Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When Off the NR609 Draws 35 Watts

2 posters

Go down

When Off the NR609 Draws 35 Watts Empty When Off the NR609 Draws 35 Watts

Post  Slardybardfast Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:00 pm

I started noticing that the top of the cabinet is warm when I first turn it on. The specifications indicate that the the unit draws less than a watt when off. The cabinet top is as warm as when it is on but idiling. So I checked the power draw. When off, the NR609 draws 35 watts. This is not right. Help, anyone?

Slardybardfast

Back to top Go down

When Off the NR609 Draws 35 Watts Empty Re: When Off the NR609 Draws 35 Watts

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:19 pm

Questions: is ZONE 2 in use (do you see a Z2 icon of the front display of the receiver while its on STANDBY)? Also- is HDMI THRU or AUDIO RETURN CHANNEL enabled on the receiver? Lastly; is the NET button illuminated while the receiver is on STANDBY (have you enabled NETWORK CONTROL in the SETUP> HARDWARE SETUP> NETWORK submenu)? These options allow minimum power consumption while the receiver is on STANDBY.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Slardybardfast Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:12 pm

[quote="OnkyoUSA"]Questions: is ZONE 2 in use (do you see a Z2 icon of the front display of the receiver while its on STANDBY)? Also- is HDMI THRU or AUDIO RETURN CHANNEL enabled on the receiver? Lastly; is the NET button illuminated while the receiver is on STANDBY (have you enabled NETWORK CONTROL in the SETUP> HARDWARE SETUP> NETWORK submenu)? These options allow minimum power consumption while the receiver is on STANDBY.

Thanks for your quick response.

I checked a few things and apparently, with "HDMI THRU" on, the NR609 draws 32 Watts of power.
Is 32 watts normal? This keeps the unit quite warm even though it is open to the air.

Thanks

Slardybardfast

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:14 pm

Actually; yes as the unit is still consuming miminal power to drive the audio and video signals thru the receiver while on STANDBY.

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

When Off the NR609 Draws 35 Watts Empty Good Job Onkyo!

Post  Slardybardfast Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:05 am

OnkyoUSA wrote:Actually; yes as the unit is still consuming miminal power to drive the audio and video signals thru the receiver while on STANDBY.

Forum Moderator

Thanks for alleviating my concerns with such a prompt response.

Good Job Onkyo!

Slardybardfast

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:33 pm

No problem. If you need any further assistance; please contact us via phone, email, or via our Onkyo Forum at https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com/f1-welcome-to-the-onkyo-forum.

Best Regards;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

When Off the NR609 Draws 35 Watts Empty NOW NO HDMI OUTPUT FROM NR609

Post  Slardybardfast Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:58 pm

After successfully understanding why the NR609 draws power in STANDBY mode, when I turned my system on today there is no signal from the HDMI output of the receiver. I reset everything to the way it was before I embarked on the investigation of the power-draw issue, but some thinks have changed. Despite turning ARC and NET CONTROL to the "ON" position, neither of those functions show up on the screen display on the front of the receiver when the receiver is turned off. I have gone back and verified that both items are in the "ON" position, but there is no ARC or NET indicators on the front display. This is different from when I began my investigations yesterday.

I also tried the RIHD function in both the ON and OFF positions.

I have bypassed the receiver to verify that I do have outputs from my sources and that the TV input is working.

Comments please.

Slardybardfast

Back to top Go down

When Off the NR609 Draws 35 Watts Empty REMOVING PLUG FROM WALL SOCKET AND REINSTALLING CURED PROBLEM

Post  Slardybardfast Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:18 pm

While waiting for comments on the above post, I was reading other posts on issues with NO HDMI OUTPUT and read that interrupting the AC power can cure my issue. It did. I now have output from my NR609!!!!

Slardybardfast

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Glad to read by doing a SOFT reset; you were able to resolve your issue. If you have any more questions or concerns , Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation below. We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Best Regards;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down