Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR515 Playstaion video loss

3 posters

Go down

TX-NR515 Playstaion video loss Empty TX-NR515 Playstaion video loss

Post  Capt_Tom Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:21 pm

I have a PS3 connected to the "GAME" HDMI connection and a DirectTV HD-DVR connected to the "CBL/SAT" HDMI. If I turn on the PS3 and then switch to the GAME input, the image will not show. If I switch back to the CBL/SAT, the picture comes back. If I then switch back to the GAME the PS3 picture is there. Now, I have a picture, but if I select "Amazon Prime" or try to play a BD, some blinking happens and the screen is now blank again. Switch to CBL/SAT got a picture, switch back to GAME the Amazon prime screen or BD is now visable.

Seems to me that the PS3 is doing some sort of video format switching and the NR515 cannot figure it out unless I switch to another input that has a signal.

Any Ideas...

Capt_Tom

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 Playstaion video loss Empty Re: TX-NR515 Playstaion video loss

Post  ejronin Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:52 am

Capt_Tom wrote:I have a PS3 connected to the "GAME" HDMI connection and a DirectTV HD-DVR connected to the "CBL/SAT" HDMI. If I turn on the PS3 and then switch to the GAME input, the image will not show. If I switch back to the CBL/SAT, the picture comes back. If I then switch back to the GAME the PS3 picture is there. Now, I have a picture, but if I select "Amazon Prime" or try to play a BD, some blinking happens and the screen is now blank again. Switch to CBL/SAT got a picture, switch back to GAME the Amazon prime screen or BD is now visable.

Seems to me that the PS3 is doing some sort of video format switching and the NR515 cannot figure it out unless I switch to another input that has a signal.

Any Ideas...

Based purely on what you describe it sounds like a handshake issue between devices.

1.) like anything, check the cable because a flaky cable could only pass intermittent or a certain range of signal.
2.) go through the PS3 settings (Display) and make sure that you don't have any funky settings that could cause a latent initialization issue (deep color, resolution, audio signal ranges, etc)
3.) go through the Onkyo receiver settings and check your video options to ensure that there aren't conflicts between what the PS3 is sending and what the Receiver is expecting or being told to do.

I had a similar issue with my Direct TV (HR24-100) box, and discovered it was a faulty cable, but again, if you check your receiver settings and ensure that it's not expecting anything beyond the scope of the HDMI cable in use AND what the PS3 is attempting to send.... it should be okay.

A final note, it may NOT be the receiver. It could be the TV and how it is handling the input. Remember, the PS3>Receiver>TV is more steps that PS3>TV, so there's a lot more going on. If your TV is like mine and likes to attempt to switch modes, it can, at times cause a snag.

ejronin

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 Playstaion video loss Empty Re: TX-NR515 Playstaion video loss

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:26 pm

Hi ejronin,

Thanks for the assist.

Forum Moderator.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down