Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR609 Blu-Ray Settings

2 posters

Go down

TX-NR609 Blu-Ray Settings Empty TX-NR609 Blu-Ray Settings

Post  castarner Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:44 am

I'm a newbie and need some help: which settings should I be using to get the best sound from a Blu-Ray source over HDMI 1.4 cable to a 7.1 surround sound setup? Is this a setting that the receiver will automatically change based on the sound format detected on various BD's, or do I need to manually change this each time? Any and all help would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

castarner

Back to top Go down

TX-NR609 Blu-Ray Settings Empty Re: TX-NR609 Blu-Ray Settings

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:31 pm

Hi castarner,

The receiver will pick up the incoming signal and decode it accordingly. Keep in mind that depending on the signal coming in you may or may not get all the various listening modes.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  castarner Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Thank you for your quick response.
I have a Blu-Ray player that will decode all of the latest BD formats, so the signal coming in should be able to be decoded automatically as you say. I do have the Tru HD and DTS formats under Listening Preferences set to Straight Decode. Is that correct? Will the receiver indicate on the front panel if it is processing these sound formats?
Once the signal is being recieved and decoded, is it up to me to designate the speaker output settings (THX, etc) or will this happen automatically as well?
If its a setting that I need to manage, what should I use to get the most realistic and accurate sound?
Thanks again for your continued support.

castarner

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:39 pm

Hi castarner,

DTS-HD and True HD is dependent on the blue ray player being able to bitstream the audio from the player to the receiver. So it is up to the player and how it outputs the audio.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  castarner Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:57 pm

OK, I understand about the settings on the Blu-Ray player, and I can handle that.
I guess my real question is: how will I know, then, that I have those settings properly adjusted AND what do I need to do to the receiver to make sure that the properly decoded signal is being utilized as it was meant to be? What will I see on the receiver display? Which listening mode do most users select on the receiver when connected to a 7.1 speaker system?
Thanks again for your patience with me as I try to learn this new language.

castarner

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:02 pm

Hi castarner,

Once the blue ray is set you do not need to do anything on the receiver as it automatically decode whatever signal is coming in. The listening mode is a personal preference.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  castarner Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:13 pm

..and once I do that, will I see an additional indicator on the front panel of the receiver confirming that I'm processing that codec? Thanks,

castarner

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:23 pm

Hi castarner,

Yes, you will see whatever the receiver is decoding at that moment.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  castarner Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:52 pm

OK, so I'm only seeing PCM displayed and NOT DTS-HD when I'm playing a blu-ray that uses that format.
What does that tell you regarding my 1) receiver settings and 2) blu-ray audio settings? I'm currently working with the BDP manufacturer to get these components talking to each other....HELP!

castarner

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi castarner,

That means that your player is not set to bit stream the information over to the receiver if you are trying to get the DTS-MA or the TRUE-HD codec to appear on the receiver. And it would mean that there is a setting in your player that needs to be set in order for this to happen.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down