Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Missing Surround Sound with Netflix via TV's Internet (Cat5):

2 posters

Go down

Missing Surround Sound with Netflix via TV's Internet (Cat5): Empty Missing Surround Sound with Netflix via TV's Internet (Cat5):

Post  STR3T Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:09 pm

We just got a Smart set w/ internet jack. Plugged in and get Netflix ok. But sound only comes through the TV's speakers.

Running Netflix thru PS3 gets what I'm pretty sure is only Stereo sound through the home theater (5.1) speakers. Unless we plug a toslink into the PS3 and then into the TV.

Setup: TX-SR508, DTV HD-DVR HR24, PS3 and a Sharp LC-80LE632U LCD.

Just got the set and wall mounted it but I didn't run a toslink thru the wall as I only had a 6 footer...need a 15 footer. But don't want to order this unless truly necessary to get 5.1 sound.

Thanks!

Oh should've stated: we have HD DVR and PS3 going into the Onkyo via HDMI (HDMI "in" 1 and 2 repectively). Then HMDI Out from the Onkyo to the TV's HMDI 1 In.

STR3T

Back to top Go down

Missing Surround Sound with Netflix via TV's Internet (Cat5): Empty Re: Missing Surround Sound with Netflix via TV's Internet (Cat5):

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:56 pm

Hi STR3T,

Unfortunately on this model you will have to run a separate audio cable from the TV back to the receiver. On the newer models they have what they call "ARC" which stands for audio return channel whereby the HDMI cable becomes like a two way street meaning you get audio both ways.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Missing Surround Sound with Netflix via TV's Internet (Cat5): Empty Re: Missing Surround Sound with Netflix via TV's Internet (Cat5):

Post  STR3T Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:01 pm

Thanks...that's what I thought...but looking at the Features for the TX SR-508 (I can't link for 7 days apparently), it says this model does support ARC:

HDMI Version V1.4a (supporting 3D video and Audio Return Channel)

Am I missing something here?

STR3T

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:14 pm

Hi STR3T,

Sorry about that. It does have the ARC function on it. You are not missing anything. This is the feature you will want to enable along with the Audio TV out and RIHD (HDMI control). You will also have to make sure that your TV is set to output audio over the HDMI also; it should automatically switch to TV/CD on the receiver when you want to listen to anything over the ARC.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  STR3T Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:46 pm

Bingo and awesome...got going. Thanks a ton!

STR3T

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:07 am

You're Welcome! Thanks for choosing Onkyo.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down