Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HT-S5400 Component out - problem?

2 posters

Go down

HT-S5400 Component out - problem? Empty HT-S5400 Component out - problem?

Post  wildwoodstock Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:49 pm

I just purchased this HTIB and got it set up. Hooked up everything as stated below. I ended up completely cooking a MOSFET on one satellite receiver and when I thought it may be the problem, I disconnected and hooked up my backup satellite receiver only to have it start cooking also, was able to save it. Prior to this there was no issues with either satellite receiver.

everything else seems to work fine. the sat receiver that has the 'component out' from the sat stb to the 'component in' on the onkyo receiver has the issue..

would this be an issue with the receiver itself sending voltage OUT through the component in ?

for now, I've hooked everything up through my tv inputs and only went out from the tv to the onkyo with an RCA cable to get some illusion of surround until I can get this sorted out.

The user manual has horrible images and even worse descriptions. If everything was HDMI it would be all good. Some of us have several different types of inputs at this point however.

wildwoodstock

Back to top Go down

HT-S5400 Component out - problem? Empty Re: HT-S5400 Component out - problem?

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:18 pm

Hi wildwoodstock,
I have an associate looking into this for you and will get back to you, thank you for your patience.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wildwoodstock Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:47 pm

thank you for the quick response.

just so I am clear that I did initially hook this up correctly.

I have

1 sat receiver going to component video in
1 sat receiver going to composite audio/video in
1 wii going to composite audio/video in
1 bluray player to HDMI 1 in

one HDMI out to TV
one composite (rca) video out to TV

the out on the Onkyo are the cross hatched banks

wildwoodstock

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:26 pm

Hi wildwoodstock,

Unfortunately on this receiver it does not do any video up conversion (you can not go in composite and go out HDMI) So what goes in one way will have to go out the same way. This information is on page 54 of the owner's manual under the "video connection formats". Also is the receiver well ventilated as there should be at least 8 inches above it and at least 4 inches on the sides and back as also stated in the manual on page 2 under bullet point 18.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  wildwoodstock Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:38 pm

I am not looking to up convert.

You'll see from my updated post that I am using HDMI in for blu-ray player which, requires me to use HDMI out. Otherwise using composite video out only would be downscale. As stated on page 15 of the owners manual, I am using component in and out to run the one satellite receiver, which is bank 5 according to the owners manual.

Sorry, I missed the line that I was using component out to as well as the HDMI and composite. My mistake.

the Onkyo receiver is in a cabinet however there are 4" of clearance on either side and at least 15" above.

Keep in mind that this occurred within 10min of being powered on, on both accounts. I would not attribute it to being a heat issue.

Once the Onkyo is taken out of the equation, as I stated, the satellite receiver runs fine and does not overheat.

wildwoodstock

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi wildwoodstock,

Here is what I'd like for you to try, please disconnect everything from the receiver and do a factory reset. To do the reset you need to turn the receiver on, then on the front panel of the receiver press and hold the "VCR/DVR" button while doing that press the "STANDBY/ON" button. You will see the word "Clear" in the display screen and the receiver will go into standby mode. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR AUDIO & VIDEO ASSIGNMENTS ON THE RECEIVER PLUS YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR SPEAKER CONFIGURATIONS, SPEAKER DISTANCE AND ALL LEVEL CALIBRATION SETTINGS. YOU WILL ALSO LOSE ANY PROGRAMMED RADIO STATIONS IN MEMORY. Once the receiver goes into standby mode turn the unit back on and only setup your satellite receiver to the components in and take the component cables out to your TV without anything else connected as a test. See if this works, if it does not resolve your issue then depending on when the unit was purchased and your dealers exchange period I would suggest taking it back. If you are outside your exchange period then please go to our website and locate an authorized service center to have service technician look into this further for you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  wildwoodstock Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:01 pm

thank you. I will try this when home this evening and update the thread with the results.

wildwoodstock

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:10 pm

Hi wildwoodstock,

Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  wildwoodstock Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:57 pm

sorry for the delay in followup. I decided to eliminate another possible factor. the cables. I had to await their arrival.

I purchased ALL new cabling and replaced everything. I did as you had mentioned and started with only the stb and Onkyo receiver with new cables. success. no more heating up the satellite stb and everything works as it should. continued one by one and all is once again connected and running perfectly. sounds great. just need to re-calibrate with the audyssey mic and I'm all set. cheers

wildwoodstock

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:18 am

Hi wildwoodstock,
That's great! Glad we could help and we hope you enjoy your unit. Have a great day Smile
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down