Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HDMI input resolution control

2 posters

Go down

HDMI input resolution control Empty HDMI input resolution control

Post  ifdefmoose Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:36 pm

I have a new Onkyo TX-NR809 connected to an older HD TV with a single DVI input (no HDMI). The TV supports 720p and 1080i, but not 1080p. I have connected all my other video components (cable box [HDMI], Blu-ray player [HDMI], DVD recorder [component]) to the receiver, and set the video resolution of each component to 1080i.

I want to connect my iPad2 through the Digital A/V adapter to the receiver's front HDMI port. However, when I do this, the iPad sets the resolution of its HDMI signal to 1080p, which my TV does not support. When I connect the ipad directly to the TV it works correctly (but, since it's a DVI connection, there's no sound. Also, I want to use the convenient front panel HDMI input on the receiver). The receiver upscales video to higher resolutions, but doesn't downconvert.

The iPad, of course, has no way to set the resolution of the digital video output; it automatically sets itself to the highest resolution supported by the connected device. That's why it works when directly connected to the TV.

Is there a way to set the receiver so that the resolution of HDMI input is set to 1080i or 720p?

Thanks,
David

Last edited by ifdefmoose on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

ifdefmoose

Back to top Go down

HDMI input resolution control Empty Re: HDMI input resolution control

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:45 pm

Hi David,
I will have to look into an answer for you. However, I am on my way out for the evening, but I will get back to you with an answer first thing tomorrow morning. I did not want you to think we forgot about you. Thank you for your patience.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:56 pm

Hi David,
I have an answer for you earlier than I thought I would. If you go to page 45 in your manual it will tell you all of your options for setting the resolution. For example if you select Auto it will automatically have the receiver convert video to a resolution that is supported by your TV. If you do not have an owners manual here is our blog post on how to download one: http://onkyousacustomersupportblog.wordpress.com/2011/09/13/owner%e2%80%99s-manuals/
Thank you for contacting us at Product Support. Have a good night!
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

HDMI input resolution control Empty That doesn't work

Post  ifdefmoose Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:20 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply to my question. I apologize that it took me so long to respond.

I have already tried your suggestion, and I retried it tonight. It doesn't work. The resolution control in the receiver menu is for upscaling, but I need it to downscale, and it doesn't do that. The TV is only capable of 1080i or 720p, but not 1080p. There must be something in the HDMI/DVI interface that presents the maximum resolution, so the iPad works when connected directly to the TV's DVI input. When connected to the receiver's HDMI input, unfortunately, the receiver seems to be presenting a 1080p capable HDMI interface to the iPad, so the iPad runs at that resolution, and the receiver is not capable of downscaling to a resolution supported by the TV. Since the receiver is not capable of downscaling the signal, it should not present a higher resolution capability to the connected input device than the monitor output interface is capable of displaying, but I guess it's not doing that. And since the input device is made by Apple, it's not surprising that the technical underpinnings of the interface are hidden, and there's no way that I have yet found to set the output resolution on the iPad itself.

Thanks for trying.
David

ifdefmoose

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:00 am

We apologies that the suggestion did not help you. You are correct and unbfortunately the receivers do not downscale. Thank you again for contacting us and please feel free to do so again if you need further assistance.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down