Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DVD movie dialogue sounds muddy on HT-R320

2 posters

Go down

DVD movie dialogue sounds muddy on HT-R320 Empty DVD movie dialogue sounds muddy on HT-R320

Post  elkabong Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:32 pm

DVD movie dialogue sounds muddy on my HT-R320 AV Receiver. How can I tweak the audio settings, to reduce the muddiness and enhance the dialogue?

elkabong

Back to top Go down

DVD movie dialogue sounds muddy on HT-R320 Empty Re: DVD movie dialogue sounds muddy on HT-R320

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:05 pm

How are you connecting your DVD player onto the receiver for audio connection- Digital Optical, Digital Coaxial, RCA Analog or RCA Multi-Channel RCA audio cables? Is the proper digital audio input selection enabled (did you press the DIGITAL INPUT button on the front panel of the receiver to indicate the proper audio input configuration)? Have you also pressed the AUDIO SELECTOR button on the front panel of the receiver? Pressing the AUDIO SELECTOR button provides the following options: AUTO--> MULTICH --> ANALOG. If using a DIGITAL audio connection- select AUTO. If using MULTICHANNEL RCA audio connection- select MULTICH. If using a ANALOG connection- select ANALOG.

In regards to adjustment of the audio settings; press the SPEAKER ADJUST and/ or the AUDIO ADJUST button on the front panel of the receiver repeatedly to toggle thru the options to adjust the audio settings of the receiver under the specified input. If you are still experiencing the same issue(s), Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (Monday- Sunday 24 hours a day EST: (800) 229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator

OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

DVD movie dialogue sounds muddy on HT-R320 Empty Re: DVD movie dialogue sounds muddy on HT-R320

Post  elkabong Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:19 pm

I use coaxial to connect the DVD player to the AV Receiver. I'm using a center speaker and the two front speaker. I am not using rear speakers or subwoofer.

Some things that have helped: I have used the ADJUST button to minimize low frequency and maximize high frequency sounds. I also turned SUBWOOFER to OFF. On the DVD movie menu, I chose STEREO instead of SURROUND. All those steps improved dialogue intelligibility, somewhat.

I have yet to experiment with settings like LATE NIGHT, DIMENSION, CINEMA FILTER, PANORAMA or CENTER WIDTH.

In general I find that the Onkyo AV Receiver makes music sound fuller, but causes muddy dialogue. Conversely, the native speakers of my television (Panasonic Viera) do a much better job with dialogue, but cause music to sound tinny and flat.

elkabong

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down