Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR717 Persistent DNS error during firmware update - workaround

2 posters

Go down

TX-NR717 Persistent DNS error during firmware update - workaround Empty TX-NR717 Persistent DNS error during firmware update - workaround

Post  cageordie Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:31 pm

Short version: if the net based firmware update fails use the USB method.

I don't need help, though I did run in to a problem last night. After hooking up and switching on my brand new (delivered by UPS at 7pm yesterday) 717 I ran through the calibration and installation. I only hooked up the Blu-Ray player and the network because I wanted to get it working before going to bed. I thought I'd have time to watch a movie before I went to bed.

After confirming the Blu-Ray connection the next thing I remember was it telling me there was a firmware update available. OK, why not, it's once in a while and as a software engineer I hate it when people complain about problems we already fixed in an update they won't apply.

Download took a few minutes then the installation started, "writing VSP". Well OK. I played solitaire and waited. I looked up at 90%... nearly there. A couple more games and... "DNS error". WHAT???!! I have half a dozen computers and other networked devices all using that same router and everything was working.

And there it sat, doing nothing. I let it sit for half an hour. Still nothing. I checked the connections, just in case the cats ate them or something. Nope, still fine. OK, well this could be my shortest ownership of anything. The remote did absolutely nothing so my final options were power switch, power cord and back in the box. The power switch worked and the 717 came back on. But not on the TV. The video output was shot. Well that's just great.

After a little poking around I managed to get back to software update, but now just via the front panel. OK, try again. An hour later I was looking at "DNS error" and feeling irritated.

But wasn't there a USB option? I downloaded the file from the Onkyo web site (why does the zip file contain two sets of identically named files, one dated in June and the other in July 2012?) and copied the later dated set of files on to a newly formatted Kingston 8GB USB stick. Power cycled the 717 again, poked around and got the USB update. Great. Set it going and went to bed.

This morning the front panel said "Complete". OK, great. Power cycle again.

This time the HDMI was back on line. Great. The TV lit up with Onkyo! Brilliant. So when I get home tonight I'll repeat all the calibration, I was back to choosing a language.

I was responsible for and wrote the firmware update process for Motorola wireless switches and several other products. This does not seem to be a well thrashed out update system. The software release folks also need to stop putting duplicate or slightly different copies of software in their zip files without a README or some basic instructions. Come on folks, you can do better than this.

cageordie

Back to top Go down

TX-NR717 Persistent DNS error during firmware update - workaround Empty Re: TX-NR717 Persistent DNS error during firmware update - workaround

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:03 pm

Glad to read this has been resolved by our regional service center. If you have any more questions or concerns , Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (Monday- Friday 9am to 8pm EST/ Saturday- Sunday 10am to 4pm EST: (800) 229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down