TX-NR509 jittering playing mp3's via dlna

View previous topic View next topic Go down

TX-NR509 jittering playing mp3's via dlna

Post  bobtooke on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:42 pm

Hi, I've had a good look through the archives and cannot find an answer to this one...

I've had my Onyo TX-NR509 for around 6 months and its worked great previously. I'm often playing around with settings so possibly I've messed something up. Here goes with the problem.

I have a TX-NR509 fitted with an Onkyo UWF-1 wifi dongle. It connects to my home network through a Cisco E4200V1 router/NAS server. Into the Router is connected a USB HDD which contains all of my music and movies. I can connect to the router/server normally using my PC, laptop, touchpad or my iphone. Using these I can browse the remote HDD and play any music, movies (inc HD) or photos I want to. I can also browse the server using my Sony BDPS580 bluray player using the DLNA service and so can stream all my movies, music and photos directly onto my TV in the living room using the BDP.

However, I cannot seem to stream my mp3's via my Onkyo TX-NR509. No matter how I try it, the mp3's judder, skip and jump. It's the same for any m4a files too. Any other audio source seems to be fine and plays perfectly. Likewise, I can browse and stream internet radio stations fine, the music is crisp and plays smooth.

As a couple of experiments I tried the following:
1. Putting the same mp3 files from the server onto a USB memory stick and inserting this into the Onkyo TX-NR509 - these play fine.
2. Removing the UWF-1 dongle and connecting to the home server via an ethernet connection using a wifi bridge - the mp3 jitter problem is still there.
3. Copying some my mp3 files to my PC then setting up a software based DLNA server (TVersity Media Server) - exactly the same, the music jitters and jumps.

The bottom line is, I just can't seem to stream music through my receiver over my home network. One of the reasons I bought the Onkyo and dongle over cheaper units is because I wanted to be able to stream my music without having any other of my devices on (TV, BD etc) but I can't seem to be able to do this now.

Any ideas which if any settings I may have to change? Is it likely to be a hardware fault? It seems particularly strange that it will play OK direct from USB stick but not network when same files play OK on other devices via the network. I'm pulling my hair out trying to work through this problem!

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. Sad

bobtooke

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: TX-NR509 jittering playing mp3's via dlna

Post  OnkyoUSA on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:30 pm

Unfortunately; DLNA audio streaming is only available via Windows Media Player and may NOT be supported via TVersity Media server. It may also be an issue with the format of the music file that conflicts with streaming via the receiver and cause these issues. In regards to your issue- it would possibly be more effective to contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation below. We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue, with you having access to your unit, as prompt as possible. Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (Monday- Sunday 24 hours a day: (800) 229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
Admin

View user profile http://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bobtooke on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:52 pm

You seem to have contradicted your own comment on this...
"Unfortunately; DLNA audio streaming is only available via Windows Media Player "

The DLNA is an organization established by Sony that is responsible for defining interoperability guidelines to enable sharing of digital media. The guidelines are built upon published standards. DLNA uses Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) for media management, discovery and control. UPnP defines the type of device that DLNA supports ("server", "renderer", "controller") and the mechanisms for accessing media over a network. DLNA certifies devices to these standards and then allows them to display the DLNA logo to show they are compliant to communicate with all other DLNA devices. Currently there are over 9000 devices that are DLNA certified and inter-operable displaying the DLNA logo. I thought that the Onkyo TX-NR509 was one of these DLNA compliant devices since it is certified and displays the DLNA logo.

So either...
A. The Onkyo device is DLNA certified and is compatible with all other devices.
Or...
B. It is not DLNA compliant and should not be displaying the DLNA logo or marketed as such.

Which of these options is it?

bobtooke

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:59 pm

As stated in the manual of the receiver, page 64-65:

"■Server playback
The AV receiver can play digital music files stored on a
computer or media server and supports the following
technologies:
• Windows Media Player 11
• Windows Media Player 12
• Windows Media Connect 2.0
• DLNA-certified media server
If the operating system of your computer is Windows
Vista, Windows Media Player 11 is already installed.
Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP can be
downloaded for free from the Microsoft web site.
• The computer or media server must be on the same
network as the AV receiver.
• Each folder may contain up to 20000 music files, and
folders may be nested up to 16 levels deep.
Note
• Depending on the media server, the AV receiver may not
recognize it, or may not be able to play its music files.

The issue may be that TVersity may NOT be supported for DLNA playback, unlike the supported WMP server.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bobtooke on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:18 am

So it seems your previous post was mistaken then, it isn't only Windows Media servers that will work. It IS supposed to be DLNA compliant as I suspected.

Maybe Tversity has not yet been certified (pending) but my own Cisco server running Twonky is certified so clearly, DLNA compatibility of other devices on the network is not the issue. Besides which, it used to work fine but only recently started the problem. On consideration, it seems to be after a recent firmware update.

The conjecture over DLNA is irrelevant, I have tried various methods of connecting and the fact I am stuck with is that my Onkyo doesn't stream mp3's as it should do and no-one seems to have any suggestions.

bobtooke

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA on Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:20 pm

Upon testing here; our receivers are able to stream audio via DLNA using Windows Media Player 11 and 12. These are the Media players that we have supported and was advising you of the same. We can't advise full support of TVersity as your DLNA media server/player. Try using WMP for DLNA streaming onto the TX-NR 515, as suggested.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bobtooke on Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:37 pm

But I'm not using TVersity nor do I want to use TVersity.

Until I had this problem, I hadn't even tried TVersity.

I don't quite understand why TVersity is even being discussed or what the pre-occupation with that software is all about.

I only made mention of TVersity because I tried it to see if it did anything different to what I WAS trying to use which is my Cisco NAS/DLNA media streamer. This uses Twonky firmware which IS DLNA certified and a very commonly used media streamer that works perfectly with all my other DLNA devices (please read the original post where I explained all of this). It also used to work perfectly with the Onkyo unit until fairly recently - this is a recent problem (please read the previous posts).

Just so as anyone can be convinced, I have now tried sharing media using Windows media player 12 on my PC running Windows 7 Pro and get exactly the same issue sharing library media files.

What I'm really looking for is sensible suggestions about what the problem could be rather then conjecture about incompatible and irrelevant software which is nothing to do with my setup.

bobtooke

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA on Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:22 pm

In regards to your issue- it would possibly be more effective to contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation below. We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue, with you having access to your unit, as prompt as possible. Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (Monday- Sunday 24 hours a day: (800) 229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top