Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR515 No HDMI video out when using Component in

4 posters

Go down

TX-NR515 No HDMI video out when using Component in Empty TX-NR515 No HDMI video out when using Component in

Post  NotInUse Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:15 pm

I've just spend a few hours trying to get this to work and I'm stumped.

Basic set up....

Sources: Sony Playstation 3 (HDMI and Optical Audio out) and Motorola DVR (Component video and Optical audio outs - No HDMI ports)

Monitor: Panasonic Viera with HDMI and Component ins

Receiver: Using a TX-NR515 I just purchased.

Playstation -> HDMI & Optical Audio -> TX-NR515 -> HDMI -> Viera = No issues.
DVR -> Component video + Optical Audio -> TX-NR515 -> HDMI -> Viera = audio but no video.

What gives?

DVR -> Component -> TX-NR515 -> Component -> Viera does show video.

Is there no way to use one HDMI monitor out when using a Component video source?

Thanks.

Also.. when I turn on the TX-NR515 it always defaults to the Playstation (game) input... how can I set that to default to cable/Sat???

NotInUse

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 No HDMI video out when using Component in Empty Re: TX-NR515 No HDMI video out when using Component in

Post  etw Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:26 pm

I'm assuming you removed the HDMI# as the default input selector for the input you want to assign to component. You then need to map component video to that input selector in the setup menu. I can tell you for sure that what you want to do works. My DVD Recorder is on the 515 component input and is output from the HDMI.

etw

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 No HDMI video out when using Component in Empty Re: TX-NR515 No HDMI video out when using Component in

Post  NotInUse Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:28 pm

Yes I'v set cbl/sat to "in1" and game to "hdmi 3" all other options are set to "----"

This is why I'm completely stumped. Looking through set up the sources and outputs all appear correct.. yet no video via HDMI out when Component is the source.

NotInUse

Back to top Go down

Post  NotInUse Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:39 pm

Okay.. sorted... stupid DVR. I merely had to go back into the DVR's set up and turn off the HD resolutions, then turn them back on.

Not an issue with the receiver.

I would still like to know how to get the receiver to default to the cble/sat source rather than the game source.

NotInUse

Back to top Go down

Post  etw Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:46 pm

For upconverting, the component output will produce no video unless the input signal is 480i/576i. This might be why you're not getting video. Try fiddling with the DVR settings. I'd also check if you get a picture using the component monitor out directly to the TV just to see if that works.

etw

Back to top Go down

Post  etw Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:48 pm

NotInUse wrote:Okay.. sorted... stupid DVR. I merely had to go back into the DVR's set up and turn off the HD resolutions, then turn them back on.

Not an issue with the receiver.

I would still like to know how to get the receiver to default to the cble/sat source rather than the game source.

There is a menu option for this. It is probably set to "last".

etw

Back to top Go down

Post  NotInUse Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:58 pm

I posted too soon.

DVR outputs up to 1080i. Seems I only get pictures when it's outputting 480i/p. I get no picture when the DVR is outputting 720p or 1080i.

I don't think this is specifically an up converting issue since the DVR is outputting the high res. It's just not being translated through the receiver.

Connection directly from DVR to TV is fine.. in fact connection from DVR to Onkyo HTR540 to tv was fine. I'm merely trying to upgrade the receiver and am discovering that what should work as well or better than it did with the HTR540 is actually not working at all.

I can't get HD pictures via a component in.

NotInUse

Back to top Go down

Post  NotInUse Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:07 pm

I'm frankly amazed that I can't get an HD picture from my DVR with this receiver. It worked just fine with an older non-HDMI Onkyo receiver.

NotInUse

Back to top Go down

Post  etw Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:11 pm

There is a chart in the manual on page 87. Only 480i component input will be output on the HDMI ports. The receiver's component output supports up to 1080p. Doesn't your DVR have HDMI out? This would be the way to go (as well as ditching the optical audio cables).

etw

Back to top Go down

Post  NotInUse Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:21 pm

Nope no HDMI out from the DVR. Only Coax, DVI, Component, and Optical Audio.
I may try a DVI to HDMI adapter with the optical audio.

I see the chart, but that explains what the receiver will output.. which is fine. The TV supports it all.

The problem is Component In 1080i or 720p -> receiver -> HDMI out = No picture.
Component In 1080i or 720p -> receiver -> Component out = picture (Provided I change the input source for the TV)

I want HD Component in => HDMI HD out... I can't get that.

NotInUse

Back to top Go down

Post  etw Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:27 pm

Yep. That is my understanding as well. Monoprice makes a component/SPDIF to HDMI converter that I have and am happy with. The other option is switching the TV input but I find that irritating/inconvenient.
See this thread for more info (and a link to a connection diagram). https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com/t739-tx-nr515-no-upscale-from-composite-or-component?highlight=component

etw

Back to top Go down

Post  NotInUse Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:35 pm

Okay so the adapter seems it may be the way to go...

But do you know... Does the 515 see ALL component connections as only 480i even though Component can and DOES support 1080??? That seems like a serious software flaw in the 515. There's no logical reason a 1080i Component in signal shouldn't be output as a 1080i HDMI signal.

NotInUse

Back to top Go down

Post  etw Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:35 pm

I agree with you, but it doesn't appear to work that way unfortunately. It's either the adapter, a DVR with HDMI, or a harmony remote to simplify the input switching. I only have one component video device, but I am amazed at the single component in, the plethora of composite connections, no S-video inputs, and several HDMI inputs that have no way to be accessed.

etw

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 No HDMI video out when using Component in Empty no video out issue

Post  MARK616 Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:02 am

I have given up on Onkyo. I am in UK and in Sept 2012 bought a new TX-NR515 and upgraded to latest software as soon as I set the amp up - as told to do so in the instructions. I continually had video out problems - where no signal came out either HDMI or HDMI when I turned the unit on sometimes. I checked everything but to no avail. So I reported it to Onkyo , whom to this day did not reply. I then took it back to the shop and paid more for a TX-NR616, believing that if it was a 0.3 percent problem then surely I would be ok with this one. How wrong I was - it was EXACTLY the same with the 616.
The shop doubted me and took the unit to check. They reported after a week that they had experienced problems and the manager had opened up a second 616 to test that and had experienced the same problem again...
So there you go: certainly not a 0.3 percent problem.
It is appallingly poor customer service from Onkyo and ridiculous they have not addressed this issue professionally.
I changed the amp for a Yamaha which has Airplay but lacks THX but after listening to it I like the Yamaha better.
I HAVE PROMISED MYSELF NEVER TO BY ONKYO AGAIN.

MARK616

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:56 pm

We are still working on this issue and awaiting further feedback and data. We are still compiling information from those affected by this issue and appreciate the information being provided by those who want to help resolve this unforeseen misoperation. Please await further information regarding the resolution of this specific issue and further instructions.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down