Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Force Composite for Video 4 Instead of Component

2 posters

Go down

Force Composite for Video 4 Instead of Component Empty Force Composite for Video 4 Instead of Component

Post  kdailey3 Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:07 am

I have 2 component sources coming IN to my TX DS 696. One is set to DVD, the other Video 1. Great. Both work.

But I have a COMPOSITE video source piped into Video 4 that I can't get picture for - the component video sources 'override' the composite. I went to Setup for Video Input for Video 4 but it only gives me 2 choices - Component 1 or 2, no mention of the composite (yellow) input in the Video 4 lineup on the back of the unit.

How do I bypass the 2 component video feeds and force Video 4 to be the composite input?

Thank you

K

kdailey3

Back to top Go down

Force Composite for Video 4 Instead of Component Empty Re: Force Composite for Video 4 Instead of Component

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:41 am

Hi K,
I have an associate looking into this and will get back to you shortly. Thank you!
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Force Composite for Video 4 Instead of Component Empty Re: Force Composite for Video 4 Instead of Component

Post  kdailey3 Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:11 pm

Here are some other thoughts on this - I don't know if they'll help in assessing what the issue is:

I unplugged the 2 component inputs. Yellow composite input to Video 4 still doesn't show.

I plugged the yellow composite input directly into the TV - where it works - so there's definitely picture happening.

My only video OUT from the receiver is COMPONENT - is that the issue? I know that composite IN / component OUT doesn't make composite look better but I'm trying to simplify source switching - I still want the audio to go to the receiver / out to my stereo monitors but if I put the composite directly into the TV then I not only have to switch the receiver to Video 4, but I'd have to change the TV input as well. I'm not the only one using the system and don't want to 'make a chart' of all the connections for other viewers.

K

kdailey3

Back to top Go down

Post  kdailey3 Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:49 am

My internet research "suggests" that what I'm trying to do might not be possible - one format in, (composite) and another format out. (component)

But if that's true, then why is there a Video 3 (I think.. not in front of the system right now) that only has a composite video / LR audio *IN* ...but no video / audio OUT? How would this be used? What good is a video source going in without any means of getting it out? It would make sense if the system DID convert between composite to component because then that Video 3 composite IN would have the component OUT to get out to the display.

Just trying to think this through.

K

kdailey3

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:22 am

Hi K,
I apologies that it is taking so long for me to get back to you. I am still waiting on a reponse from an associate and I should have an answer for you by the end of today. Thank you for your patience!
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:50 pm

Hi K,
Unfortunately, the Tx-DS696 does not up-convert a signal from composite to componenet. So if you are coming in composite yellow and going out component it will not work. You have to use the same cable that you originaly come into the reciever with. Thank you for choosing Onkyo!
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down