Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Watching 3D movies through a TX NR616

5 posters

Go down

Watching 3D movies through a TX NR616 Empty Watching 3D movies through a TX NR616

Post  z3 Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:26 pm

I have just set up my Panasonic 3D BD player, TX NR616 and Panasonic 3D projector. I get sound and picture but the picture states my BD player cannot detect a 3D display device and will not show 3D, only 2d.
To check, I ran each HDMI cable directly between my 3D BD player and 3D projector and the 3D worked fine, so the player, each HDMI cable and projector can show 3D. But when I connect the HDMI cables to the 616 I get the above 'No 3D display device' error. How can I get 3D to work through my 616 - is there a setting I need to know about?
z3

z3

Back to top Go down

Watching 3D movies through a TX NR616 Empty Re: Watching 3D movies through a TX NR616

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:00 pm

Hi z3,

There are no settings on the receiver’s end that you can set as it should just work. Are you up to date on the firmware on the receiver and the projector? How long is the HDMI cable from the receiver to the projector and is high-speed 1.4 certified? Do you have another 3D display device that you could test with?

Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Watching 3D movies through a TX NR616 Empty Re: Watching 3D movies through a TX NR616

Post  z3 Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:33 pm

Hi-
Yes I did expect that 'it should just work'.
Yes the cables are high speed certified.
I do not have any other 3D equipment to try 'swapping out'.
I have updated to the last but one Onkyo firmware update as I am reluctant to try the latest update following the problems reported elsewhere.
But I did connect the BD player and projector directly (without the Onkyo 616 in between) and the 3D worked ok. Naturally there was no sound as the amp was not connected. This would indicate I need to do something with the amp.
I know from your previous reply to one of my queries there is an audio option ' Direct ' which passes the audio signal straight through. Is there an equivalent option for video and would this help?
Thanks
z3

z3

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:55 pm

Hi z3,

What are the model numbers of your Panasonic devices?

Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Watching 3D movies through a TX NR616 Empty partly working

Post  z3 Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi-
Thanks for your input, my units are:-

Panasonic DMP-BDT220 blu-ray player
Panasonic PT-AT5000E projector

I may have resolved the problem. I also have a Toshiba LCD TV (2d only) which was connected to the amp's HDMI output 'Main' with the projector connected to the amp's HDMI output 'Sub'.

I have disconnected the TV from the amp and connected the projector to the amp's HDMI output 'Main' . This has resolved the 3D problem on the projector but is not ideal . I am still trying various configurations to enable use of both the amp's HDMI out - the main reason I bought this brand. I will let you know how I get on, in the meantome if you have further advise I'd be grateful to hear it.
z3

z3

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:59 pm

Hi z3,

This should work both with HDMI main and the Sub outputs as I have just tested it in our lab and it does in fact work.

Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  z3 Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:45 pm

OK thanks I will try putting the projector feed back to 'Sub'.
Have you tried connecting a 3D display to 'Sub' and a 2D display to 'Main' and if it works, what settings do you have?
Thanks
z3

z3

Back to top Go down

Watching 3D movies through a TX NR616 Empty Still can't get 3D unless I reconfigure the 'Monitor Out' settings

Post  z3 Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:18 pm

Hello-
Did you try connecting a 3D display to 'Sub' and a 2D display to 'Main' and if it worked, what settings did you have?

I bought this amp primarily because it has two HDMI outputs, one for my 3D projector and one for my 2D LCD TV. I thought this would get rid of the need for an HDMI splitter/switcher which I had with my previous single HDMI output setup (Onkyo 606).

I use the TV 80% of the time, the projector 20% therefore my TV is fed from the 616’s 'Main' HDMI output and the projector from the 'Sub' output.

I cannot get 3D if I set my output to 'Both' (Resolution defaults to ‘Auto’). I can only get 3D if I set Output to 'Sub' and resolution set to 'Through'. After watching my 3D movie I then need to remember to re-configure the AVR to 'Both' so that I can watch TV again. This is far more difficult and time consuming than my old setup of pressing a single button on the splitter/switcher.

How can I set up this amp so that I use both outputs automatically without having to reconfigure every time I want to watch a 3D movie on the projector?

z3

z3

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:07 pm

Hi Z3,

This works on both the sub and main out as I just tested it our lab which is why there is no need to have a setup function that automatically sets the 3-D output.

Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Watching 3D movies through a TX NR616 Empty Is my unit faulty?

Post  z3 Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:17 pm

OK thanks for replying, - are you saying my unit is faulty?
I cannot get 3D when I set output to 'Both' which is the setting I would like to use (so that I can watch either 2D TV or 3D Projector without resetting the output). It successfully passes 3D signals through 'Sub' to the 3D projector but not when I set output to 'Both'.
Can you confirm if I have a faulty unit?
Thanks
z3

z3

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi z3,

Your unit may or may not be faulty I merely tested the same setup in our lab and it worked on both that main and the sub HDMI out. The only ones that can tell you for sure is an authorized service center but before you do that please explore other options on either the TV/projector or the Blue ray player to see if there are any settings or other functions that could resolve this issue.

Thank you,

Forum Moderator.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Watching 3D movies through a TX NR616 Empty Aren't you trying to do something impossible?

Post  steverobertsbbc Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:46 pm

Z3, I'm not convinced that what you're trying to do can work. If you set the amp's output to 'Both' and you have a 2D display connected to one of the amp's HDMI outputs, then surely the player *must* default back to 2D playback mode in order to service the 2D display. The player cannot output a 2D and a 3D signal at the same time, so if a 2D device is detected it surely has to default to putting out 2D, does it not?

steverobertsbbc

Back to top Go down

Post  claudew Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:47 pm

Hello,
You are certainly right!
I had the same problem, with 2 TVs connected, one 3D ready (on MAIN) and one not (on SUB).
As long as BOTH HDMI monitor outputs are enabled, full size 3D movies aren't allowed, even if the second TV is not connected.
I had to switch the HDMI Monitor output in SETUP to MAIN only to be able to watch 3D blu-rays.
It would of course be nice if 3D could work on one output if the second monitor is just switched off - maybe with a future firmware version.

claudew

Back to top Go down

Watching 3D movies through a TX NR616 Empty 2 TVs

Post  MusicLover Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:47 pm

I only have/had one TV connected to the NR616 via HDMI cable, but being curious

IF two HDMI TVs are hooked up to Onkyo, one to main HDMI output, one to SUB HDMI output :

can two different sources be watched at same time?

MusicLover

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down