerns Onkyo published, and I´m sure those cables are all compliant with that.
Hope you guys release another firmware to solve this issue.
Best Regards,

bmentor

Back to top Go down

TX NR616 HDMI Audio Pass Through Not Working - Page 2 Empty TX-NR616 A/V Pass Through Not Working Properly

Post  svghio Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:08 pm

Like others who have posted about this issue, I purchased a TX-NR616 2 months ago; and every 2-3 days I have to reset the device in order to restore the A/V signal to my LCD HD televsion. I've tested and verified that the HDMI cable, the input connection at the TV and the output connections at the signal devices (a satellite control box and a blu ray DVD player) are properly functioning. Those devices all work fine together when directly connected. The only time I observe this A/V drop-out is when I'm connected to the TX-NR616 main out; and the only way that I've been able to restore the signal is to reset the receiver (which of course means I have to go throught the setup procedure again -- very frustrating).

I've been on the phone with Onkyo support several times to confirm that my receiver configurations are all correct (i.e. A/V pass through set to on, HDMI set to CBL/Sat, etc) and that I'm running the current firmware version. Everything checks out. This has to be a firmware issue, right? If it was a hardware issue, then I shouldn't be able to restore the signal path at all.

Today the Onkyo rep that I spoke with said that I needed to send the unit to the nearest authorized service center, which is 400 miles away from me, and "they'll repair it." My question is: "If this really is a firmware issue, what will the repair shop be able to do about it?" Perhaps they'll replace the board???

Well, I guess I'll report back what happens whenever I get the receiver back. I just hope the repair shop will spend enough time with device to confirm my observations. After having to pay to ship it to them (nice touch), I sure don't want them return the receiver back to me as-is after a cursory review turns up nothing on their side.

INTERIM UPDATE, 13-Sep: A few moments ago I spoke with the authorized repair shop to which Onkyo directed me to send the receiver. The shop rep said that they've ordered a new HDMI board for the receiver and are awaiting it's arrival. I just wanted to share this fact with the community. Also, a box with packing material and a pre-paid UPS shipping label arrived at my house the other day, which Onkyo intended for me to use for shipping the receiver to the repair shop. So, the Onkyo rep who originally told me that it was my responsibilty to pay for shipping to the shop misunderstood the warranty provisions. Sharing this with the community so that you can be spared the trouble and expense if you receive similar instructions from an Onkyo rep regarding warranty repair shipping instructions.

Last edited by svghio on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding a progress update to my earlier post.)

svghio

Back to top Go down

TX NR616 HDMI Audio Pass Through Not Working - Page 2 Empty Another HDMI not working after being powered down

Post  jwkurtenbach Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:20 pm

Guys,

I've had this TX-NR616 for a week. I like the receiver, but it is quite "buggy" in my opinion...

The HDMI stops working after being powered down about 1 in 5 times.

The only way to get it back is to unplug the AC power.

I'm not using network standby, hdmi through, or Auto standby.

I'm trying for a refund now. It looks like you lost another customer.

ONKYO: you need to get in front of the issues with your receivers.

jwkurtenbach

Back to top Go down

TX NR616 HDMI Audio Pass Through Not Working - Page 2 Empty Concerned at having bought an Onkyo

Post  patmoss1976 Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:35 pm

Guys,
I've had a 616 for about 2 weeks and have spent most of that time trying to work out if i have hardware issues with other parts of my system / cables etc!!! After reading this post if looks as though Onkyo have released a product that should not be on the market, there are far too many bugs still around for it to be fair on the consumer!!
I like many others am experiencing hdmi pass through issues, i know all my cables are compliant, and i have no other issues. When i come to watch my TV in the morning there is no signal either audio or visual. My problem is that to get the pass through to work i have to use the display on the receiver itself, go into the hardware setup menu and change the pass through option to "off". This means that the receiver re-initialises its HDMI connections when switched off and on (Not necessary to unplug the unit). Once re-initialised the picture and audio appear through the receiver. At this point i have to go back into the hardware menu (Which i can then do on my tv screen) and re-enable pass through. Now the receiver will allow me to switch into standby and will work as advertised, sometime for the rest of the day. Next morning is the same old scenario, the standby light is still on but no sound or picture, pretty much a throw me out of the window experience each and every day.
Any chance of some Onkyo input?? Or has anyone else had an identical issue? I'm a little reluctant to hit the latest firmware update as i don't want to make things any worse!!! If i had read about these issues before purchase i would have gone Marantz,
Any advice would be much appreciated Evil or Very Mad

patmoss1976

Back to top Go down

TX NR616 HDMI Audio Pass Through Not Working - Page 2 Empty Onkyo support please

Post  patmoss1976 Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:37 pm

Onkyo,
Is there any chance that you might come clean and explain the issues with this receiver? I have already posted my problems on here although i now do have another one also, the ethernet connection on my unit doesn't work either, tried to put it on my network yesterday.
Please can we get a reply from one of your reps to give a reasonable explanation as to how such a "Buggy" item ever made it passed quality controls and was allowed to be sold to the public??
I bought the 616 on the strength of its spec sheet, BIG MISTAKE!!!

patmoss1976

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:05 pm

We are still in the progress of resolving this issue; but would like some information from those afflicted with this issue to provide the following data for further research. Your actual input can provide better results in recitfiying this issue and resolving this issue to have you once again enjoy your new receiver.

• Make/model of source device(s):

• Does this happen with all sources? If not, which one(s)?

• Make/model and length of HDMI cables/extenders/etc :

• When does this happen (always at initial power on, when switching sources, while watching a particular source, combination)?

• Make/model of TV/ Projector:

• Approximately how often does this happen (1 out of 10 times, etc)?

• How many times has this happened?

• How long has the unit been installed?

• What is the exact firmware version (check by going to FW update via the "Home" button on the remote)?

• What is the HDMI Monitor Out setting (Auto, THRU, etc)?

• Are you using HDMI OUT MAIN or SUB?

• What is the Picture Mode (Custom, Cinema, Through, Direct, etc)?

• Is HDMI Control (RIHD) On or Off (look in Hardware Setup-> HDMI)?

• Is HDMI THRU On or Off (look in Hardware Setup-> HDMI)?

• Is Net Standby On or Off ((look in Hardware Setup-> Network)?

• What is the Incoming and Outgoing video resolution (press the Display Button on the front panel until it shows both… should be something like "1080p/60 -> 1080p/60")

We appreciate all responses and look forward to resolving this issue promptly. Thank you again for your patronage, patience, and cooperation.

Cordially;
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  svghio Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:59 am

OnkyoUSA wrote:We are still in the progress of resolving this issue; but would like some information from those afflicted with this issue to provide the following data for further research. Your actual input can provide better results in recitfiying this issue and resolving this issue to have you once again enjoy your new receiver.

• Make/model of source device(s): TX-NR616

• Does this happen with all sources? If not, which one(s)? YES

• Make/model and length of HDMI cables/extenders/etc : ProFlex High Speed HDMI Cable (with Ethernet E336301) UL Type CL3; Length: 25 ft; no extenders

• When does this happen (always at initial power on, when switching sources, while watching a particular source, combination)? Every time unit has been powered off for longer than approx. 8 hours

• Make/model of TV/ Projector: LG 47LS5700

• Approximately how often does this happen (1 out of 10 times, etc)? See above; I don't observe this generally when the unit is power cycled within an 8 window. But, nearly every time (9 out of 10 times) I turn it on in the morning after having shut it down overnight, I find that I've lost the A/V signal to my television; and, I am unable to restore it without doing a system reset of the receiver.

• How many times has this happened? At least a dozen times since first use in mid-July 2012

• How long has the unit been installed? Since July 20, 2012

• What is the exact firmware version (check by going to FW update via the "Home" button on the remote)? 1100-6103-0300

• What is the HDMI Monitor Out setting (Auto, THRU, etc)? Monitor Out: MAIN; Resolution: AUTO

• Are you using HDMI OUT MAIN or SUB? MAIN

• What is the Picture Mode (Custom, Cinema, Through, Direct, etc)? CUSTOM

• Is HDMI Control (RIHD) On or Off (look in Hardware Setup-> HDMI)? OFF

• Is HDMI THRU On or Off (look in Hardware Setup-> HDMI)? ON, set to CBL/SAT

• Is Net Standby On or Off ((look in Hardware Setup-> Network)? OFF

• What is the Incoming and Outgoing video resolution (press the Display Button on the front panel until it shows both… should be something like "1080p/60 -> 1080p/60") 1080i/60 -> 1080i/60

We appreciate all responses and look forward to resolving this issue promptly. Thank you again for your patronage, patience, and cooperation.

Cordially;

svghio

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:16 pm

Hello svghio;

Thank you for the information; as this is being forwarded to the proper department for further evaluation. Have you recently tried doing the latest firmware update onto your receiver? How you attempted to perform the latest firmware update and have any difficulties in doing so?

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  svghio Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:08 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:Hello svghio;

Thank you for the information; as this is being forwarded to the proper department for further evaluation. Have you recently tried doing the latest firmware update onto your receiver? How you attempted to perform the latest firmware update and have any difficulties in doing so?

Cordially;

Forum Moderator

I received my TX-NR616 back from the authorized service center in Huntington Beach, CA (Adam's Electronics) last Friday (21-Sep). When I hooked the unit back up to my system, I received a message indicating that a firmware update was available. So, I ran the update and didn't notice any problems during the download (it took about 45 minutes via a hardwire connection to my broadband router). Several hours later when I turned the receiver back on, I receieved the same firmware update notice. So, I agreed to run the update again. This time it completed in less than 15 minutes. I'm guessing that the update routine recognized that the update had already been installed within the first few minutes of starting the second download.

For your information, the service notes from Adam's Electonics indicate that they replaced the HDMI board on my receiver. And, last night (23-Sep) after the unit had been off for approximately 7 hours, I once again experienced loss of HDMI a/v signal to my television. Audio was still being passed to the connected speakers. As I've done since my purchase of the unit in June, I conducted a system reset (simultaneously holding down the CBL/SAT and Power buttons), reestablished the HDMI through settings in the setup options and the signal path to the television (both audio and video) was immediately restored.

I have independently tested the direct connection of the satellite box and DVD player to my television. I don't experience any lost signal problems when those devices are directly connected to my television. So, the TV, HDMI cable and signal sources don't appear to be variables of any significance with this signal loss problem. The only time I expereince this signal loss issue is when the TX-NR616 is serving and the signal hub.

I hope you folks can find the source of this problem and provide us a solution soon. Resetting the receiver (and reestablishing menu settings) several times a week is certainly not something that I want to be obligated to perform in the years to come.

Steve Ghio

svghio

Back to top Go down

TX NR616 HDMI Audio Pass Through Not Working - Page 2 Empty similar issue but with optical audio

Post  diamond204 Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:57 am

Onkyo - you may find this useful. Everyone is pointing to HDMI as the issue and many are swapping out their HDMI cards at service centers, but I do not believe that HDMI is the sole issue.

My TV does not support ARC, so I am using a Monster optical cable, and have it in the Optical 1 input in my brand new 616.

I am experiencing the same issue as others have described here, but not with HDMI, and instead only with the audio from this optical cable.

Seems that after being turned off for a while, and then turned back on the input no longer accepts the audio signal. The only way to "fix" is to unplug the unit. After plugging back in, the audio input works fine. Perhaps the standby mode is putting the inputs to sleep, and they are unable to wake? (affects all digital inputs - optical and HDMI)? I would love an option to disable standby mode, and just have it fully power down. Or even better, have standby mode only active for 15 minutes, and then have the unit power down completely. In my case that would fix the issue.

It is not the cable or TV as I am replacing a similar setup from an 805. Worked flawlessly for years.

Can you update the bios to re-initialize the inputs after every return from standby mode? Even if it takes longer to reboot?

diamond204

Back to top Go down

Post  svghio Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:59 pm

diamond204 wrote:Onkyo - you may find this useful. Everyone is pointing to HDMI as the issue and many are swapping out their HDMI cards at service centers, but I do not believe that HDMI is the sole issue.

My TV does not support ARC, so I am using a Monster optical cable, and have it in the Optical 1 input in my brand new 616.

I am experiencing the same issue as others have described here, but not with HDMI, and instead only with the audio from this optical cable.

Seems that after being turned off for a while, and then turned back on the input no longer accepts the audio signal. The only way to "fix" is to unplug the unit. After plugging back in, the audio input works fine. Perhaps the standby mode is putting the inputs to sleep, and they are unable to wake? (affects all digital inputs - optical and HDMI)? I would love an option to disable standby mode, and just have it fully power down. Or even better, have standby mode only active for 15 minutes, and then have the unit power down completely. In my case that would fix the issue.

It is not the cable or TV as I am replacing a similar setup from an 805. Worked flawlessly for years.

Can you update the bios to re-initialize the inputs after every return from standby mode? Even if it takes longer to reboot?

I think that diamond204 is on to something. If I power-cycle the 616 within a 1 hour time frame, I don't seem to experience the signal loss circumstance that I described in my earlier post. However, when the receiver is off for an extended period of time (e.g. overnight), the signal loss problem rears it's head. Because I've always been able to restore the a/v signal path by resetting the receiver (and because the HDMI board has now been replaced), I don't think that this is a true hardware problem. The signal processing hardware just isn't receiving a "wake-up call" when it's taken out of an extended standby.

svghio

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:11 pm

Hello Svghio;

Please review the PM message or contact our PRODUCT SUPPORT department at (800) 229-1687 and ask for the FORUM MODERATOR.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next