Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR809....picture flickers

4 posters

Go down

TX-NR809....picture flickers Empty TX-NR809....picture flickers

Post  libsong Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:39 pm

The picture flickers every 5 minutes or so. The TV screen goes green then blank and then the picture comes back. I know it's not the Blu-ray player becuse I went and bought a new one. It's not the TV either becasue it doesn't flicher when watching regulat TV show from Directv. I have good quality HDMI cables from the Blu-ray player to the receiver and to TV. I played with the HDMI setup but to no avail, it didn't help. Anyone has the same problem and been resolve. Please help. By the way, this is the second receiver, the first one I exchange due to the same problem. And I'm abut to exchange this one again.

libsong

Back to top Go down

TX-NR809....picture flickers Empty Re: TX-NR809....picture flickers

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:55 pm

Hi libsong,

In order to assist you further we would need to know what model blue ray you are connecting as well as the make and model of the TV also the length of the HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV and if the cable is going through any other devices such as baluns or cat5 cables.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  libsong Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:29 pm

Blu-ray player: Samsung BD-C6500
TV: LG 55LE5500

Connection 1: From Samsung blu-ray to Onkyo TX-NR809: 4 ft high speed HDMI cable, connected to HDMI1 in receiver
Connection 2: From TX-NR809 to LG TV: 6 feet high speed HDMI cable, connected to main HDMI out

No other connedted device. Wired network connection.

libsong

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:31 am

Hi libsong,
I have an associate looking into this for you and will get back to you soon, thank you for your patience.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:46 pm

Hi libsong,
Thank you for your patience. Please make sure that your HDMI cables you are using are highspeed 1080p cables. Since this is your second unit it has to be something other then the receiver causing the issue. We looked into the owner's manual for your TV and noticed that is said on page 173 that you will get flickering or no screen display. Perhaps you can look into that a little further as well. Please keep us posted. If these suggestions do not work we will continue to troubleshoot the situation for you, thank you again for your patience.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  td854 Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:48 pm

I don't know what the gear inside the 809 is but my previous 609 HDMI board was overheating and causing the same issue. I got it exchanged and put a cooling system on it and haven't had the problem since. The 809 seems to have 2 cooling fans from images I've seen though so it shouldn't have any issues unless there isn't proper ventilation. I should mention though that judging from the images of the internals I've seen the fans are only for cooling the power system and not the HDMI board which is on the opposite side of the unit.

td854

Back to top Go down

Post  libsong Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:12 pm

I called the support hotline today. I did all what they told me to do.

1. Disconnect the cat5 and try again. Still flickers
2. Connect the blu-ray player directly into the TV. Maybe the TV is bad or HDMI is not fast enough. It did not flicker not even once. TV is good. HDMI speed is good.

Just to make sure I have all the latest equipment to drive this Onkyo to work, I went and bought me a new blu-ray player and new HDMI cables today

1. Blu-ray model: LG BD670
2. HDMI cables: 4 feet Monster HD1000 ultra high speed (two of each) one for the blu-ray in to receiver and one for the receiver to TV

Still no good. Picture still flickers like crazy. I'm about to return the Receiver to Fry's electronics. Unless you come up with something that will solve the problem

FYI. My Onkyo 805 still works great. I was going to give it away, but now I have to keep it just in case.

Thanks for your help

libsong

Back to top Go down

Post  libsong Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:19 pm

Thanks td854. Maybe that is exactly the problem. I was reading some reviews at amazon.com and if my memory serves me right, someone had mention about the HDMI over heating or something like that.
Somebody also had mention about the picture quality was very bad and it flickers a lot.

I like this receiver over my 805. It sounds great and the picture quality is great. If this thing only works properly it is a very good receiver.

libsong

Back to top Go down

TX-NR809....picture flickers Empty My TV flickers as well when hooked up to a blu-ray player. aaarrrrrrrrggg

Post  Zanadu666 Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:47 pm

I purchased my tx-nr809 last month and hooked it up to my playstation 3 to play games and watch DVD videos. Picture flickered like mad. Called support and was told it must be a problem with my playstation3. I just bought a brand new Samsung blu-ray player and still have the exact same problem. When either my playstation3 or Samsung blu-ray player is connected directly to the TV (LG-47" HD) there is no flicker. But when I connect through the Onkyo receiver, voila ....FLICKER city. Every device I own is HDMI (cablebox, playstation, blu-ray player). Cablebox displays with no problem, just the devices that support Blu-ray.

Zanadu666

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:27 pm

Hi libsong and Zanadu666,

Apologies for the inconvenience you are both having. What I'd like for both of you to try is set output resolution of the TX-NR809 to 1080i as a test and see if the picture still flickers. Please let me know if this works?
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zanadu666 Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:23 pm

The only setting on the Onkyo receiver that stops the flickering is 1080p /24. But then the image on the TV looks slightly choppy, like it is dropping frames. In particular when there is a lot of motion on the screen.. Limited motion on the screen looks fine.

Zanadu666

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:43 pm

Hi Zanadu666,

I will need to know what make and model TV you have also the make and model of the blue ray player you have including how they are all connected as well as the cable lengths. This will help me in determining what your issues are and how best to resolve them.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

TX-NR809....picture flickers Empty Resolved

Post  Zanadu666 Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:24 pm

I own an LG47" HDTV. It has 4 HDMI inputs. 3 on the back in a bank and 1 on the side. I plugged my monitor out HDMI cable from my Onkyo tx-nr809 to each of the 3 HDMI ins along the bank of 3 inputs on the LG TV. Each attempt produced image flicker unless I set the Onkyo receiver to 1080p /24. However, when I plugged the monitor-out HDMI cable to the side of the LG TV I was able to use the image setting "Auto" on the Onkyo and produced no flicker. I don't know why this resolved the issue, but don't really care at this point. I know it reads like there must be something wrong with my LG TV HDMI inputs, but when I hook up my Yamaha 6190b surround receiver to the very same bank of HDMI inputs on the LG TV using the "Auto" and "1080p" settings there is no flicker and it produces a great high def image.

Zanadu666

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:15 pm

Hi Zanadu666,

What is the exact model number of the LG TV as there are many 47inch tv's out there.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Zanadu666 Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:58 pm

It is an LG 47LG70 LCD TV.

Zanadu666

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content