Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR818 HDMI passthrough not working; no audio

5 posters

Go down

TX-NR818 HDMI passthrough not working; no audio Empty TX-NR818 HDMI passthrough not working; no audio

Post  lastyear4gt Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:03 am

Well, this started out with a problem not getting audio just video via the TV when the unit was in standby. I could get sound if the receiver was on and the "Audio TV OUT" was selected. I called yesterday and was told to do the latest firmware update dated July 24, 2012 Firmware # 1100-7101-0100-0000. Did not fix the problem. As I sat here researching the problem, my wife changed the channel and now all sound is gone, weather in standby or receiver on despite the "TV SPEAKERS" message on the receiver being displayed. Powered off/on several times, as well as PVR box, hard reset both, and even unplugged both. Now there is absolutely no audio.

This seems to be a problem with a number of the new 2012 receivers, nr818 or otherwise. Unless I get a suggestion to this problem, Im gonna return the receiver and maybe try one more. If I have the same problem and I have to return it again, I'll be looking to another brand.

Any help is appreciated!

lastyear4gt

Back to top Go down

TX-NR818 HDMI passthrough not working; no audio Empty Re: TX-NR818 HDMI passthrough not working; no audio

Post  sylvestermcmonkey Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Try another HDMI cable. Although this did not work for me, a bad cable could explain your problem.

sylvestermcmonkey

Back to top Go down

TX-NR818 HDMI passthrough not working; no audio Empty Re: TX-NR818 HDMI passthrough not working; no audio

Post  lastyear4gt Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:54 pm

You're correct. A bad cable could explain the current no audio situation, although it wouldn't explain the audio in standby passthrough issue. I'll try it anyways. Failing this, I'll probably return this for another receiver I was talked out of seeing as all the talks here don't fill me with confidence that another receiver will be the answer.

lastyear4gt

Back to top Go down

Post  sylvestermcmonkey Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:10 pm

For what it's worth I'm going to try a replacement 818. I ought to receive it Tuesday. I'll let you know if the problem occurs with the replacement, however, since it occurs so rarely it may be a month or more until I am confident it's really fixed.

sylvestermcmonkey

Back to top Go down

Post  lastyear4gt Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:09 am

I'll save you the excitement, it doesn't matter. I went and exchanged my receiver today, brought it home did all the set-up and low and behold, no audio passthrough in standby. Switched cables and even sources from satellite to ps3, no dice. To top that off, I had the receiver cut out 5 times during a bluray movie last night. The relay would click, it'd lose sound for a minute and the Dolby indicator and speakers would dissapear, with a corresponding flash of the video. I'm gonna do the latest firmware update tomorrow. I don't really expect it to change anything as it didn't with the other receiver either, but if it doesn't it's going back for a refund and I'll look at something else.

This is very dissapointing. This is my first non "HTIB" system and my first dealing with onkyo and it hasn't impressed me at all. I LOVE this receiver, the sound is amazing but I will not get stuck with a unit that will spend more time in the shop than my home theater.

lastyear4gt

Back to top Go down

Post  salisburyclan Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:34 am

lastyear4gt wrote:I'll save you the excitement, it doesn't matter. I went and exchanged my receiver today, brought it home did all the set-up and low and behold, no audio passthrough in standby. Switched cables and even sources from satellite to ps3, no dice. To top that off, I had the receiver cut out 5 times during a bluray movie last night. The relay would click, it'd lose sound for a minute and the Dolby indicator and speakers would dissapear, with a corresponding flash of the video. I'm gonna do the latest firmware update tomorrow. I don't really expect it to change anything as it didn't with the other receiver either, but if it doesn't it's going back for a refund and I'll look at something else.

This is very dissapointing. This is my first non "HTIB" system and my first dealing with onkyo and it hasn't impressed me at all. I LOVE this receiver, the sound is amazing but I will not get stuck with a unit that will spend more time in the shop than my home theater.

That is my exact same problem!!! Onkyo Support had me to a hard reset. I had to set everything back up fresh. I still have the same problem, and I do have all the latest firmwares installed. I am exchanging this unit with Amazon. I'll give them one more shot and then I'm done with this model.

salisburyclan

Back to top Go down

Post  sylvestermcmonkey Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:09 am

lastyear4gt wrote:... To top that off, I had the receiver cut out 5 times during a bluray movie last night. The relay would click, it'd lose sound for a minute and the Dolby indicator and speakers would dissapear, with a corresponding flash of the video.
Did the display indicate "no signal" when that happened? That's what mine did.

sylvestermcmonkey

Back to top Go down

Post  lastyear4gt Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:00 am

No it just loses audio, the display on the reciever kicks out of Dolby hd and the picture skips a few frames, but I never fully loses video. I'm gonna mess around a little more this week but I need to decide weather I'm keeping it this week or not, I'm still in the return window. Odly enough there are alot of people tuning this receiver that haven't had any problems. So I'm gonna switch my Pvr box with the one upstairs and see if it changes anything. I just want to eliminate my hardware as the issue. I may even go as far as buying another brand avr to see if I can get passthrough there.

The frustrating part is when I call onkyo they seem as new with the avr as I am!

lastyear4gt

Back to top Go down

Post  lastyear4gt Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:18 am

Can someone explain to me how the hdmi passthrough works? I thought for a moment this may be an issue with my sat receiver, but when selected in the HDMI menu to passthrough, my ps3 does the same thing. I assume in standby mode, the passthrough is simply a switch which means it should work no problem as there have been no setting changes since the sat was directly to the TV.

Is there another firmware update in the works to try an address this issue?

lastyear4gt

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Hi lastyear4gt,

Please take a look at page 75 in the manual as it goes into detail on how to set it up as well as what it does.

Thank you,

Forum Moderator.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lastyear4gt Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:09 pm

I have read page 75 and any other page linked into there forwards, backwards, inside and out and it is not working as described. I've placed 2 calls to tech support, both times I was told to take the unit back as its not working as designed. I did so and the replacement does the same thing. Ill call again tonight. But if the answer is "exchange it again", it will be returned.

I asked if there is another firmware update in the works. It has the July 24th release already, did not help.

lastyear4gt

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi lastyear4gt,

I've personally tested this on our slim model PS3 in our lab and it works fine. I also have the latest firmware installed. Have you tried to unplug the receiver for about a minute while the HDMI cables are unplugged as this may help?

Thank you,

Forum Moderator.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lastyear4gt Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:16 am

I tried that last night, switched cables, inputs, a few more settings. Neither my ps3 or my sat box passes audio, which leaves 3 possible options: the receiver, the tv or the cable going to the tv. The fact that with the receiver on and the audio out set to "TV speakers", the audio works fine, and ps3/sat box linked directly to TV works fine, I'm thinking this is an AVR issue.

Any thoughts?

lastyear4gt

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi lastyear4gt,

As I've tested this same scenario on our receiver in our lab and it did work the only conclusion I have is it is the receiver and my suggestion is to either get it exchanged from the dealer if you are within their return period or have it further evaluated at one or our authorized service center. Authorized service centers can be found on our main page under support.

Thank you,

Forum Moderator.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lastyear4gt Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Ok, who specifically should I call to work through this issue with me. I have placed numerous calls to customer support and each time its a different person and the result is different. There are also some people on other forums who have had this problem and ones that haven't. I want to ensure this is not something that I'm doing wrong before I give up on this receiver.

lastyear4gt

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:56 pm

Hi lastyear4gt,

I would contact a service center near you. As I've said you may find one on our main page under support.

Thank you,

Forum Moderator.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lastyear4gt Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:53 am

I'm not taking the receiver in for service as its only 5 days old (on the second receiver). I finally
Broke down and bought a 6ft monster thx certified high speed HDMI with Ethernet to connect to the tv from receiver as my last diagnostic. Still no audio. I was instructed to take it back if it didn't work. So that's what I'm gonna do.

lastyear4gt

Back to top Go down

Post  lastyear4gt Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:59 am

Just thought I'd update. I tried my little Samsung LCD with the receiver, passthrough works fine. The problem is my LG tv. I don't know why, I've tried all the settings, but that's the problem.

I can officially say I have no problems with the 818, amazing unit. I'm very glad I could rectify the problem, I love this receiver.

lastyear4gt

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:13 pm

Hi lastyear4gt,

I am glad you were able to get your issue resolved.

Thank you,

Forum Moderator.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

TX-NR818 HDMI passthrough not working; no audio Empty Huh?what did you do

Post  justin82 Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi, i do not understand. What did you do to fix the problem? Seems like i am having similar problems. You were having lots of problems and then suddenly it started working without issue. Please explain

justin82

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down