Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Onkyo HT-RC360 firmware update: Does not work either via NET or USB

5 posters

Go down

Onkyo HT-RC360 firmware update: Does not work either via NET or USB Empty Onkyo HT-RC360 firmware update: Does not work either via NET or USB

Post  Odeen Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:03 pm

Hi guys,

I have an Onkyo HT-RC360 receiver (same unit as TX-NR609, minus the VGA input and THX certification)

I'm trying to upgrade my firmware to correct NET and USB mode blue screens, and to add support for Onkyo Remote app. Unfortunately, the firmware upgrade doesn't work in either NET or USB mode:

a) I upgraded the firmware via the network last fall. Upgrade went perfectly smoothly.
b) Now, the firmware update "hangs" at the last step:
*) I get to the point where I'm supposed to press Enter to begin the upgrade, and the unit just sits there.
*) Output to TV does not stop.
*) Unit is unresponsive to remote input.
*) Unit WILL respond to "Return" button on the front panel. It will return back to the previous firmware update options screen.

Here's what I've done for troubleshooting:
a) RHID / HDMI through disabled before firmware update
b) Receiver gets a proper 192.168.* IP address and responds to ping from my computer. Network connection is functional.
c) I tried the VCR / Power On factory reset. No change when trying to do the upgrade.
d) USB stick is a standard Kingston Data Traveler I 4gb, formatted in FAT32. Receiver recognizes the stick in USB mode.

I found a post on another home theater forum where an HT-RC360 owner had the same freezing issue trying to upgrade his firmware. Is there a "lower level" way to update the firmware? (i.e. playing a specially crafted audio CD over coax or optical input, like pre-USB receivers did). Should I try again with all HDMI disconnected?

Thanks in advance!

Odeen

Back to top Go down

Onkyo HT-RC360 firmware update: Does not work either via NET or USB Empty Does your NET function even work?

Post  itsmefd Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:45 pm

Quick question, can you play music through NET (like Pandora) ?

itsmefd

Back to top Go down

Onkyo HT-RC360 firmware update: Does not work either via NET or USB Empty Re: Onkyo HT-RC360 firmware update: Does not work either via NET or USB

Post  Odeen Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:05 pm

One of the reasons why I want to update the firmware is that using NET and USB results in a blue screen (like the issue described here: https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com/t582-tx-nr609-blue-screen-on-net-and-usb )

Per that thread, upgrading to the latest firmware fixes the issue.

Pandora works fine when the NET and USB functions themselves are working (shortly after unplugging the receiver from the wall, and plugging it back in).

Odeen

Back to top Go down

Onkyo HT-RC360 firmware update: Does not work either via NET or USB Empty Re: Onkyo HT-RC360 firmware update: Does not work either via NET or USB

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:17 pm

Hi Odeen,

We are glad the firmware fixed the issue.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Odeen Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:34 pm

Guys,

The problem is that I am UNABLE to update the firmware. The firmware update process never actually starts after I press Enter the final time.

Odeen

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:55 pm

Hi Odeen,

I apologize that you are still having this issue and also for assuming that you downloaded the firmware and it worked. It seems like you've pretty much done everything that you could possibly do as far as trouble shooting. I would suggest having one of our service centers evaluate that for you. You can find the authorized service centers on our main page under support.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  itsmefd Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Seems like the default reply by Onkyo is either to send in the unit to be serviced by the factory or update your firmware.

The reason why I asked about if you were able to listen to Pandora through the NET option is because even though the receiver can get an IP address, it actually isn't able to connect to the Internet (or even locally for that matter). From my own experience if NET doesn't work, the Onkyo app will never find the receiver either.

Try these steps and see how it goes:
1) Turn the receiver off.
2) Physically unplug the receiver power cord from the outlet.
3) Unplug the Ethernet cable from the back of the receiver.
4) Wait about 1-2 minutes, then plug the power cord back in. Leave the Ethernet cable unplugged. <- We don't want the receiver to try to connect to the network.
5) Turn the receiveron and give the receiver about 1-2 minutes to "boot up".
6) Select an input that you are currently not using, such as Phono or AUX.
7) Insert your USB stick into the front USB port. Give the receiver about 1 minute to see load the USB stick.
8) Go into the settings and try to update the firmware via USB now.
9) On the final step when you press Enter, you should see the front panel indicate something like Downloading...and then display a percentage of how far along it is.
10) The update process takes around 20-30 minutes max. Hope this helps!

itsmefd

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:27 pm

Hi itsmefd,

Have you made sure your router is configured correctly? Even though other devices may work fine on your network there may be some settings on your router that may need to be set in order for the receiver to access the net.
Different routers have different rules and configurations, firewalls and such that may impede the receivers’ access to the net.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Odeen Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:44 pm

The router works fine. I'm able to ping the receiver, and the NET function, when it works, streams audio just fine from different sources. In addition, I successfully updated the firmware, via the network, last fall. Smile

I will try itsmefd's advice tonight, and report back tomorrow.

P.S. - I kind of miss downloading that firmware update WAV file for my old Yamaha RX-V663, putting the receiver into firmware update mode, and streaming the firmware update, as a WAV, to Optical 1. Razz

Odeen

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:19 pm

Hi Odeen,

Let us know how it works out for you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jbears3 Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:30 pm

I had the same problem as OP. Started around the time when I updated the recent update of the iphone onkyo remote 2 app. Actually, the "update" did not work, so uninstalled the app and reinstalled. Then noticed blue screen with NET. I don't know whether the app had anything to do with it, but powering off receiver unit (unplug) did the trick.

jbears3

Back to top Go down

Post  Odeen Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:40 pm

Okay, firmware update completed (thank you, itsmefd!)

Here's what I did differently:
1) Firmware updated linked off the HT-RC360 product page ( www[.]us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=HT-RC360&class=Receiver&p=i ) is outdated (12/2011). The LATEST firmware update (same as the TX-NR609) is linked from here: www[.]us.onkyo.com/download/software.cfm . Scroll down for the HT-RC360 / TX-NR609 update from 3/16/2012.
2) Disconnected HDMI cables from the unit (because when in doubt, blame HDMI)

Firmware update went swimmingly! Unfortunately, it fixed a whole lot of nothing. NET and USB functions still produce a blue screen on the TV, and OnkyoRemote android app cannot find the receiver. It DOES find my Popcorn Hour media player, and my Sony Google TV, so it's definitely talking to the network. The receiver itself is ALSO talking to the network - I'm able to ping it, and access its web page. It's plugged into the same switch as the Popcorn Hour, which has flawless network connectivity.

Note: The NET function isn't having network issues (it would show an error message in that case). It just does.... NOTHING. (Which, with the apologies to Spaceballs, is what this receiver is about to become! Smile )

Odeen

Back to top Go down

Post  jbears3 Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:27 pm

For what its worth, my receiver was "connected" to the network (as judged by connecting to it through a web browser) and I had the same net function problem (blue screen). It was when I unplugged the unit, and waited a minute or so, that I saw the NET function return.

jbears3

Back to top Go down

Post  comp98 Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:00 pm

Odeen-

Were you able to resolve this? I literally have the EXACT same problem. I have isolated this to the receiver. the VCR/Standby reset does not work. Unplugging the power, and/or ethernet does not work. I have tried assigning a static IP, which didn't work. I called in for support at 3:30pm EST last week. I received a call back 5 hours later, at 8:30pm! The tech was not helpful at all, and had me try basic troubleshooting steps. He wanted me to focus on the iPhone app, even though the Firmware update was not working on the receiver via Net or USB (I had done several updates before with no problems). The tech literally told me he couldn't do anything else and hung up. Very poor customer support, in my opinion. This is a shame as I absolutely love the RC360. I use the receiver for my theater, but primarily use Pandora and Zone2 + OnkyoRemote and OnkyoTron to control throughout my house. With the Net portion fried, and the inability to perform updates, this receiver is 50% bricked. I would be interested to hear if anyone else had better results.

Thanks!
Ryan

comp98

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:13 pm

Hi Ryan,

I apologize for that. If the receiver is getting a valid IP address and you are able to ping it and are able access the GUI via a browser then that tells me something is blocking it from getting out. If you could please give me your configuration and the devices on your network so I may look into this for you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  comp98 Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:40 pm

I have walked through this with tech support a few times now. It is not the Internet that is the issue. I can't communicate with my iPhone App- Onkyo Remote or OnkoTron. These are on the local network. The "Network" source selection turns blue and locks up (as referenced above). The firmware update doesn't work via Internet OR USB. All of these functions worked fine just a few weeks ago. Now I am screwed because I can't get support; people complain all over the forums about Service Centers taking forever to fix these receivers, parts being delayed for months. I am shocked to see this die after less than one year. Onkyo products used to last forever. This is the main receiver I use for my TV and also for my House audio. A long time ago I had a Denon receiver that died, and they actually shipped me a brand new one. I wasn't expecting it, but they went above and beyond. I can definitely tell you that if I have to purchase a new receiver, after less than a year, it will not be an Onkyo. The features and value for the money are great, but when the quality is sub-par, those don't matter as much. I'm afraid I have a 50lb paper weight.

comp98

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down