Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sporadic decreased volume on TX-NR818 Receiver

2 posters

Go down

Sporadic decreased volume on TX-NR818 Receiver Empty Sporadic decreased volume on TX-NR818 Receiver

Post  VoicOfReason Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:38 am

With my new 818 receiver, I occasionally get diminished sound output. Normally when the volume is at 82, Iron Man is very loud and in your face. The other day I played the movie and had to crank the volume up to 90 and even then there was diminished volume output on every channel including the subwoofer channel. I am not using the internal Onkyo amps at all as I run pre-outs to an Emotiva. So, we can rule out the Onkyo amp as well as the Emotiva since the sub has its own amp as well and its sound was decreased. Also, I checked the obvious things to make sure it was TrueHD and Audyssey was on, etc. In fact, I left all the settings exactly the same and then popped in Avatar and at 82 it was super loud. The only thing that changed was that I switched on 24p and let the projector re-sync with the blu-ray player. So, everything else was left the same. Both movie were Blu-Ray.

I had a friend over at the time and he noticed it to. He said the volume just went way up. We couldn't figure out what was going on.

Could it be a sync issue somehow between blu-ray player and Onkyo?

I'm perplexed.

VoicOfReason

Back to top Go down

Sporadic decreased volume on TX-NR818 Receiver Empty Anyone?

Post  VoicOfReason Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:03 am

Anyone, thoughts?

VoicOfReason

Back to top Go down

Sporadic decreased volume on TX-NR818 Receiver Empty Re: Sporadic decreased volume on TX-NR818 Receiver

Post  The_Chemist Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:10 pm

VoicOfReason wrote:With my new 818 receiver, I occasionally get diminished sound output. Normally when the volume is at 82, Iron Man is very loud and in your face. The other day I played the movie and had to crank the volume up to 90 and even then there was diminished volume output on every channel including the subwoofer channel. I am not using the internal Onkyo amps at all as I run pre-outs to an Emotiva. So, we can rule out the Onkyo amp as well as the Emotiva since the sub has its own amp as well and its sound was decreased. Also, I checked the obvious things to make sure it was TrueHD and Audyssey was on, etc. In fact, I left all the settings exactly the same and then popped in Avatar and at 82 it was super loud. The only thing that changed was that I switched on 24p and let the projector re-sync with the blu-ray player. So, everything else was left the same. Both movie were Blu-Ray.

I had a friend over at the time and he noticed it to. He said the volume just went way up. We couldn't figure out what was going on.

Could it be a sync issue somehow between blu-ray player and Onkyo?

I'm perplexed.

That's really a strange one. It sounds like it could possibly be in the pre-amp section, since you have already ruled out the power amps. What Blu-ray player are you using?

Did you try pressing the info button on the Onkyo remote repeatedly to cycle through the input vs the output. If I remember three pushes gives you all available info.

I'm waiting for my replacement 818 to get here this week as the first one I bought was defective, or I would cycle through and see exactly what input vs output that actually shows.

When the volume is decreased, does it stay that way the entire way through the movie, or will it suddenly switch while watching?
The_Chemist
The_Chemist

Back to top Go down

Sporadic decreased volume on TX-NR818 Receiver Empty Re: Sporadic decreased volume on TX-NR818 Receiver

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down