Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX nr809 - No Audio after Firmware Update

2 posters

Go down

TX nr809 - No Audio after Firmware Update Empty TX nr809 - No Audio after Firmware Update

Post  willich6 Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:54 pm

I recently purchased a TX nr 809 and 7.1 channel initial set up went smoothly. All input connections from STB and Panasonic BRP are via HDMI; all output to Epson 8350 proj and Tobshiba HD TV are via HDMI; Audessey setup went well and sound was great.. I checked the firmware last weekend and it was an older version. I used the USB method to update the firmware, it took approx 40 min and I got the "Completed!" notice on the receiver. But now there is no audio from any channels.. I went thru the entire set up again; nothing. I tried a reset and then updated again via USB (a different drive); same problem got "Completed!" but no sound..... When I check the firmware version now there are several ?? marks instead of numbers. What happened??

willich6

Back to top Go down

TX nr809 - No Audio after Firmware Update Empty Re: TX nr809 - No Audio after Firmware Update

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi willich6,

I'd like for you to unplug the unit from the power for at least 5 to 10 minutes, after that time has elapsed plug the unit back in then try a reset of the unit. To do the reset you need to turn the receiver on, then on the front panel of the receiver press and hold the "VCR/DVR" button while doing that press the "STANDBY/ON" button. You will see the word "Clear" in the display screen and the receiver will go into standby mode. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR AUDIO & VIDEO ASSIGNMENTS ON THE RECEIVER PLUS YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR SPEAKER CONFIGURATIONS, SPEAKER DISTANCE AND ALL LEVEL CALIBRATION SETTINGS. YOU WILL ALSO LOSE ANY PROGRAMMED RADIO STATIONS IN MEMORY. Once the receiver goes into standby mode turn it back on and go thru the setup menu for all custom settings. Please let me know how this works out.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

TX nr809 - No Audio after Firmware Update Empty TX nr809 - No Audio

Post  willich6 Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:22 pm

I followed your directions; unplugged the unit for 1 hour, reset the unit by pressing VCR and power button - I got 'Clear' on the AVR; I reset all settings in Update, and reloaded the new firmware, again - this time via Network - got 'Completed!' on AVR screen; still no audio from any input, including Tuner - not even static.. From reading other posts on this forum about Audio problems it appears that a bad HDMI Component Board is a fairly common problem, and that this causes the audio problems I am experiencing.. I've got nothing else to try, so I'm going to take it to a Onkyo Service Center; it's under Warranty, I just bought it on 6 Feb.....

willich6

Back to top Go down

TX nr809 - No Audio after Firmware Update Empty Re: TX nr809 - No Audio after Firmware Update

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:45 pm

Hi willich6,

That is what I would suggest. Thank you for choosing Onkyo.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

TX nr809 - No Audio after Firmware Update Empty TX NR809 - No Audio

Post  willich6 Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:36 pm

I followed your suggestions and took my AVR to an authorized Onkyo service facility (ECS in Rockville, Md); They have diagnosed the problem as a bad HDMI board, something that has been reported by a number of others on this site, and have ordered the part. Repair should be complete early next week; so hopefully this will solve the audio problem...
I'll follow up with a final post when I get the AVR back in a week or so...

willich6

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi willich6,
We are glad you were able to send it in for service. Yes, please keep us posted and thank you for choosing Onkyo.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

TX nr809 - No Audio after Firmware Update Empty TX nr 809 - No Audio

Post  willich6 Wed May 02, 2012 10:23 am

I got the 809 back from the Service facility; like most everyone else, it was the HDMI board. They replaced that and I have put it back in operation; everything works for now; we'll see how long it lasts...

willich6

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed May 02, 2012 10:40 am

Hi willich6,
We are glad the unit it was fixed. Thank you for choosing Onkyo.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down