Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR509 - Problem playing DVDs via Component to Projector (tho Blu-rays work ok!)

2 posters

Go down

TX-NR509 - Problem playing DVDs via Component to Projector (tho Blu-rays work ok!) Empty TX-NR509 - Problem playing DVDs via Component to Projector (tho Blu-rays work ok!)

Post  gardavis Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:56 pm

I have two video outputs I am trying to get working, HDMI (to HDTV) and Component (to Infocus X1 projector). I am aware that the receiver does not do any video conversion.

I have two inputs I am working with, the Tivo and a Samsung Blu-ray. Both connected to the receiver with both HDMI and component so I can view either on the TV or the projector (not both at the same time, however).

The Tivo works fine on either output.

The Blu-ray player works to the TV but going to the projector is a problem for some things and that is the part I am trying to get working. This configuration worked on my previous receiver (a JVC).

This is what does not work: Playing a DVD video, the projector does not see the signal. It sees the signal for the Samsung’s startup but as soon as it tries to play the disc, it loses the video. Here’s two interesting clues: If I play a Blu-ray instead of a DVD, it works fine. If I pull the HDMI cable from the Samsung (leaving just the component cable), the DVD will be seen by the projector.

I just did a network firmware update for the receiver but no difference (I forgot to see what the initial version number was to see if it really changed).

I don’t see any setup settings that would help. Am I out of luck with this? It seems like it should work.

Here’s one thought but would cost a bit: split the HDMI out and convert one of them to component (splitter + converter; about $40 each). I am not sure this would work; seems like it should. I would then be able to remove the component cables from the Tivo and Samsung to the receiver.

Thanks,
Gary Davis
Webguild.com
[img][/img]

gardavis

Back to top Go down

TX-NR509 - Problem playing DVDs via Component to Projector (tho Blu-rays work ok!) Empty Re: TX-NR509 - Problem playing DVDs via Component to Projector (tho Blu-rays work ok!)

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:27 am

Hi Gary,
We are looking into this and will get back to you soon, thank you!
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

TX-NR509 - Problem playing DVDs via Component to Projector (tho Blu-rays work ok!) Empty Re: TX-NR509 - Problem playing DVDs via Component to Projector (tho Blu-rays work ok!)

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:45 pm

Hi Gary,
Unfortunately, none of our units down convert which is part of whta you are trying to do. Also, on some blu-ray players the connections can only be either or, please keep in mind that on our receivers HDMI takes president over any other input when connected and unfortunately, the splitter idea may not work in this case. Thank you for contacting Onkyo via our forum.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gardavis Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:14 pm

Thanks.

I thought I had a bright idea to have the Samsung connect the HDMI cable to the BD/DVD and the component cable to AUX but it still would not play a DVD to the projector unless I pulled the HDMI cable, even when on AUX.

Why don't you think splitting the HDMI receiver output would work with a separate converter (HDMI to component) device?

What about if I get a new projector with an HDMI input? Would a splitter work in that case (no converter needed)?

At this point, the worst case is if I want to view a DVD on the projector, I have to pull the HDMI cable from the receiver.

Thanks again,
Gary Davis

gardavis

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:39 am

Hi Gary,
I have an assocaite looking into this and will get back to you asap. Thank you for your patience.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gardavis Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:45 am

Thanks. I certainly appreciate the good customer support (this is my first Onkyo product).

I await your response.

Gary

gardavis

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:47 pm

Hi Gary,
Unfortunately, the HDMI output was not designed to be split. The splitter idea will work provided you do not run into HDCP issues inherent with splitters and hdmi connections. For more information please visit hdmi.org, thank you!
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down