Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

is onkyo having handshake issues with ROKU boxes??

4 posters

Go down

is onkyo having handshake issues with ROKU boxes?? Empty is onkyo having handshake issues with ROKU boxes??

Post  david0406 Fri May 04, 2012 7:55 pm

I am having a problem with a handshake issue between my NR609 and my ROKU2 XD. When i stream netflix in DD+ then switch to my set top box then back to my ROKU2 the OSD of the NR609 is pink. Now that being said if I stream netflix in 2.0 stereo then handshake issues do not occur. I have bought new high speed hdmi cables, changed every setting from through to direct and every other setting I can possibly try on the Onkyo and get the same result. Keep in mind this is a hdmi switching issue. I use a Harmony one remote and if i start with the "watch ROkU" activity the handshake is always made. This only occurs when i stream in DD+ then start switching inputs. Seems like maybe Onkyo needs a firmware update specific to these particular Roku boxes. The OSD of the AVR is always pink when this issue occurs. Any advice? Is Onkyo having hdmi issues with these boxes??

david0406

Back to top Go down

is onkyo having handshake issues with ROKU boxes?? Empty Maybe Not The Onkyo

Post  Tutontow Sat May 05, 2012 11:26 am

I have handshake issues with my Sony receiver and the Roku. Doesn't bother me too much because I watch Netflix through my Roku 99.99999% of the time. BTW my 609 should arrive today. I am cautiously optimistic. It is quite and upgrade from my Sony.

Tutontow

Back to top Go down

is onkyo having handshake issues with ROKU boxes?? Empty Re: is onkyo having handshake issues with ROKU boxes??

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon May 07, 2012 5:19 pm

Hi david0406,

It appears that Roku is having handshake issues with several manufacturers not only ours. I will ask our engineers about this and see what they say is being done.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

is onkyo having handshake issues with ROKU boxes?? Empty Re: is onkyo having handshake issues with ROKU boxes??

Post  david0406 Tue May 08, 2012 12:47 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:Hi david0406,

It appears that Roku is having handshake issues with several manufacturers not only ours. I will ask our engineers about this and see what they say is being done.

Thanks. Please let me know what they say. I am thinking of purchasing a different device to stream Netflix. It's just annoying knowing that I cant do anything to get this handshake issue corrected. I have tried everything for remote delays to all the different resolution settings on the Onkyo and I always get the same result. Thanks. Once again please let me know.

david0406

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue May 08, 2012 2:52 pm

Hi david0406,

I will let you know what they say as soon as they get back to me on this. Thank you for your patience.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  donbga Tue May 08, 2012 9:30 pm

I just received my HT-R590 HTIB yesterday and solved the same problem.

Go to your setup menu and set your audio for 5.1 and that will solve your problem.

donbga Very Happy

donbga

Back to top Go down

Post  david0406 Tue May 08, 2012 11:01 pm

donbga wrote:I just received my HT-R590 HTIB yesterday and solved the same problem.

Go to your setup menu and set your audio for 5.1 and that will solve your problem.

donbga Very Happy

Thanks guy. That is not the issue. The Roku2 is set to 5.1. Something is occuring when I stream DD+ and then start switching inputs back and forth between the STB and the Roku2 hdmi inputs. There are NO handshake and hdmi switching issues until I stream in DD+. My Onkyo NR 609 is not liking something.

david0406

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed May 09, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi david0406,

I am still waiting on our engineering department to get back to me on this. Thank you for your patience.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  david0406 Fri May 11, 2012 7:04 am

WOW! I was not expecting what I got when I got this new device. I don't want to sit here and beat down the Roku2 but the difference in video quality is stunning in my opinion. The colors all seem correct and there is no black level issues. I never expected to see this difference. This is making my Netflix subscription that much more enjoyable. I have been a fan of Roku since I hopped on to this technology but I must say that I would have to recommend my new device hands down over the Roku2 for video quality. Now that being said if you are looking for quantity of content then Roku is king. This device does not have near the content that Roku has but makes up for it in video quality. I also now have You tube, Vudu, and Spotify. Apps Roku does not have. And guess what else. I HAVE NO HANDSHAKE ISSUES. ALL HANDSHAKE ISSUES COMPLETE WHEN SWITCHING INPUTS ON MY REPEATER ( AVR) . This device does have a power button so I am assuming that it does actually turn itself on and off. Maybe this is what is causing the handshake issues on the Roku since the HDMI signal is always present. Well 2 weeks of frustration has finally ended and I am ECSTATIC. Sorry Roku but you have been dethroned in my house. Correct colors and no black level issues. Just WOW. I really never expected it.

david0406

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri May 11, 2012 2:11 pm

Hi david0406,

Glad you were able to resolve your issue.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down