Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

zone 2 input?

2 posters

Go down

zone 2 input? Empty zone 2 input?

Post  sigfreund Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:38 pm

I have a TX-NR616 coming and I am trying to plan for all the cables I will need for the hook-up. I am a bit confused by a reference to inputs to zone 2 and 3 must be analog. Tell me that this doesn't mean all connection to the receiver via hdmi can't have their audio sent out zone 2 or 3? I might send the receiver back instead of having to run analog cables along with hdmi for all the devices i want to listen to in other rooms if this really is required.

sigfreund

Back to top Go down

zone 2 input? Empty Re: zone 2 input?

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi sigfreund,

You are in fact correct in that you will have to use analog cables in order to get audio to zone-2. Zone-2 will not accept a digital signal which HDMI, Optical and the digital coaxial outputs are.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sigfreund Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:49 pm

What about sending audio from Pandora or my DLNA network drive, I will not be able to listen to these sources in zone 2 or 3?

sigfreund

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi sigfreund,

By default these connections are analog so you will be able to play DLNA and any network audio to zone-2 as well as any USB audio. As long as the inputs are not digital like previously explained you will be able to have audio in zone-2.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sigfreund Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:23 pm

Why with the push to use hdmi for everything (isn't that the reason the 616 has 8 hdmi inputs) would anyone limit zone 2 and 3 like this? I could possibly understand limiting one source of digital at a time (even though decoders are cheap enough that even this seems short sighted) but no digital audio at all being sent to zone 2 or 3 is a deal breaker for me. The receiver is going back. I am convinced this omission will be fixed in a year or two so I will hang onto my 609 a bit longer. Wake up and embrace the new world, it is digital! BTW - USB is only digital.

sigfreund

Back to top Go down

Post  sigfreund Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:24 am

If zone 2 and 3 are unable to accept a digital source, what does "With connection 3(optical and coaxial), you can enjoy Dolby Digital and
DTS. (To listen in Zone 2/3 as well, use 3(optical and coaxial)" from manual page En-17. It seems to suggest that zone 2 and 3 can play sources connected to optical or coaxial.

sigfreund

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:22 pm

Hi sigfreund,

It says "(to listen in zone-2/3 as, use [3] AND [6])", if this were able to play digital in zone-2/3 it would say "OR" not "AND".
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down