Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HT-RC180 Audio & Video problems

3 posters

Go down

HT-RC180 Audio & Video problems Empty HT-RC180 Audio & Video problems

Post  redwingz Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:48 pm

Hello,

Been using a HT-RC180 for the past 24-26 month happily, but recently started some problems, after moving from a 5.1 to a 7.1 setup (probably coincidental).

Primaryly use HDMI for all input and output to a projector. All a sudden, problem first stated with getting no audio out to any of the speakers, just was getting video out to the projector (via HDMI). The last couple of days, the HDMI video out all a sudden quit and the audio "sometimes" comes back if I do a reset (vcr/dvd+standby method) - this is a hit of miss with the audio coming back once in a while (have audio when the speaker icons come back), the video never comes back!

Pretty sure I was up to date on the firmware (Oct 2010?) and cannot try reloading the firmware since I do not get that menu option(via receiver anymore).... I may be SoL with the receiver being about 25-26 months old and being out of warranty.

Suggestions or thoughts? extremely frustrating... finally got to a 7.1 setup with a projectorand boom!, the receiver give way.

redwingz

Back to top Go down

HT-RC180 Audio & Video problems Empty Re: HT-RC180 Audio & Video problems

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi redwingz,

I noticed you did not mention anything about using new or different HDMI cables, if you have not I would give that a try. If you have and it is still doing the same thing then unfortunately the receiver will need to be further evaluated by a service center. You may go to our website at www.onkyousa.com for an authorized one.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

HT-RC180 Audio & Video problems Empty HT-RC180 Audio & Video problems

Post  redwingz Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:37 am

UPDATE (FYI since another user Pvt msg with the same problem)

Hi Rambusorg,

Sorry to hear the problem. Your issues are EXACTLY like what i experienced. My ht-rc180 was about 24 and half month only but called Onkyo anywayl. They said the standard warranty period was 24 months, but there is a GRACE period of 45 days from the end of the warranty period. Luckily, there is a 3rd party Onkyo Service center about 1/2 hour from where I live so rushed it over there. Turned it over a month ago and still waiting for it to be fixed - issue is a bad HDMI board. They are waiting for the part from Onkyo and will not ship until the end of the month, so if that happens, it would have been in the shop for about 2 months!!! - thanks Onkyo!

I did a lot of googleing around and the common sentiment is that on these Onkyo receivers, the HDMI boards are starting to go bad in the 18-24 month range; there are some bad (china made / sub-standard) capacitors that start to fail, hence the issues. I dont know if that is the exact issue with mine, but seems awfully close. If Onkyo hot line gives you issues and cannot get it serviced and are adventerous or know someone that can do someboard level repairs, there are videos on youtube that talk about replacing the capacitors (radio shack may cost $10).

Give Onkyo a call - have your system serial number ready and tell will want to know where you purchased it from - they will be looking for an authorized seller. If you get to have it serviced, you will need a copy of the invoice / receipt when you purchase it.

For now, I have bought my LAST Onkyo product - I was a strong advocate of Onkyo and had owned some form or Onkyou for 16 years, but not anymore. With the receiver in the shop for 2 months, I went out and purchased a Pioneer vsx-1021 (for $300 @ N3wegg). I'll redeploy the ht-rc180 elsewhere in the house - dont know yet, or I might just flip it on flea-bay.

Good luck with your system - mine worked great while it lasted Sad & Grrrrr
---- end of msg ----

redwingz

Back to top Go down

Post  MidTennesseeAudio Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:12 pm

I have the same problem with my receiver 2 years old TX-NR807... The response from Onkyo, send the device to an authorized service center (and spend another $500). I was a loyal Onkyo customer for 15 years, apparently Onkyo doesn't need any more customers of highend hometheather equipment.

MidTennesseeAudio

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi forum users,

Please contact our parts and service department at 201-785-2600 option #4 to see if they can accommodate you further in servicing your unit.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MidTennesseeAudio Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:05 pm

I contacted Onkyo support and they are working with me to resolve my problems - Thank You.

MidTennesseeAudio

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi MidTennesseeAudio,

We are glad we could be of assistance.. Thank you for choosing Onkyo.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down