Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR 616 Zone 2 Actitvation--no sound from analog sources

3 posters

Go down

TX-NR 616  Zone 2 Actitvation--no sound from analog sources Empty TX-NR 616 Zone 2 Actitvation--no sound from analog sources

Post  still2grumpy1 Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:48 am

Hey everyone, I just got this receiver and have been trying to work through all the issues with firmware updates, and connections, and seem to have some issues with the receiver retaining it's memory of the updates, and still have no sound from zone 2. I have read in other posts about what zone 2 will do or doesn't do, (only uses analog), fine, but what else is necessary to get sound to these set of speaker connections?

The "memory issue" is weird, I performed the updates, reset the settings, but it seems like every 2 or 3 times of turning off, then back on later, the receiver seems to "reboot" from the initial setup screen, as if it's the first time. I need to go back to check to be sure the firmware update is current, but anything others ideas to this "ghost in the machine"?

Thanks in advance!

still2grumpy1

Back to top Go down

TX-NR 616  Zone 2 Actitvation--no sound from analog sources Empty Re: TX-NR 616 Zone 2 Actitvation--no sound from analog sources

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:26 pm

Hi still2grumpy1,

Two things to make Zone-2 work. One is have you activated it and two have you increased the volume?

Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

TX-NR 616  Zone 2 Actitvation--no sound from analog sources Empty Re: TX-NR 616 Zone 2 Actitvation--no sound from analog sources

Post  still2grumpy1 Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:17 pm

I will check my system again tonight to be sure zone 2 is activated. Is volume control much less than main volume? (less power to Z2 speakers), and requires higher volume to operate?

On another topic, can you re-install the same firmware update, if it has already been installed, but maybe got corrupted during install? I don't know if this is even a possiblity, but if I download on to a usb drive and install instead of through my ethernet connection, would it copy over existing version?

still2grumpy1

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Hi still2grumpy1,

Initially zone-2 volume is much less and will need to be increased. On the other topic of if you can re-install the same firmware to the receiver the answer to that is no. Please let me know what the outcome is.

Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  still2grumpy1 Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:21 pm

Ok, so I have reset all the settings, made sure that the zone2 was activated, still no sound from Z2 speakers from any analog source including radio,net, or other connections. Where am I going wrong? Did I leave off a step? Volume is up, no muting, using the 2nd volume control. Any ideas would be greatful!

still2grumpy1

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi still2grumpy1,

The radio should at least give you some type of static if the antenna is connected and the volume is raised. If none of this works then I would suggest the unit be returned for an exchange with the dealer if you are within the dealers exchange period.

Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  still2grumpy1 Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:04 pm

Are the zone 2 line out jacks and the zone 2 speakers connections on the same circuitry, or could I potentially connect with another receiver and connect speakers to it, to have zone 2 capability?

still2grumpy1

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:09 pm

Hi still2grumpy1,

If you are not receiving any audio from zone-2 then trying to bypass it and use the zone-2 line-out isn't going to work either as they are typically on the same circuit.

Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  still2grumpy1 Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:58 pm

Well...an Update, Came home to try one last idea, that of connecting to the zone 2 line out jacks in hopes to see if sounds would be heard from z2 speakers. But, before i made final connection, i tried one attempt at making sure Z2 was enabled,(yes) power to Z2 checked in speaker setup, (yes), and turned to radio for 1st 'analog" signal. BINGO! sound, I may have been using wrong volume control on remote. (thought it was the grey control), when actually uses white, (same as main volume), tried Ipod connection, works fine,tried other analog connection for sat. radio, works fine. I went back to confirm all connections again just to cover all connections, it appears EVERYTHING works on this receiver as it should. I am not sure why, or how, and will continue to watch for glitches, and update at a later time.

Maybe it just needed time to get circuitry time to burn in, and for the network to settle in while all the connections I have. The only thing I did different last night, was play a Blu-ray, as a test, and streamed music from phone. It's nice to see what this receiver's potential has, once all the components are finally working together.

still2grumpy1

Back to top Go down

TX-NR 616  Zone 2 Actitvation--no sound from analog sources Empty Zone 2 Volume

Post  MusicLover Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:24 am

Since I still cannot get Zone 2 speakers working (TX-NR616), I have a question.

Assuming one day I get zone 2 speakers working , I am putting them outside (why I bought this unit in the first place)...

so the official Onkyo iphone/Android remote, will it control the Zone 2 speaker volume.

I called Onkyo before buying this unit and was told 100% yes it will, but I have sadly learned to not believe things Onkyo tells me in its current climate. Unlike the wonderful Onkyo products I used the last 15 years.

MusicLover

Back to top Go down

Post  still2grumpy1 Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:10 am

I might make a suggestion on how to get the zone 2 speakers to work. When I was checking connections, I wanted to see if the zone 2 "line out" jack worked. Once I plugged a component into the jack, of course no sound came out, but I did hear the speakers come on for the first time. I don't know if that has any bearing on your set up, but might be worth a try, as they have worked fine since, and with the remote app, I really like controlling volume, and streaming from ipod, or other media from usb, phone.

still2grumpy1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down