Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

***VIDEO'S ADDED about TX-NR616 and other units with the HDMI pass thru not working after shut off test of units what I see and might help Onkyo's Service ** ALSO INFO ON ONKYO'S REMOTE APP**

5 posters

Go down

***VIDEO'S ADDED about TX-NR616 and other units with the HDMI pass thru not working after shut off test of units what I see and might help Onkyo's Service ** ALSO INFO ON ONKYO'S REMOTE APP** Empty ***VIDEO'S ADDED about TX-NR616 and other units with the HDMI pass thru not working after shut off test of units what I see and might help Onkyo's Service ** ALSO INFO ON ONKYO'S REMOTE APP**

Post  FlyByNgt Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:21 pm

Hi All,

I have been having the problems with a new Onkyo TX-NR616 I purchased less than 30 days ago. Jose, the Onkyo NJ Forum moderator whom is also in the main Saddle Brook, NJ product support team has been wonderful in his help for my unit. My unit was replaced by Jose in the NJ Support Dept on the 19th of this month. It worked well for 1 day and then started with the pass-thru not working. Back to the unplugging or resetting the unit. Yesterday I was so fed up when I turned on my TV and again had the LG box spinning saying no signal I walked away before I threw something and left the TV on (receiver was off but in pass-thru mode) to my surprise when I came back the tv popped on.. I was like ??? I then turned it off for about a hour. Upon turning on the TV the same issue happened... I timed it. It took from 4 to 6 minutes to pass thru.

Everyone who is having this problem with the Onkyo receivers, if they are still connected. Try leaving the receiver in the standby mode, with pass thru set to on. Turn on your TV. If you have no signal.. WAIT AND TIME IT and see if it does the same and does eventually pass thru and post your results. I know this is no answer or fix at all.. BUT it might help Onkyo's Support to better isolate this problem which seems to be so widespread.

Include your model # and firmware version and if it did pass thru and how long it took if it did work.

Lets see maybe we can help Onkyo with this problem.

FYI.. FOR ALL THE USERS ASKING ABOUT THE APP NOT BEING ABLE TO TURN THE RECEIVER BACK ON... YOU HAVE TO LEAVE YOUR UNIT IN NETWORK STANDBY MODE. You will then be able to turn the receivers on with the app.

Can not wait to see the replies if you all experience the same and how long it took to pass thru if it worked for you. Like I said, in no way the answer.. but might help.

Ciao, FlyByNgt 9-26-12 1:25pm EST

Last edited by FlyByNgt on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:16 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling errors..)
FlyByNgt
FlyByNgt

Back to top Go down

***VIDEO'S ADDED about TX-NR616 and other units with the HDMI pass thru not working after shut off test of units what I see and might help Onkyo's Service ** ALSO INFO ON ONKYO'S REMOTE APP** Empty Re: ***VIDEO'S ADDED about TX-NR616 and other units with the HDMI pass thru not working after shut off test of units what I see and might help Onkyo's Service ** ALSO INFO ON ONKYO'S REMOTE APP**

Post  FlyByNgt Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:20 pm

I am really sorry it did not work. What is your firmware.. maybe we can compare?

Last edited by FlyByNgt on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
FlyByNgt
FlyByNgt

Back to top Go down

***VIDEO'S ADDED about TX-NR616 and other units with the HDMI pass thru not working after shut off test of units what I see and might help Onkyo's Service ** ALSO INFO ON ONKYO'S REMOTE APP** Empty Re: ***VIDEO'S ADDED about TX-NR616 and other units with the HDMI pass thru not working after shut off test of units what I see and might help Onkyo's Service ** ALSO INFO ON ONKYO'S REMOTE APP**

Post  svghio Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:11 pm

Well, I tried your test this evening, first with the receiver off and then with the receiver on; but, I'm afraid in both cases there was no signal being passed to my television after 20+ minutes. I was hoping to be able to reproduce your results, but was not able to. Sorry.

svghio

Back to top Go down

***VIDEO'S ADDED about TX-NR616 and other units with the HDMI pass thru not working after shut off test of units what I see and might help Onkyo's Service ** ALSO INFO ON ONKYO'S REMOTE APP** Empty Attached VIDEO of how my system pops thru after a few moments

Post  FlyByNgt Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:05 am

Video #1 of many

Hope the MODs do not delete, I am hoping this will help Onkyo and other Forum Members.
FlyByNgt
FlyByNgt

Back to top Go down

***VIDEO'S ADDED about TX-NR616 and other units with the HDMI pass thru not working after shut off test of units what I see and might help Onkyo's Service ** ALSO INFO ON ONKYO'S REMOTE APP** Empty Video #2 taken about a 1/2 hour later...

Post  FlyByNgt Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:09 am

Again I hope the Mods do not delete, as I am just trying to help ONKYO Support and us who have these units that we want to keep as long as we can get these items worked out.
FlyByNgt
FlyByNgt

Back to top Go down

***VIDEO'S ADDED about TX-NR616 and other units with the HDMI pass thru not working after shut off test of units what I see and might help Onkyo's Service ** ALSO INFO ON ONKYO'S REMOTE APP** Empty #3, Settings #1. Will post rest tomorrow.

Post  FlyByNgt Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:14 am

Please mods do not delete... just trying to help ONKYO Support and all us users.

Nite all. FlyByNgt. Hope this all helps in some way.
FlyByNgt
FlyByNgt

Back to top Go down

***VIDEO'S ADDED about TX-NR616 and other units with the HDMI pass thru not working after shut off test of units what I see and might help Onkyo's Service ** ALSO INFO ON ONKYO'S REMOTE APP** Empty More settings video on auto standby for when no signal detected (default)

Post  FlyByNgt Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:28 am

FlyByNgt
FlyByNgt

Back to top Go down

***VIDEO'S ADDED about TX-NR616 and other units with the HDMI pass thru not working after shut off test of units what I see and might help Onkyo's Service ** ALSO INFO ON ONKYO'S REMOTE APP** Empty One more I think I forgot...

Post  FlyByNgt Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:11 am

FlyByNgt
FlyByNgt

Back to top Go down

***VIDEO'S ADDED about TX-NR616 and other units with the HDMI pass thru not working after shut off test of units what I see and might help Onkyo's Service ** ALSO INFO ON ONKYO'S REMOTE APP** Empty *** NEW VIDEO ***This is a video I took this morning following the previous ones

Post  FlyByNgt Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:11 pm

This NEW video was taken this morning after the ones posted last nite. No settings were changed. As you can see the tv is even on the same channel as it was.

After about a 10 hour shut off of all components except the cable box. You will see that it took roughly 4 minutes for the Onkyo TX-NR616 to allow the passthrough.

This is the last video I will post unless anyone needs any further assistance or Onkyo asks me to post something.

Forum Moderator, please do not delete. Hoping to help Onkyo to see this problem and helping out others that have had to like myself, unplug and/or reset the receiver.

User name... FlyByNgt.
FlyByNgt
FlyByNgt

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:27 pm

Hello FlybyNght;

As we have tested for the past few days and have also tested with other customer's units; your unit is the only current one experiencing this issue. We are still researching with your current TV manufacturer to further test this issue. Can you please provide the model number of your LG TV? As we can provide video showing the HDMI THRU feature functioning with the receiver.

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

***VIDEO'S ADDED about TX-NR616 and other units with the HDMI pass thru not working after shut off test of units what I see and might help Onkyo's Service ** ALSO INFO ON ONKYO'S REMOTE APP** Empty Info...

Post  FlyByNgt Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:59 am

Forum Moderator,

These videos were only put up here to hopefully help others while they wait for either a fix and/or firmware for the same type problem, also to help Onkyo's service techs to see that it did eventually within the 2 to 4 minute like shown in the videos the passthrough kicked in, it was not meant in any ill mannered postings. I did it to help others not having to keep unplugging or resetting their units if theirs worked in its own way like the TX-NR616 in the videos did. I was just trying to show that the video did pass through but it took a few moments, I usually, like everyone else once you saw that no signal box all the time would not even wait to see if it would pop through.. went right for the plug and/or reset the TX-NR616 in the videos. If you notice that TX-NR616 had a different firmware on it, as it was a replacement unit from Onkyo when my original unit (within my 30 day purchase window) would not allow at all the passthrough at all. Onkyo service was so nice to exchange my defective TX-NR616 with the one in the videos and have been in communication.

This unit in the videos was sent back to Onkyo yesterday, 10-3-12. Support and service have been great and are hopefully shipping out a replacement unit to me today. Thank you Onkyo's Support and Service Dept's. Hopefully when the new unit arrives I will have no other issues. Very Happy

In case you still want my TV model # is: 55LM4600 Make: LG, LED/LCD 55" 3-D TV, Manafactured July 2012.

I know it was not my equipment causing the issue. Upon removing the TX-NR616 and plugging the HDMI cable back into TV until new unit arrives from Onkyo, picture and sound pop right on TV with no lag at all.

FlyByNgt 10-3-12
FlyByNgt
FlyByNgt

Back to top Go down

***VIDEO'S ADDED about TX-NR616 and other units with the HDMI pass thru not working after shut off test of units what I see and might help Onkyo's Service ** ALSO INFO ON ONKYO'S REMOTE APP** Empty Add to above post...

Post  FlyByNgt Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:39 am

Hi Forum Moderator,

If you see in the videos the TV I am using now is the new LG 3-D TV I purchased. In the videos you see the other TV mounted above. It is a 52" Sharp Aquos. When I was having the problems with the TX-NR616 I did try the same test plugging in the HDMI cable into the Sharp Aquos TV, Model # LC52D85U, and had the same issues. Just for you and Onkyo's FYI.

FlyByNgt
FlyByNgt

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:00 pm

Please check the PRESS RELEASES on our Onkyo webpage for further information on the implementation and release of the firmware version addressing the improvement of the HDMI VIDEO issue for the TX-NR 515 and TX-NR 616 receivers. Information will be provided within the next week.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RandyG Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:08 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:Hello FlybyNght;

As we have tested for the past few days and have also tested with other customer's units; your unit is the only current one experiencing this issue. We are still researching with your current TV manufacturer to further test this issue. Can you please provide the model number of your LG TV? As we can provide video showing the HDMI THRU feature functioning with the receiver.

Forum Moderator

Just for fun, I'd like to add my 2 cents to this topic.

I bought a TX-NR609 last year, the pass-thu would work for a while and then stop. I filed a case etc etc and after lots of troubleshooting they determined the amp was faulty. Returned it, got another 609. Same thing, worked for a while, maybe 1 day, sometimes 3, and it would quit passing thru. Reset to defaults fixes it for another random short amount of time. More troubleshooting, end result, they said that one must be defective too.

After two, I gave up on TX-NR609 and ponied up almost twice the money for a TX-NR709... Nope, exact same issue. More hours and hours of tech support. They determined that my new 709 must be faulty too. So I bought another TR-709. EXACT same thing.

Note that I am in Canada, these cost > $1000 each. I was also told it was never reported before, I'm the only one with the issue ( yep all four of MY amps were the only one with the issue, LOL ... and I never took the 1st '709 back, now I have two of them, ouch )

On the 709, failure = passthru lasts about 20-30 seconds and then shuts off completely. The 609 time was a bit more random length before it shut off, 10 to 90 seconds I think.

I any case, I'm not sure Onkyo has ever figured out has to make passthru work - if you Google it, there's endless hits on it, all models.

Now - that said - I don't really much care anymore. I bought one of those watt-meters, and realized there is only a difference of a couple watts in standby-passthru versus "ON". The whole amp is still fully powered ON - pretty much just the front display is turned off in "Standby-Passthru".

So using stand-by/pass-thru is a total waste of time anyway, you may as well leave the thing on. The few extra watts it consumes to leave the amp on while you're watching without standby is far more energy conscious than having it sit there and burn almost full power 24 hrs a day anyway.

Of course, I originally bought a $600 '609 model, and ended up spending a couple grand on two $1000 '709s - so pennies saved in power are rather puny based on the extra $1400 this "standby-passthru" adventure has cost me already... lol

(I am curious if your NR-616 also consumes almost full power on standby/pass-thru, do you have access to one of those KILL-A-WATT type meters? They are pretty cheap, around $20)

Also, I found this out by accident one day... If you switch the '709 to "FM radio" mode, and THEN power it off, the pass-thru mode works PERFECT, every time. This actually annoys me when it "works" now because it just burns power for no reason... I'd prefer it to fail and burn no power until I turn the TV on again. Maybe try that on your '616 - it might just work for you.

RandyG

Back to top Go down

***VIDEO'S ADDED about TX-NR616 and other units with the HDMI pass thru not working after shut off test of units what I see and might help Onkyo's Service ** ALSO INFO ON ONKYO'S REMOTE APP** Empty TX-NR616 NO VIDEO OUTPUT. RECALL OR REFUND DEMANDED IF YOU CAN NOT FIX. TOO MANY USERS WITH SAME PROBLEM

Post  311stylie Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:22 pm

OK people.... I see hundreds of consumers with the same problem on the 515 and 616 line. If you need to know my system configuration I will give it to you but you should know before asking that EVERYTHING WORKED FINE until I turned off the power on my outlets to change a switch out. Yes the system was off (or in standby). AFTER THAT my system WILL NOT SHOW VIDEO WITHOUT UNPLUGGING AND PLUGGING BACK IN. What is the deal ONKYO?????

IS THIS GROUNDS FOR A RECALL??? I HAVE THE LATEST UPDATE AS OF THIS WEEKEND (10/26/2012) AND NO CHANGE. SAME PROBLEM. UNPLUG AND PLUG BACK IN AFTER POWER UP TO GET FREAKING VIDEO.

For spending $700 I DEMAND A SOLUTION OR A REFUND.

OBVIOUSLY THE LATEST FIRMWARE IS NOT A FIX

I saw the post on this thread about seeing the "press release". I see no press release about the fix. Only the new firmware which as you can see above I downloaded and properly installed and it has fixed nothing. So what is in the VERY NEAR FUTURE to fix the no video bug in the 515/616 line??????

311stylie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down