Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR509 "Reference Level" after Audyssey calibration.

3 posters

Go down

TX-NR509 "Reference Level" after Audyssey calibration. Empty TX-NR509 "Reference Level" after Audyssey calibration.

Post  berka Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:47 am

The manual page 44 has text that says:
"A home theater system automatically calibrated by Audyssey 2EQ will play at reference level when the master volume control is set to the 0 dB position. At that level you can hear the mix as the mixers heard it."

The TX-NR509 doesn't show master volume in dB, it has volume levels from 0-80. Which volume level is "0dB" on this receiver?

Thanks,
B

berka

Back to top Go down

TX-NR509 "Reference Level" after Audyssey calibration. Empty Re: TX-NR509 "Reference Level" after Audyssey calibration.

Post  D Bone Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:47 pm

I looked at your manual ( http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/Own-Man-TX-NR509_En_web.pdf?CFID=1964438&CFTOKEN=89842317&jsessionid=f030a22bb226e2f8db0e80525a56e418a533 ) and did not see any way to change the display to Relative (THX) like on my 709................However, in my 709 manual it says "The absolute value 82 is equivalent to the relative value 0 dB".

D Bone

Back to top Go down

TX-NR509 "Reference Level" after Audyssey calibration. Empty Re: TX-NR509 "Reference Level" after Audyssey calibration.

Post  berka Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:35 am

I saw the same 82=0dB in my manual too, but it was about DLNA and appeared to be settable on the streaming computer. I understood that as a pre-amp adjustment as opposed to the master volume.
Max is 80 for this amp, and I can't imagine that's the reference level. That would be rock-concert levels in my listening space. (Also, the analog hiss when the digital signal is absent would be pretty annoying.)
I'm looking for the master volume "reference level."

berka

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:10 pm

Hi berka,

Have you looked at page 44 in the manual yet on the reference levels and how to adjust it?
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  berka Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:42 pm

Yes I read that page twice. I even quoted it in my initial question.
The page does not tell me at what master volume level I get 0dB (reference level).
That's what I'm asking.
Do I set my master volume to 40 to get reference level? Do I set it to 50? 60?
Thanks,
Berk

berka

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi berka,

The main volume can not be set to the reference level. When you run the Audyssey speaker setup only the following occurs:

When set to 0db
Audyssey Dynamic EQ Reference Level offset

=>0db:

It should be used when listening to movies.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  berka Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:24 pm

I borrowed an SPL meter and answered my own question.
TX-NR509 Master Volume at 66 (out of 80) is "studio reference level" after Audyssey calibration.

Some additional details on method for those who care:
- Perform Audyssey Calibration.
- Configure for Audyssey Movie mode, Audyssey Dynamic EQ off, and Audyssey Dynamic Volume off.
- Go back to "Level Cal" (Manual Page 42) but don't change the Speaker calibration.
- Adjust the master volume until SPL meter reads 75dB, C-weighed, Slow. (As instructed on Page 42.)

(Based on page 42 instructions, I deduced that the receiver generates -30dBFS pink noise for calibration.)

To Double-check:
- Grab a Blu-Ray with calibration noise. (I used Disney/Pixar's Ratatouille)
- In my case, the calibration pink noise was -20dBFS according to the instructions.
- I measured 85dBC SPL, confirming Master Volume at 66 is Reference Level.

berka

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:58 pm

Hi berka,

Thank you for this information but all rooms are not created the same and your rooms acoustics may be different then that of other people. This is a summary from Audyssey by the way.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down