Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time for a new receiver - would be my first Onkyo

+3
02Lightning
ironchef3500
@cousin_dave
7 posters

Go down

Time for a new receiver - would be my first Onkyo  Empty Time for a new receiver - would be my first Onkyo

Post  @cousin_dave Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:37 am

I'd like to get a new A/V Receiver.

Ideally I'd like a 9.2 model, but will settle for a 7.2 if it comes down to price.

Options I need: iPad/iPhone controls, 2 HDMI outputs. S-Video, Composite & Component video, digital coaxial & optical audio, phono input with ground, 5.1 channel input (for DVD-A / SACD player)

This would replace a Yamaha RX-V1900, I'm happy with the Yamaha I have now but I really want something with iPad/iPhone controls

In addition to models from Yamaha, I will consider models from manufacturers like: Denon, Onkyo, Harman Kardon, Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, etc...

I'm using an Epson 1080p front projector and a video capture card - both accept HDMI, however the video capture card does not do 1080p, it down converts to 720p.

Main speakers are a pair of Infinity SM-125 towers, Center Channel SM-Video , and 3 pair of SM-65 for the presence, surround, and back speakers. If I get a 9.2 receiver, I'll track down another pair of SM-65. I've got 2 12" powered JBL subwoofers

As for sources I have, Dish Network Hopper DVR, Apple Mac Mini, Windows Media Center PC, turntable, LD player (the finest quality of original the Star Wars movies available) S-VHS VCR (used to connect old video game consoles with RF output: Atari VCS/2600, Intelivision, ColecoVision, etc...) DVD-A/SACD/DVD player. PS3 is my primary Blu-Ray player, Xbox360 for HD-DVDs, various other video game systems that use composite, S-Video, Component video & digital audio. The more inputs the better, but I have external A/V selectors. I'd also really like "XM Ready" input, but it looks like that feature is no longer available. VGA would be nice but its not a deal breaker since I can use HDMI, but have to use optical audio anyway. The Mac Mini will just use HDMI. I've got a Logitech Revue but it dosen't seem to work with the Dish Network Hopper.

Anyway let me know what you would suggest

Oh and I'd really like it if a fully automatic direct drive turntable were to be made. I'd be happy to pay $500 for one today.

@cousin_dave

Back to top Go down

Time for a new receiver - would be my first Onkyo  Empty Be careful

Post  ironchef3500 Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:17 am

Horrible customer service. And the quality is not all I assumed that it was.

ironchef3500

Back to top Go down

Time for a new receiver - would be my first Onkyo  Empty Re: Time for a new receiver - would be my first Onkyo

Post  02Lightning Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:57 am

But, Onkyo gives you the best bang for the buck. Whatever you get, get something with Audyssey XT32

02Lightning

Back to top Go down

Time for a new receiver - would be my first Onkyo  Empty Re: Time for a new receiver - would be my first Onkyo

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi 02Lightning,

Thank you for the accolades. Keep in mind that not all of our units have the Audyssey XT32 feature.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guindalf Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:13 pm

...or a feature that allows you to turn it on with the remote.

...or a feature that provides constant HDMI output.

...or a feature that allows Spotify to log in.

...or a feature that allows you to successfully stream music.

...or a feature that allows you to update the firmware when a new one is available.

...or a feature that allows for decent customer support.

...I could go on...

If you want something decent, buy a different brand. One that doesn't expect you to be a guinea pig for failed firmware updates and then no response when you wonder what went wrong - and no compensation when you spend you hard-earned money on a paperweight!

Guindalf

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeron Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:57 pm

Yes.

Look elsewhere. This TX-NR616 is my first and last Onkyo product.

I had specific needs and the TX-NR616 ON PAPER had everything I wanted for less than a thousand dollars YIPPEE, but a feature doesn't matter if it doesn't work. I'd rather pay twice as much for a receiver with a remote that is user friendly and actually works.

It would be nice to get a user manual with the product, so you don't have to use an ink cartridge to print it out or move your computer into the living room to look at the manual while trying to configure the system through the confusing menu.

Customer support that actually read your questions in email and replied to them would be nice. Replies other than "did" you follow the instructions on page 42 of the manual (that you didn't get with the product) would be nice.

Would it be too much to ask for a "feature" of the menu that tells us why an item that you want to access is greyed out? My Audessy (sp?) menu item is greyed out and I have a problem that customer service is telling me I can fix from that menu. Gee I need customer support for my customer support.

Is there ANY way I can tell this lame remote to NOT switch modes to the device when I change my input? I ONLY use the Onkyo remote for the receiver, yet I press the Receiver button so the Onlyo remote will control the Onkyk device it came with more than any other button; eg the remote behaves like it doesn't want to have anything to do with the receiver.

I am really getting tired of unplugging the receiver and plugging it back in so the HDMI out will actually output anything, so I bought one of those timers that you plug a lamp into when you go on vacation. Now the receiver automatically gets unplugged at 3am every night to reset the HDMI service - seemed to help

Or how about customer service that doesn't contradict itself. Outputting to zone 2 has so far been impossible for me. In one reply, customer service says it can only output an analog signal. Then in a later reply he says it can output from USB or NET.

WiFi was something I wanted I was told by the rep to save the receipt and box for proof of purchase and go to the Onkyo web site for a free wifi adapter when it came out. TURNS OUT THAT WAS A LIE

Video up scaling? If this receiver actually does do any kind of video processing I'm not seeing it. My 5 year old receiver did a better and more noticeable job.

I could go on and on, but I hate reading posts from whiners and this post sounds like I'm a whiner...

I guess that is what buying an Onkyo does to some people Smile

On the bright side, I can see how most of the major problems I am having can be "fixed" with firmware, but I'm not very impressed with my experience upgrading the firmware; eg a day after releasing it they say how bad it is? That is just poor quality assurance.

Jeron

Back to top Go down

Time for a new receiver - would be my first Onkyo  Empty 515/616 not turning on receiver

Post  onestop Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:40 am

I guess you guys are kinda lucky that you didn't buy 6 of these products then install them in the customers house.... now its over 30 days without a fix the distributor will not exchange them because they are over 30 days we tried the new firmware today, still no fix, can you imagine the look on my customers face when we keep telling them it will be fix soon.

We have just given up on onkyo, my company has switch over to Denon, they seem to be working just fine.. its a shame because we have been installing onkyo without issues before the new series came out. well good luck guys with the the lamp timer lol & turning the receiver on by hand..

onestop

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down