Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NR616 HDMI MAIN failure

2 posters

Go down

NR616 HDMI MAIN failure Empty NR616 HDMI MAIN failure

Post  efranklin Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:56 pm

I ordered this product from newegg. Within a few days, the main HDMI output failed. I sent it back to newegg and ordered an identical replacement from Amazon. Within a few days, the main HDMI output on the replacement receiver failed. In the meantime, I had moved my equipment from my equipment closet (80' HDMI cable, ...) to the TV shelf, rewired speakers, etc.

I fiddled with the replacement NR616 and eventually the HDMI output began working again. Yesterday, I was able to make it fail and then "fix it" twice. The failure occurs occasionally when I switch from TV/CD to PC inputs. I "fix it" by switching to TV input, power cycling the NR616, then switching to the PC input.

My system is simple. I have all speakers and Ethernet wires connected. I have three 3 foot HDMI cables connected: 1, blu-ray player, 5, Media Center PC, and HDMI Main out to my TV. All devices have CEC enabled and I am using ARC for audio input from the LG LED TV to the NR616. The firmware is up to date. Network radio is configured, but rarely used.

We normally watch the Media Center PC. Occasionally, I switch from the PC to the TV internal tuner, usually to get around a Media Center software issue. When I switch back to watch Media Center, the Onkyo may or may not work. When it fails, HDMI Main output has no video output.

My conclusion is that Onkyo has an HDMI firmware problem. If I don't get a firmware fix PDQ, I will return this NR616 to Amazon and order another Yamaha A/V receiver from somewhere on the web.

I have seen numerous reports of NR616 HDMI MAIN output failures, reports of firmware fixes that don't work, and reports of Onkyo customer support failures. I have had several Yamaha receivers, none of which was nearly this problematic. This was my first foray into Onkyo receiver land. I think it's great getting such features in this price range, but that means nothing if the product doesn't work and receives only poor support.

efranklin

Back to top Go down

NR616 HDMI MAIN failure Empty Re: NR616 HDMI MAIN failure

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:41 pm

Hi efranklin,

A couple of things to try, have you tried this setup with a shorter HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV? Also have you tried this same setup with an HDMI signal booster? What firmware version are you running?

Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  efranklin Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:59 pm

Please re-read my original post. My original NR616 used an 80'+ HDMI cable.

My replacement NR616, however, has a three 3' cables, one of which connects HDMI MAIN output to my LG TV HDMI input. Can't get any shorter than that. Both receivers exhibited the same HDMI MAIN failure. Note that the original NR616 HDMI SUB worked OK even when HDMI MAIN was dark. HDMI SUB, of course, has no NR616 OSD, CEC, or ARC. I have not taken the effort to try HDMI SUB with the newer replacement NR616. I have tried configuring Monitor Out to MAIN then BOTH with no difference in HDMI MAIN failure symptoms.

efranklin

Back to top Go down

NR616 HDMI MAIN failure Empty Firmware

Post  efranklin Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:02 pm

Again, I refer you to my original post where I state that the receiver is running the latest firmware. I click on HOME, FIRMWARE UPDATE, and all that happens is a display of my firmware version: 110-8106-0300. My NR616 is wired to my home network and therefore to the Internet.

efranklin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down