Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Volume level difference TV/Cable vs DVD/CD for 609 receiver

2 posters

Go down

Volume level difference TV/Cable vs DVD/CD for 609 receiver Empty Volume level difference TV/Cable vs DVD/CD for 609 receiver

Post  sdumin Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:41 pm

I have TX-NR609 and have just set it up. I have the DVD/CD player and cable box connected directly to the receiver via RCA/Audio output cables. When I play DVD/CD's, the volume level is much higher than when I play the TV/Cable through the receiver. I'm not sure why this is an wondering if this is a common issue or if there is a way to adjust the volume level based on the type of input? We play digital music via the cable box all the time and the level is very low so I'm hoping to resolve this. Thanks

sdumin

Back to top Go down

Volume level difference TV/Cable vs DVD/CD for 609 receiver Empty Re: Volume level difference TV/Cable vs DVD/CD for 609 receiver

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Hi sdumin,

Have you tried to use the intellivolume? To get there you would go into the setup, then source setup then intellivolume and adjust as necessary.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Volume level difference TV/Cable vs DVD/CD for 609 receiver Empty Re: Volume level difference TV/Cable vs DVD/CD for 609 receiver

Post  sdumin Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:36 pm

Will try, still learning the internal controls. Sorry, created a duplicate post by accident.

sdumin

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:42 pm

Hi sdumin,

Please let us know how you make out. Thank you for choosing Onkyo.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sdumin Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:02 am

I tried using Intellivolume to adjust the Cable volume up and it did work, however, there is still a large difference for the output volume of the DVD player and the cable box. I have tried several differnt cables (RCA, A/V), and have tried plugging into differnt source inputs (TV/CD, etc.), however, the volume levels are still noticably different. I have to turn the Cable volume way up to play digital audio channels whereas the DVD volume sounds good around 30-40.

Is it possible the Cable box has a differnt output level than the DVD player? I thought that the receiver amp would adjust the audio levels regardless of input? Should I try another cable (optical, USB...), any other recommendations?

sdumin

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:29 pm

Hi sdumin,

You could try Optical or if your cable box has HDMI that would be ideal.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sdumin Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:51 pm

Thx for the help. I had the cable box hooked up to the receiver via HDMI, however, you have to have the receiver on in order to play volume that way. I wanted to be able to play the TV w/out having to run audio through the receiver sometimes so I hooked the HDMI straight to the TV and have the audio cables running to the Receiver which allows you to play the audio via the receiver only when you want to.

My question is if I run the HDMI cable straight into the receiver, and then connect the TV via an HDMI out from the receiver. Is there a way I can play the TV w/ audio without having the receiver turned on and running the audio through the speakers?

sdumin

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:16 pm

Hi sdumin,

You can do that but your TV must support ARC (Audio Return Channel).
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down