Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HT-RC180 HDMI Issues and then Complete short out and shooting sparks

3 posters

Go down

HT-RC180 HDMI Issues and then Complete short out and shooting sparks Empty HT-RC180 HDMI Issues and then Complete short out and shooting sparks

Post  Dubs29 Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:18 am

I was having the HDMI issue and was told by Onkyo to do a system reset. I did that which helped for about 2 hours. I had to rerun all the calibration and other settings and things were working. The sound level was higher after doing this and i figured it must have been my imagination. After doing that I was 20 minutes into a movie at low level when sparks started shooting out of the top vents of the receiver and smoke started pluming through. I jumped up and quickly unplugged the unit. I then immediately checked to ensure nothing caught on fire.
After not seeing anything, I tried calling Onkyo. No answer, left message. Next day called no answer left message. I then emailed the support line, nothing. Finally I got a hold of a real person, gave him my serial number and info. He said I needed to send the unit in the the michigan repair center as it's still under warranty with a copy of receipt to show when purchased. He said I would get an RMA yet nothing has arrived. Called back, no answer and left message again. What's the deal Onkyo? I have a flawed unit that THANKFULLY did not catch my house on fire! WHY can't I get someone to give me the time of day to get this handled?

Dubs29

Back to top Go down

HT-RC180 HDMI Issues and then Complete short out and shooting sparks Empty Re: HT-RC180 HDMI Issues and then Complete short out and shooting sparks

Post  Dubs29 Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:40 pm

I was contacted here on line and will be shipping off soon to have this receiver "Hopefully" Fixed!!!!!
Has Anyone used Jim's Video and Audio out of Missouri before? Just wondering if they do quality work from those of you getting your units worked on. Needless to say I don't want to ship this off and wait forever to get this repaired.
Any insight from the gallery would be great! Very Happy

Dubs29

Back to top Go down

HT-RC180 HDMI Issues and then Complete short out and shooting sparks Empty Re: HT-RC180 HDMI Issues and then Complete short out and shooting sparks

Post  Dubs29 Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:43 am

The Receiver made it to the repair center yesterday. So now it's a waiting game to see what all is wrong with it. Next I'm praying wont be the dreaded we don't have parts or their on perpetual back order like I have read throughout this forum! Will update as this story goes on.

Dubs29

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:37 pm

Please review the PM sent to you so I can further have this service issue followed-up promptly.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

HT-RC180 HDMI Issues and then Complete short out and shooting sparks Empty ** Updated Status **

Post  Dubs29 Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:17 pm

*****UPDATED***** 9-21-2012

I talked to the guys doing the repair today at approximately 2:45pm. He stated the unit is in need of major repair. There are over "20" transistors along with the HDMI card and possibly power supply that all need replacement. I asked him what the time frame was for repair. He stated there was no knowing as they placed the order for replacement parts from ONKYO and have heard nothing yet. I was told the best case scenario if parts are available and come in early next week by Tuesday would be two weeks if they had no other problems. If parts are on back order as apparently they are according to multiple posts (Kristophorus and his unit and others) on here I will not see my receiver till December or later. Shocked

I have updated the Mods on my situation to see what can be done to either speed this up or replace my unit. I have no desire of waiting 4 months for a repair that may not work by the looks of how many have been supposedly repaired only to still not work.

Dubs29

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:01 pm

I will follow up with the Parts & Services department and provide more information promptly; during normal business hours.

Thank You for your patience and cooperation;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dubs29 Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:57 pm

I spoke with the repair location again this morning hoping the parts may have come in. They did not and the center has received no contact nor delivery tracking notifications from Onkyo to date. I also asked for clarification of issues with my unit. They stated that 20+ Transistors, Resistors, Capacitors, along with Power Supply, and HDMI board were just to name a few things that needed replacement. So they expect the parts to come in waves not all at once. So after one set comes in they will set a replacement time (when not busy with other peoples items) for that set of problems. Then they will wait for the next set of parts and so on. So Yeah I am getting the feeling this process will take MONTHS. So Moderator Please do let me know what you hear from the Parts and Service Dept. as it currently stands things do not look good. affraid

Dubs29

Back to top Go down

Post  Paladin2187 Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:02 pm

Wow, that seems like at that point, a new unit should be delivered. It has to be more cost effective to just replace it and do the repair at the factory or just recover what parts are still working and make a 'reconditioned' unit for sale.

Paladin2187

Back to top Go down

Post  Dubs29 Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:27 pm

Paladin2187, I am worried at this point. By the time I get this thing back it will of course be out of warranty. So what happens then? I have asked for further assistance and will await hearing back. I am not happy with this situation nor is anyone else with the amount of issues going on. I am trying to be patient and work through the system as best I can. I will continue to post updates as I hear more. Crying or Very sad

Dubs29

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:41 pm

Hello Dubs29;

We are further looking into this issue and will be contacting you promptly; as I can now match the name with the forum user. You should have a response shortly.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paladin2187 Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:42 pm

Most companies have a warranty repair warranty that usually gives between 30 and 90 days warranty extension after a repair. It is mandated in many states by consumer protection law to prevent exactly what you are worried about: a company accepting a product for warranty repair, then delaying the repair until the warranty expires, then returning it untouched and leaving you out of luck.

Paladin2187

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:10 pm

Hello Paladin2187;

All warranty repairs for Onkyo receivers also carry a 90 day warranty from the service center as well. We are further evaluating this issue and will contact Dubs29 with a resolution offer promptly.

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dubs29 Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:10 pm

We are in talks as the Mod pointed out as they have just reached out. Once we come to an agreeable solution, I will let everyone know. Hopefully this can be done soon!

Dubs29

Back to top Go down

HT-RC180 HDMI Issues and then Complete short out and shooting sparks Empty Agreement made

Post  Dubs29 Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:31 pm

Dubs29,

I (Moderator) spoke to the service center and they will be sending out your old unit to me. Once I get it I will have our order department send out your new replacement unit. Feel free to post your delight on the forum, we are trying to help all of our customers resolve these issue but as you know things do not always work as fast as we would want it to.

At any rate I will email you soon with the tracking information.

So YES, I am VERY EXCITED that we came to an agreement on this matter! I will post again just as soon as I have the New Unit in hand, set-up and Especially WORKING! cheers
Stay the course folks and things will get better! At least that is my serious hope!!!!!

Dubs29

Back to top Go down

HT-RC180 HDMI Issues and then Complete short out and shooting sparks Empty Held up my side of the bargain so far.

Post  Dubs29 Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:31 pm

To update everyone as promised:
My old unit arrived today (10/2/2012) from the repair center to Onkyo's HQ in New Jersey. So I have held up my part of the swap deal so far. Now I will await the promised shipment of my replacement unit per our agreement. Once I get the unit I will update again. Though you can be sure I will post sooner if the replacement fails to ship. I of course am very excited to have a working receiver again. I'm dying to watch the Newly released Avengers in my home to christen the unit. Twisted Evil

Good Luck Everyone!!!!!

Dubs29

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:59 pm

I will alert the proper departments and advise you of the tracking number of your unit's shipment promptly.

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dubs29 Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:45 pm

SO, I Had Expected to hear from Onkyo Today about that promised shipment and tracking number. Day 1 is done and I HEARD NOTHING!
To be fair it has only been One day since they received my old unit. Yet I had made sure they were aware by notifying them for two days that it was almost there and as soon as it arrived. So it should be fresh on their minds. Anyway tomorrow's a WHOLE new day for them make good.

Dubs29

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:36 am

Hello Dubs29;

Unit has already been marked as recieved by the our shipping department and will provide the outbound tracking number promptly via PM.

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dubs29 Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:00 pm

Onkyo Followed Through and replaced my receiver!!!!!

I just got it set-up and I am thrilled to have music and cinematic sound once again!
It took some work and some time yet Onkyo came through as promised! For that I Thank You cheers

I pray this one last for many many years!!!!!

Good Luck to everyone else! You can be sure I will be watching this space for the latest issues and praying there aren't any Rolling Eyes

Dubs29

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:40 am

We are happy to be of assistance, enjoy!

Forum Modarator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down