Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HT-S5400 sub dead...no recall?

2 posters

Go down

HT-S5400 sub dead...no recall? Empty HT-S5400 sub dead...no recall?

Post  meganame Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:17 am

Anybody having the dead sub problem while they don't qualify for the recall? My sub works in some modes...most of the time but in other modes, it never works. This was my big test system for Onkyo. I've heard good things so I bought a lower end system for a small room to see if I'd be happy with a better system for the living room. I'll try not to judge them based on this until I see how it pans out. Nobody's perfect so I can handle a mistake. Hopefully they'll either fix it or it'll turn out I haven't enabled something...cross your fingers for me. I'll update if I get a solution.
Examples:

Music
- Optical input from TV.
- Listening to Pandora through my Samsung E6500 plasma.
- All Channel Stereo mode.
- Sub knob at 50%.
- Sub works. Blue light.

Movies
- Optical input from TV.
- Watching a Blu-Ray rip from my USB drive connected to my Samsung E6500.
- Direct mode.
- Sub knob at 50%.
- No sound from sub. Red light.

I see there has been a recall on this sub but according to the serial check, I don't qualify.
(I'd link you to it but I can't post links yet.)

Onkyo USA has determined that there is a high probability that the voice coil of certain of the subwoofers in the Home Theater and Speaker systems listed below may open; consequently, the subwoofer will stop functioning.

For our valued customers, Onkyo USA has a speaker driver replacement program for the affected subwoofers. It is important that you check the model and serial number of your subwoofer.

Please follow the steps below to see if your subwoofer is eligible. If you are eligible for this program, an Independent Onkyo Regional Service Center will send you material and instructions to return your subwoofer.

When I enter my serial I get:

Your subwoofer is not eligible for this program.

Any thoughts, guys? I'm watching Matrix with no bass. (Imagine my sad face.)

meganame

Back to top Go down

HT-S5400 sub dead...no recall? Empty Re: HT-S5400 sub dead...no recall?

Post  meganame Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:56 pm

I've been messing around with it and it looks like nothing comes from the sub in Direct mode, even when the blue light is on.

meganame

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:32 am

Hi meganame,

Please contact our product support team at 1-800-229-1687 option #3 for further trouble shooting.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down